Juniper Order Ranger *trick*

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Does this work? The wording on the Redcap suggests that it wouldn't, because it says it gets returned to play if it had no -1/-1 counters, and after the first time it was returned, it would have a -1/-1 counter on it. I thought the +1/+1 counter merely canceled out the effect of the -1/-1 counter, not removed it entirely...

As to a cheaper way of doing this, it depends on exactly what "this" is. Infinite damage? How about Enduring Renewal, Ornithopter, and Goblin Bombardment? Seems about comparable except I'm sure it works (which is irrelevant if the other one actually does work) and it only requires two colors of mana.

Killer Joe

Isn't there a rule that says if there's a -1/-1 counter on a permanant and a +1/+1 counter they get removed at the same time? rule 502.xxxxx?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Killer Joe said:
Isn't there a rule that says if there's a -1/-1 counter on a permanant and a +1/+1 counter they get removed at the same time? rule 502.xxxxx?
Yes... look at the FAQ from TS or MT..... wait it's called a primer now..... ugh....

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Ah. I found it. After my time, so I was completely unaware of it...

# 420.5n - If a permanent has both a +1/+1 counter and a -1/-1 counter on it, N +1/+1 and N -1/-1 counters are removed from it, where N is the smaller of the number of +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters on it. [CompRules 2006/10/01]

Edit: Mooseman, what are those things? I just checked Crystalkeep...

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Time Spiral or Morningtide........ That's when I think the rule was created or at least formalized.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Spiderman said:
I don't even get the combo KJ posted... :confused:
Juniper Order Ranger Creature - Human Knight [2/4] Coldsnap (Uncommon)
Whenever another creature comes into play under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on that creature and a +1/+1 counter on Juniper Order Ranger.

Murderous Redcap Creature - Goblin Assassin [2/2] Shadowmoor (Uncommon)
When Murderous Redcap comes into play, it deals damage equal to its power to target creature or player.
Persist (When this creature is put into a graveyard from play, if it had no -1/-1 counters on it, return it to play under its owner's control with a -1/-1 counter on it.)

Greater Gargadon Creature - Beast [9/7] Time Spiral (Rare)
Suspend 10-R
Sacrifice an artifact, creature, or land: Remove a time counter from Greater Gargadon. Play this ability only if Greater Gargadon is suspended.

With the Ranger in play and the Gargadon suspended
Play the Recap (deal damage) and sac it to the Gargadon.....
Recap comes back into play, the -1/-1 couonter is removed by the Ranger's ability and you can sac it again, and again, until the Gargadon comes into play...
Basically 10 times, which is 20 damage and if you haven't won yet, you now have a 9-7 creature in play.......

R

rokapoke

Mooseman said:
Basically 10 times, which is 20 damage and if you haven't won yet, you now have a 9-7 creature in play.......
Actually, you have a 10/8 Gargadon and a 13/15 Ranger.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Ha.... I totally forgot about the ranger getting counters too....... that is too cool...... Look out KJ, I'm using this against you...... :D

Melkor

It works just fine with anything that lets you sacrifice a creature for free. Isn't Pandemonium just overkill?

Killer Joe

Spiderman said:
I don't even get the combo KJ posted... :confused:
my bad :(

Mooseman said:
Ha.... I totally forgot about the ranger getting counters too....... that is too cool...... Look out KJ, I'm using this against you...... :D
Well, the "kryptonite" card is Sudden "some bad" Death to Juniper while that stuff is on the stack but only works at the beginning of the combo being set in motion. :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Melkor: Probably. I just didn't know how long it takes to set up the combo.

KJ: No worries, I'm just not that familiar with the new cards with suspend and whatnot :)