Killing off the cool characters

N

Notepad

I will admit that J. Robert King is more interesting to read than the other novelists lately in the Magic universe, but that stupid horse's buttcake KILLED BRAIDS!!! What the hell!?!?!

First, he turns her into a "Manic goat" hopping around and acting like a circus clown. That was messed up, because she was a cool dark dementia personality earlier (anybody remember her imaginary friends from Judgment?). Then, King makes her a doofus clown.

Then, reading Scourge, she's just snuffed out like a lamer. Yeah, characters gotta die (I miss Chainer. Though he was cool, I understand he had to die. Skellum, too.) but the way King did in Braids sucked.

Oh, and Zagorka, too. She was interesting, being built up from two novels just to sort of be sucked up into the Karona cuncoction. What the hell was her point only to be done in so matter-of-factly?

The First, also. Sure, his death was slightly interesting because it involved Braids getting her dementia back, but it was also bland.

All three were interesting characters, but snuffed out like so many random red-shirted ensigns on Star Trek. Understandably, not everyone can have a cool death like Chainer or Laquatus, but still, so matter of fact.

Braids -- Merely buried alive and dead in a sentence.
The First -- Merely eaten by one of Braids' monsters in a low-text manner.
Zagorka -- Merely sucked up into Karona.

If only WotC can be done in as fast... heh...

N

Notepad

I thought Squee was immortal anyway. Where the hell is he? Stupid little twerp...

On another note, as mentioned at Twinkle City, the novels ignored the riptide project.

However, they also ignored the new species coming to Otaria AND the whole Mirari transforming all the lifeforms. There were no mouthless soldiers or energy clerics in the Scourge novel.

N

Nightstalkers

Development team:

Creates a storyline which sounds great and the population eats it up.

Story Writers:

Wastes their time creating a different storyline which "coencides" with the existing story put out by the development team.

Equals:

Crappy work. You have one guy not mentioning the most important parts to a story and the game suffers for it.

N

Notepad

Absolutely correct, Nightstalkers. They need some sort of coordination. They also need writers who aren't obsessed with making fart and penis jokes in every chapter the way King does.

The whole story is just one big BNet Skript Kiddie fantasy. Like wrestling, but dumber...

N

Nightstalkers

Wonder if Piers Anthony would enjoy a romp through the M:TG garden patch...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
He's one of the more prolific fantasy writers out there... author of the Xanth series notably, but lots of other stuff...

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by SeFRo
What is this Piers Anthony you speak of?
A very overrated, untalented author that lives outside of Gainesville, Florida. Most of his books involve lots of puns and lots of preaching...

-Ferret

"If he preached any more, he'd be CS Lewis"

N

Nightstalkers

Fine, if you don't like Dillingham Jacob's work, then just say so.

Also try The River of Dancing Gods trillogee by Jack L. Chalker.

N

Notepad

>> are you serious?

I have the internet, video games, and a radio that can pick up good rock channels. I don't need anything else, such as books, or TV. ;) :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Ferret
A very overrated, untalented author that lives outside of Gainesville, Florida. Most of his books involve lots of puns and lots of preaching...
I disagree. Though I haven't read any of his later stuff, say past 1990, only the Xanth series really has puns (which was kinda the point of the books). There are none to be had in the Bio of a Space Tyrant series or the Phase/Photon books. Nor in The Wyvern (I think that's what it's called). Or the book about a guy in the post-apocalyptic future where disputes are settled in a ring on the ground (I think he wrote that).

N

Notepad

>> Wonder if Piers Anthony would enjoy a romp through the M:TG garden patch...

Come to think of it, any author would be better than the crap WotC has now. *cough* J. Robert King *cough*

N

Notepad

Sorry to dissapoint you, NS, but I meant *any* writer would be better. That isn't exclusive to Piers. It means authors of children's books and the sides of cereal boxes are in there as well. I'm sure whoever writes the crappy games on the sides of Happy Meals could produce a more riveting story than King could any day.

N

Nightstalkers

The last M:TG book I read was one named Arena.

And I thought it was mediocre

N

Notepad

>> The last M:TG book I read was one named Arena. And I thought it was mediocre

That was the first Magic novel ever. I have a copy of it still--out of all the novels, its my favorite. Yes, it was mediocre, but its the best of them all. Sorta sad, ain't it?

N

Nightstalkers

Cute ending though.

Another one I read was about minotours, some tree one, and the dragons of magic.