Latest Anti-Blue tech

E

EricBess

Last Word - 2UU
Instant (R)
Last Word can't be countered by spell or abilities.
Counter target spell.

Wizards has finally done it. Blue has gotten so powerful that even blue itself needs an anti-blue card...

N

Notepad

Who ever counters a counter, anyway? That happens so rarely.

What I like about this isn't it's power, but what it says about blue and counterspelling in general: That basic "counter target spell" is moving closer and closert to costing a general 2UU to cast. Now, what blue-hating mage can't love that?

Finally, those who cried over the watering down of direct damage can at least cheer about blue's countering joining the ranks of watered down abilities. :D

O

orgg

Blue already had anti-blue measures.

I prefer winning a Psychic Battle.

It's even more fun when the only counterspell YOU use is that one that lets you steal their spell and play it for free!

I

Istanbul

Funny thing is, all these counterspells...Discombobulate, Rewind, and now this...are countermagic with abilities added on.

I have a feeling that right now, basic countermagic costs 1UU.

N

Notepad

1UU sounds about right, but it looks like they're ramping it up ever so slowly.

Notice how much weaker this new ability is than Discombobulate, even? Notice how much horribly weaker it is than Rewind? Soon enough they'll just drop the ability.

Exactly the same way Lightning Bolt became Volcanic Hammer over the course of "tweaks here and there"

N

Notepad

Ah, yes, I like those cards, too.

Unfortunately, as I play casual a lot, I don't get to use them so often. Counter decks are like Plat Angel decks: You don't often see them in casual, but when they pop up they sure are annoying.

M

Mikeymike

Actually, I think its pretty freaking strong. How many times in serious control matchups to you see counter wars? A lot probably. Hell, even in casual I see them every now and again.

This guarantees that you will be able to stop any spell coming out from your opponent (minus uncounterable stuff of course). So many times I've rolled into a U/W control deck and had to stop a WoG, only to be countered in response.

N

Notepad

Non-counterable counterspells are interesting, but personally I haven't seen too many counter-wars. When I played a blue deck, I just played that Onslaught Force Spike if I needed to do that.

Though that didn't work too well. So now I use spiketail and wiz replica. ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
My group plays some blue but not a lot of counters, mainly Counterspell if at all. Most I use blue for the stealing creatures part and another player uses blue for the drawing part :)

N

Notepad

Spidey, as in that other thread, you're right in guessing players with access will just use the best printed version. Counterspell had been in print enough for any newbie to be able to pick one up cheaply. But imagine five years down the line...

...how many newbies have Dark Ritual in their black decks? Where I used to trade, the ones who had a few didn't trade them at all, and if they did it was at uncommon value. So basically newbies didn't have too good of access to them.

Lightning Bolt is a similar story. I see so many people use Volcanic Hammer, unable to pick up Lightning Bolt or even Incinerate.

Eventually, years from now, Counterspell will be the same.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
You don't see countermagic decks in casual (very often)? Funny, I see them all the time. I guess it depends where you play though. I also see plenty of decks where Platinum Angel is used heavily. None of those have been good so far though...

N

Notepad

Man, you mean y'all see countermagic in casual a lot?

I guess now that I've moved to a new area I may see it, too.

Thanks for the warnings, though. I'll remember to bring the flash grenades...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
SeFRo: You're probably right - I only play with "oldies" who have all the old cards, so I'm used to seeing them. I don't really go out and play really new people.

Although you'd think that at some point they'd see the older cards and want to either get in the formats that use them or use them in casual. And they still shouldn't be hard to get, even after another 5 years :)

T

train

I can tell you right now that Lightning bolts either trade straight over as rares, or that you can sell 4 bolts for over 5.00 on Ebay(if you get the right bidders...)

Knowing that they are everywhere only works to my advantage... and in the way of counterspell...

it won't be wanted so much once Islands are banned!...:p

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Heh, that reminds me of something from the Dojo, Train...

Straight over as rares? That's kind of ridiculous. I mean, I knew chain lightning was achieving that status, but lightning bolt? It's in 4th ed. I must have so many of those things too...

As for new players getting old cards to improve their decks. It took over two years for some guys, if I remember correctly, but at my school, after losing enough, they took that step...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
4 Bolts for just over $5 is only about $1.33 a Bolt, about worth a "cheap" rare. But I guess it's a rare vs a common card... although then you have to try to get rid of that rare.

T

train

It's all in the opportunity...

Sometimes the bolts are in bulk deals, and matched iwth rares, and sometimes they trade over for cards in muliptles...

2 recent examples -

4 bolts = armageddon, signed...
1 bolt = quirion dryad, another a mirri, cat warrior...

not primo rares, but good enough for me...:D