Kaboom Deck, version 2

R

Reverend Love

I decided to take a different approach with this Kaboom deck. Instead of trying to manipulate my library, I'll just throw in a ton of expensive cycling cards. With the addition of mana fixing, and control I think this version is much better. I also added 4 Pyromancy to help make use of some of the fat cards I draw. pyrostatic pillary is really just interesting filler which fit the theme. Prophetic Bolt however is just a pet card of mine I always throw into empty slots. It's not great but hey...I'm using a deck with Kabooms so raw power really isn't important. I don't honestly expect to win very much, just sow chaos and pain. :)

Comments/Suggestions?

Main Cards: 16
4 Kaboom
4 Erratic Explosion
4 Pyromancy
4 Pyrostatic Pillar

Big Spells: 18
4 Chartooth Cougar (mountaincycle)
4 Slice and Dice (critter control/cycle)
4 Shoreline Raider (islandcycle)
2 Essence Facture (control/cycle)
2 Primoc Escapee (fatty cycler)
2 Prophetic Bolt

Artifacts: 3
3 Scroll Rack

Land: 23
4 Volcanic Islands
2 Soldevi Excavations
8 Islands
9 Mountains

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Wow, someone's actually using Pyromancy in a deck. I'd never thought I'd see the day...

Anyway, Draco or something could be a nice, huge bomb with the cards you're using.

R

Rooser

See, he landcycles all his land out. Timesifter would be awesome.

F

Force of Will Smith

Wow thats wierd. I just got back from playing my Kaboom deck.

Anyways it relies on alternate casting costs, and huge huge things.. Scroll rack was an afterthought.

you forgot a couple Huge casting cost monsters... like the insanely good Blinkmoth infusion 12UU

nothing funnier than throwing down a Sandstone needle T1, T2 playing a mountain, T3 a mountain and casting erratic and blowing up 2 mountains for a fireblast.. 20 to the head :)

4 Sandstone Needle
17 Mountains

Fatties:
4 Draco (16)
4 Blinkmoth Infusion (14)
4 Decree of Annihilation (10)
2 Aladdin's Lamp (10)

Boom:
4 Erratic Explosion
4 Pyromancy (4)
3 Kaboom (5)

Utility:
3 Scroll Rack
3 Fireblast (6)
2 Slice and Dice (6)

Alternate Cost:
3 Pyrokenesis (6)
2 Cave-In (5)

I havent built any sort of sideboard for this, but it might include:
Magma Jet to scry and
Pulverize for alt CC destroy all artifacts.

Pyromancy works well with removing red cards in your hand. Slice is mainly to kill disciples or get a card. Scroll rack is pretty cheesy, and i kind of liked the risky fun without it. Before scrolls i ran wheel of fortune/winds of chance to get that draco back in your library.

undoubtedly darksteel colossus's would be better than either decree or the lamp.. I'm just waiting for a 19 cc card with ridiculous CC conditions.

R

Reverend Love

Oversoul

Dude pyromancy is teh win for great justice! I love this damn card! I've seen it used with great success in a reanimator deck. It might be a little to wacky and inconsistent for your tastes but try it out, you might like it.

Rooser
Timesifter...hmm.

Force of Will Smith
I don't have any Draco's :( Or I'd probably using them...16 points to the dome after all.

As of yet I haven't been able to actually run my deck. Initially when building my Kaboom deck I was worried about drawing into fatties with no way of using them. But I bet a deck utilizing Scroll Racks and Pyromancy’s wouldn’t hit that wall.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I liked Pyromancy since the first time I saw it (I think it was among the earlier cards revealed for its set too). But I gave up on it long ago and never looked back until seeing this deck. It is an interesting way to go about playing red...

Are Dracos hard to get these days? I used to use two of them (with Infernal Genesis I think) and got tired of them, so I managed to trade them for Palinchrons (I was happy about that).

F

Force of Will Smith

me 2. In Legacy I grabbed 4 of them and they just sat there waiting.

Dracos are only hard to get because people don't really seek them out. Even scarce on ebay... hmm...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, Scroll Rack is great for Erratic Explosion, so I would up the count of high cc creatures and stuff (or try to get some Dracos, but that goes without saying).

If you get stuck without the ability to put them back on top of your library or play them, there's always Pyromancy...

M

Mikeymike

How about Dream Halls? It gives you a way to cast this big stuff if necessary, and generally does broken things on its own anyway. Come on, you know you want to drop a Time Stretch to that mofo.

Also, this is a big one. I smell the need for a black recursive element. You've got all these land-cyclers, and then you are discarding crap to Pyromancy.

Black would open up:
Twisted Abomination (which is the goodness)
Recursion (as noted above)
Volrath's Stronghold (yes, you know you dig it)
Vampiric Tutor
More big fatty fat-heads
Decree of Pain (when shouldn't you play this card? Mike loves)

And don't forget you can load up on dual lands, b/c the landcyclers fetch them for you. Hmm, black doesn't look so bad now.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I don't think Dream Halls would be all that amazing here...

Plus, it's restricted in Type I, as everyone loves to point out whenever I mention the wonderful, beautiful Dream Halls... ;)

I really used to think Dream Halls was broken. But seeing Mind's Desire taught me differently... :rolleyes:

R

Reverend Love

Alright Dudes. Slapping some suggestions together here's what I've got. Suggestions?

Spells:
4 Time Stretch
4 Decree of Pain
1 Dream Halls
1 Demonic Tutor
3 Pyromancy
4 Kaboom
4 Slice and Dice
2 Shoreline Raider
2 Undead Gladiator
2 Chartooth Cougar
4 Fire/Ice
3 Spite/Malice

Artifacts:
3 Scroll Rack

Land: 23
4 Badlands
4 Underground Sea
4 Volcanic Island
4 Mountains
4 Islands
3 Swamps

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Wow, I would never have thought of Time Stretch. If you get Dream Halls out, it's easily castable. And Kaboom!, Pyromancy, or Erratic Explosion could all benefit from something with such a big number in that upper corner...

Wait a minute though. I might have missed something important. Shoreline Raider?

R

Reverend Love

I kept in a little of the old deck with the land cyclers. He's expensive so useful for the boom and Pyromancy. Also helps smooth out any possible mana problems. Pitchable to Dream Halls.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
He's not that expensive and I don't see how he solves any mana problems? Are you sure we're talking about the same card?

Shoreline Raider
2U
Creature -- Merfolk
Protection from Kavu
2/2

R

Reverend Love

Thanks for all the help guys. I got to run this thing Sunday and it was AWESOME!

It plays like a totally janky combo deck. Sometimes fetching a dreamhalls and Kabooming the heck outta people. Or simply stalling until that point. What's awesome is how everyone just laughed and pointed when they heard I was playing a Kaboom deck (they're all netdeckers) and ignored me. Then after going nuts and casting three Kabooms, and bring everyone under 5 life in an 8 person multiplayer game they suddenly ALL targeted me...goofy yes, but deadly :)

Decree of Pain is awesome when used with Dream Hallls.

Replaced 1 Time Stretch for a Time Spiral.