L33T Speek

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I know this is old but, I just heard someone at an event say the word n00b and they pronounced it as newb for newbee...... well that was interesting since I always thought it would be pronounced "no ob" or knob, since in the SAS programing language there is a option to not include observations in your output and it is "noobs", pronounced "No Obs" or "Knobs"........

It just goes to show that we are products of our environment

H

HOUTS

Several things:

Just google "All your base are belong to us". Classic video, and worldwide spread, on this phrase.

Secondly, "owned", "Pwned", "Nub", "Noob", "Pwnzered" were commonly linked back to on-line gaming. Used alot to describe the devastation one player would have over another, and what they called a NEW player to the game. Elitist Player vs. New Player.

Lastly, the l337 language has evolved (is that possible?) since it once began.
I've been using it here and there for years, and years.....
The uses of letters & numbers have changed for words. And the way it has been used, in context.
It's great to think outside the box. It's no different than Pig Latin. Just another way to express yourself on-line. Or, if you are a computer nerd, a faster, easier method.

HOUTS

D

DarthFerret

The sad thing is that someone actually said the word. At an event no less. I hate that word, (but laugh when someone tries to claim I am a n00b!)

G

Gizmo

Mooseman said:
I know this is old but, I just heard someone at an event say the word n00b and they pronounced it as newb for newbee...... well that was interesting since I always thought it would be pronounced "no ob" or knob, since in the SAS programing language there is a option to not include observations in your output and it is "noobs", pronounced "No Obs" or "Knobs"........

It just goes to show that we are products of our environment
I think it's neither of those pronunciations. It's definately NOT "no obs" or "nobs" as the root of the phrase IS newbie, but the pronunciation of "newb" would have something like a 'you' sound in the middle, at least how I would pronounce it (obviously here regional accents come into play) where the n00b is a cleaner sound without that silent 'y' in there.

G

Gizmo

Useless fact, at work I had to raise a cheque to Mr Nadjim Sh1tty. That's a really unfortunate name to go through life with.

E

evan d

There is a website that translates leet speak, but the link was on my old hard drive, no idea what it was.