June 7, 2022 B&R Announcement

Oversoul

The Tentacled One

Pioneer
  • Winota, Joiner of Forces is banned.
  • Expressive Iteration is banned.
Explorer
  • Expressive Iteration is banned.
Format names, right? As a reminder, Pioneer is the format that uses cards from Standard sets going back to Return to Ravnica. Explorer is the format acts as the MTG Arena analog to Pioneer, as MTG Arena still lacks the full Pioneer card pool.

Not much of interest in this announcement for me, but I did notice two particular points...

Firstly, I noticed this sentence.

Although we recognize that there are several other powerful card-draw spells in the format, notably Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time, we currently believe that delve spells contribute to blue decks in Pioneer having a unique identity among Eternal formats.
They called Pioneer an Eternal format. Pioneer is not an Eternal format. I don't want to constantly be ragging on WotC, but it seems that they can't even be bothered to keep track of which of their formats fit into their own categories that they made up for themselves. I'm disappointed. I'm not the least bit surprised. But I am disappointed.

Secondly, there's not a single mention of unbanning cards in any formats. Eternal formats have been turned on their heads over the past few years with powerful new releases that made every existing deck essentially obsolete and cultivated entirely new metagames. And there's a case to be made that Modern is even more prominently affected by this than the Eternal formats have been. At this point, it should be painfully obvious that some bans from many years ago just don't make sense anymore. The formats have changed enough that their identities are almost fundamentally different from what they were in, say, 2015. This is nothing new and if I point out the specific length of the unnecessary ban on Earthcraft, I'll sound like a broken record. This time I don't want to do that. This time I want to point out how the explanation talks about "changes" or lack thereof for several paragraph, but never even hints at the possibility of unbannings, either in the near future or distant future. It's as though WotC kept using the term "change" but forgot what kinds of changes there are. It's as though they've forgotten that unbanning cards is a thing that they can do.

Last edited:
Yeah, I thought that comment was strange re: Pioneer as an Eternal format. Very weird. It's literally not by Wizard's own definition.

Even more strange was the comment about the Delve spells ... that's just completely insane to me. The Delve (mostly TC but Dig too) draw spells are just completely insane and will only get better over time as the format will only grow. Sure, banning Expressive Iteration makes sense because it's relatively better than what the rest of the format has access to but its power is more fixed than the Delve spells. Why put your shiny new format in the same position as Legacy with a lot of the sacred cows in that format, Brainstorm and Ponder in particular. Pioneer should just be more like old Modern not another format where dumb cards stay long past their welcome for very dubious reasons.

I think I'm overall happy in the fact that they acknowledged other formats, Legacy in particular, so that's nice. Of course, literally not unbanning anything is strange. At least it made sense in the first few years of Legacy except they unbanned the most cards from 2005 to 2010 where as after that only 3: Tax in 2012, WGD and Vise in 2015. This makes no sense. They must literally be allergic to unbanning cards. Earthcraft? Mind Twist? Ridiculous. Not to mention that Delver isn't exactly any better now than it was with Ragavan to the surprise of basically no one. So no band-aid bans either which I don't think makes anyone happy.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Even more strange was the comment about the Delve spells ... that's just completely insane to me. The Delve (mostly TC but Dig too) draw spells are just completely insane and will only get better over time as the format will only grow. Sure, banning Expressive Iteration makes sense because it's relatively better than what the rest of the format has access to but its power is more fixed than the Delve spells. Why put your shiny new format in the same position as Legacy with a lot of the sacred cows in that format, Brainstorm and Ponder in particular. Pioneer should just be more like old Modern not another format where dumb cards stay long past their welcome for very dubious reasons.
I hadn't followed Pioneer enough lately to want to comment on that, but now I really like your analysis and I think it illuminates a problem that's going to resurface in the format. Expressive Iteration has proven itself to be a strong card beyond my expectations, across multiple formats. But even at its best, it's a bit of a workhorse that can only complement certain archetypes. The delve spells have a track record, and we should all know where it leads by now. Dig was probably (tentatively) safe in Pioneer anyway: it tends to scale a bit weirdly across formats. But Cruise is a problem. Banning Expressive Iteration might patch that temporarily, but how long before WotC releases another set with a card that breaks Treasure Cruise again?

I think I'm overall happy in the fact that they acknowledged other formats, Legacy in particular, so that's nice. Of course, literally not unbanning anything is strange. At least it made sense in the first few years of Legacy except they unbanned the most cards from 2005 to 2010 where as after that only 3: Tax in 2012, WGD and Vise in 2015. This makes no sense. They must literally be allergic to unbanning cards. Earthcraft? Mind Twist? Ridiculous.
Yeah, that's basically the grip I've had for a long time now, so I didn't expect change. What's frustrating is how the evolution of the format in the wake of the Philosophy of F.I.R.E. has so dramatically upended all the old conventions, and yet we still can't get unbannings. In the space of a few years, we've probably gone through metagame shakeups that are arguably more dramatic than most of the rest of the format's history. Legacy is still less than 20 years old, but if the level of change that took place in the first decade were measured and demarcated as the default for 10 years worth of change, we've probably seen 40 or even 50 more years worth of change in the course of this second, as yet unfinished, decade. Banning Earthcraft was silly in 2004, but what about the other cards. Maybe banning Yawgmoth's Bargain at the time was truly a good call to prevent it from taking over the format. Was that still true in 2010? Maybe? 2012? Probably not, but I can understand the trepidation at the time. 2014, a full decade after the creation of the format? I'd argue that it should have been unbanned by then, although I could see why someone might argue otherwise. 2022, though? 2022 is more different from 2014 than 2014 was from 2004. By a lot. Tough to quantify, but I contend there's something to it...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Saprolingtoken's comment about Delver decks in Legacy has me thinking of zeroing in on this one longstanding archetype as an example of what I'm talking about.

WotC used the term "Izzet Delver." The Legacy community has historically used "U/R Delver" primarily. Sometimes the archetype gets labled "U/R Burn" or something else, but the labels all point to the same general concept. Going to the primer on MTGTheSource, the first historical list I see is from April of 2011.

3 Snapcaster Mage
3 Grim Lavamancer
4 Goblin Guide
4 Delver of Secrets
2 Fireblast
2 Daze
3 Force of Will
3 Price of Progress
3 Spell Snare
3 Ponder
4 Chain Lightning
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Brainstorm
1 Wooded Foothills
2 Arid Mesa
2 Mountain
2 Island
3 Misty Rainforest
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Volcanic Island

Sideboard:
2 Sulfuric Vortex
3 Pyrostatic Pillar
3 Surgical Extraction
3 Submerge
3 Pyroblast
1 Force of Will

That's a pretty fair representation of the archetype in its first few years. Khans of Tarkir came out and this changed into a Treasure Cruise deck. Some would have called it the Treasure Cruise deck. The ubiquity of Delver decks powered by Treasure Cruise dominated the format for months, and the ban sort of killed the deck off for a time.

Here's a random list I found from February of 2019.

2 Young Pyromancer
4 Delver of Secrets
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Stormchaser Mage
1 Fireblast
1 Vapor Snag
2 Price of Progress
4 Brainstorm
4 Daze
4 Force of Will
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Preordain
4 Chain Lightning
4 Ponder
1 Arid Mesa
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Steam Vents
2 Flooded Strand
2 Island
2 Mountain
2 Volcanic Island
4 Bloodstained Mire

Sideboard:
3 Spell Pierce
2 Surgical Extraction
3 Vapor Snag
3 Smash to Smithereens
1 Pyroblast
1 Sulfuric Vortex
2 Pithing Needle

Now, I don't want to go on forever about this stuff, but I also don't want to oversimplify it. In truth, there were various experiments and shifts in the evolution of this archetype. For a while, a popular variant was partially based around Bedlam Reveler. Goblin Guide was taken out of lists and put back in. Gitaxian Probe was incorporated into lists, then banned. Dreadhorde Arcanist and Ragavan both showed up and both got banned. Stuff did happen, and some lists diverged from the norm more than others. But overall, these seem to be fair historical snapshots. Early lists almost always used Snapcaster Mage, and that started to drop off sometime between 2016 and 2018. The primary package of blue disruption/draw and red damage spells didn't change much, and the main difference between U/R Delver lists from the years between 2011 and 2019 was a gradual shift toward incorporating new creatures that represented the followup threats to the initial one-drop Delver of Secrets. Blue and red gained access to new "spellslinger" threats, which synergized with the large volumes of cheap instants and sorceries being cast. Young Pyromancer, Monastery Swiftspear, Bedlam Reveler, Stormchaser Mage, Soul-Scar Mage. These threats were in flux, but the deck was essentially the same package, just with that one bit of modularity.

Now, how about a post-Ragavan 2022 list? Here's the first one I could find from the most recent Challenge, a few days ago...

1 Brazen Borrower
1 Delver of Secrets
4 Dragon's Rage Channeler
4 Murktide Regent
1 Force of Negation
1 Stifle
2 Pyroblast
3 Daze
4 Brainstorm
4 Force of Will
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Expressive Iteration
4 Ponder
4 Mishra's Bauble
1 Island
1 Mystic Sanctuary
1 Steam Vents
2 Flooded Strand
2 Misty Rainforest
2 Polluted Delta
2 Scalding Tarn
4 Volcanic Island
4 Wasteland

Sideboard:
1 Force of Negation
2 Pyroblast
1 Court of Cunning
1 End the Festivities
1 Flusterstorm
1 Hydroblast
2 Meltdown
1 Red Elemental Blast
2 Submerge
1 Sulfur Elemental
2 Surgical Extraction

Going down to just one copy of Delver is a bit extreme, and I see that most other lists from the same event didn't dip quite so low on the Delver count. But the role of the namesake card really has changed here. This is very much a deck revolving around Dragon's Rage Channeler and Murktide Regent, two cards that didn't exist until last year. Force of Negation and Expressive Iteration are new spells that also didn't exist before 2019. The emphasis on Murktide Regent has also led to the ubiquitous inclusion of Mishra's Bauble, a card that was never traditionally associated with Delver decks. U/R Delver decks moved away from presenting a few cheap threats and protecting them with burn/countermagic. Now they're all about vomiting two-drop giant dragons onto the board. Murktide Regent essentially does for U/R Delver what Treasure Cruise used to do, but with murder instead of card advantage.

In this format, where you can use cards going all the way back to 1993, players are taking a deck archetype that ostensibly came together in 2011 and winning with it, but more than 20% of their actual cards are ones that didn't exist before the Philosophy of F.I.R.E. The game has a 29-year history, but fully a fifth of the cards actually getting played in this deck are from the past three years. And this isn't some cherrypicked example. If I moved away from U/R Delver to other archetypes, I'd mostly get similar results. New cards are powerful. And they're everywhere.

I used to gripe that I didn't think decks like Czech Pile or Vengevival didn't really warrant getting hit by bans. But that's all old-hat now. Those decks are not even close to being on the same level as what's available now. It's not proof that any one card is a safe unban, but I do think it should strong lead to some sort of approach to revisiting old bans.

I hadn't followed Pioneer enough lately to want to comment on that, but now I really like your analysis and I think it illuminates a problem that's going to resurface in the format. Expressive Iteration has proven itself to be a strong card beyond my expectations, across multiple formats. But even at its best, it's a bit of a workhorse that can only complement certain archetypes. The delve spells have a track record, and we should all know where it leads by now. Dig was probably (tentatively) safe in Pioneer anyway: it tends to scale a bit weirdly across formats. But Cruise is a problem. Banning Expressive Iteration might patch that temporarily, but how long before WotC releases another set with a card that breaks Treasure Cruise again?
Yeah, Expressive Iteration was the same for me too, exceeded my expectations. It's certainly better than I thought. But better than Cruise? I don't think so. And Dig isn't much worse because the first really problematic deck in Pioneer, UB Inverter, was a deck that played multiple Digs. They banned Inverter but Dig remains. Cruise historically better in aggressive decks and is the better card so we are going to see more of that but Dig can be an issue in combo and control decks. Both cards also benefit a lot from WotC's current design focus on spellslinging or spells matter cards as well as "graveyard as a second hand", (self)mill so it's only a matter of time before some other enabler get's printed.

Yeah, that's basically the grip I've had for a long time now, so I didn't expect change. What's frustrating is how the evolution of the format in the wake of the Philosophy of F.I.R.E. has so dramatically upended all the old conventions, and yet we still can't get unbannings. In the space of a few years, we've probably gone through metagame shakeups that are arguably more dramatic than most of the rest of the format's history. Legacy is still less than 20 years old, but if the level of change that took place in the first decade were measured and demarcated as the default for 10 years worth of change, we've probably seen 40 or even 50 more years worth of change in the course of this second, as yet unfinished, decade. Banning Earthcraft was silly in 2004, but what about the other cards. Maybe banning Yawgmoth's Bargain at the time was truly a good call to prevent it from taking over the format. Was that still true in 2010? Maybe? 2012? Probably not, but I can understand the trepidation at the time. 2014, a full decade after the creation of the format? I'd argue that it should have been unbanned by then, although I could see why someone might argue otherwise. 2022, though? 2022 is more different from 2014 than 2014 was from 2004. By a lot. Tough to quantify, but I contend there's something to it...
That's a really interesting point you've brought up about the rate of change in Legacy (well, Magic as a whole too). That's not something I've thought about too much. Not only in the strength of cards being released but also the quantity too. Even relatively recent bans, Deathrite Shaman for example, don't look out of line in comparison to the current format. Certainly that card is an issue in Delver but as a whole I don't believe it to be an outlier overall. This is to say nothing about the cards that have been banned since the format's inception. I count 10 or so cards currently banned that range from niche to arguably the correct power level that could be unbanned.

In this format, where you can use cards going all the way back to 1993, players are taking a deck archetype that ostensibly came together in 2011 and winning with it, but more than 20% of their actual cards are ones that didn't exist before the Philosophy of F.I.R.E. The game has a 29-year history, but fully a fifth of the cards actually getting played in this deck are from the past three years. And this isn't some cherrypicked example. If I moved away from U/R Delver to other archetypes, I'd mostly get similar results. New cards are powerful. And they're everywhere.
Yeah the evolution of Delver is pretty interesting. Going from counterburn or a blue based burn deck to a more blue focused tempo deck as better creatures got printed and didn't need to lean on burn so much.

Murktide Regent essentially does for U/R Delver what Treasure Cruise used to do, but with murder instead of card advantage.
This is correct and also made me laugh out loud. Good thing I wasn't drinking! Very succinct and true! Murktide gives Delver a combo-esque feel to it.

That is a pretty significant number though if we break it down it's not that spooky (though I don't mean to imply that I think FIRE design is good or anything like that). It's mostly creatures that are being powercreeped to the point where they outclass other options. Newly printed noncreature spells are more niche or SB cards with the exception of Force of Negation, Expressive Iteration, Narset and Teferi. For reference I am referring to FIRE cards as War of the Spark to present, 2003- Ravnica Allegiance as "modern" and 1993 - Scourge as "old". Pulling all the stats from Mtggoldfish and obligatory "this isn't the full/accurate dataset yadda yadda" disclaimer. Also if any of this you think is too arbitrary, let me know! :)

11/50 are FIRE spells and only 1 in the top 10.

23/50 are FIRE cards. Almost half with the top 10 being 7/10 FIRE cards.

Obviously creature spells are far easier to powercreep because not only have they been really bad overall until about Invasion-Onslaught where they started making them better with cards like Kavu Titan, FTK, Meddling Mage, Spiritmonger, Shadowmage (Tog was mostly an accident so not including it here), Ravenous Baloth, etc. (random side note, from Mirrodin forward was also when we started getting really powerful fatties too!) That trend continued to about Innistrad where that was an inflection point for, well, everything that got insanely powerful and a bunch of cards got replaced(this would be neat to expand upon at some point but I'm already rambling). Also Mirrodin was one of those inflection points too. Actually it's probably more accurate to say the powercreep for creatures from Invasion era continued to about War of the Spark. Then everything got crazy with "this creature gives you lots of value for nothing". I don't think creatures are anywhere near the power level of spells but they have gotten to the point where I look at them and think "wow this card is nuts" Did Ragavan really need Dash? Did Murktide need to get pumped by other Murktides? Don't even get me started on DRC with Ponder and Brainstorm. I don't think these cards are inherently problematic since they're basically fine in Modern but in Legacy with all the free interaction + 1 mana cantrips really pushes the blue shell over the line. Of course this points to the blue shell being the problem not the creatures.

On the other hand it's basically impossible to powercreep the most powerful spells. How do you print a better Force of Will or Swords to Plowshares? And those are "fair" cards! What about something like Dark Ritual? Hell, they will never print a red Dark Ritual because the card is fundamentally broken much less printing a better one.

Looking over the creatures, the old ones that see any (and I mean any) play (or banned) I think can be categorized into 3 categories:

1. Oops this is inappropriately costed/mistake/broken: Lackey, Recruiter, Hermit Druid, Mom, Goblin Welder, Crystalline Sliver, Hibernation Sliver
2. Synergy/Tribal cards: Quirion Ranger, Wirewood Symbiote, Birchlore Ranger, a bunch of Goblins, Argothian Enchantress, Veteran Explorer and Ornithopter
3. Combo cards: Sylvan Safekeeper(sorta), Nomads en-kor, Cephalid Illusionist, Cavern Harpy, Arctic Merfolk, Academy Rector, Xantid Swarm, Anger, Putrid Imp, Basking Rootwalla, Phyrexian Dreadnought, ESG, and Tinder Wall

Birds of Paradise is the odd bird (hehe) out because it's mostly a one-of in the 4C Blue Zenith decks. Also some of these cards can go in multiple categories. Pulled info from here: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy/full#paper

I used to gripe that I didn't think decks like Czech Pile or Vengevival didn't really warrant getting hit by bans. But that's all old-hat now. Those decks are not even close to being on the same level as what's available now. It's not proof that any one card is a safe unban, but I do think it should strong lead to some sort of approach to revisiting old bans.
RIP black cards. One of the more unexpected effects of the really intense powercreep is how bad black has gotten, more specifically discard. When everything in your opponents hand is good or amazing, discard feels really bad. This compounds all the normal problems discard has when used as disruption when compared to countermagic. Discard is still good in combo decks because you only care about a few things and you're typically going to end the game right now or next turn. But black as a color is still really shallow. It has only gotten a few cards recently and even the creature power creep has mostly passed it up. Archon of Cruelty is a decent reanimation target. Opposition Agent and Dauthi Voidwalker are decent hatebears, Hexmage is just a combo card for Depths decks, Rotting Regisaur is a nice card for Reanimator to SB in to dodge GY hate and Dark Confidant is probably the best universal card... but it was printed in 2005! There isn't any REALLY powerful 1 drop in black which also hurts it a lot too. Oh and Plague Engineer too but that's also just a SB card.

But speaking to your greater point, I agree. Both at the time and also now. Those decks look positively tame. But any of the actual broken blue decks I think would be a huge problem even today. Mystical Tutor powered storm decks would insane, as would Miracles with Top and don't even get me started on Flash which played all of the aforementioned cards! Or even something more tame like TC Delver would be nuts. Again, I think this speaks to a larger problem with the apparently untouchable core of blue cards.

Lastly, I know you know most of this stuff/we probably talked a lot about this before but it's things I've been thinking about recently so I really just wanted to put it down in writing. I hope this wasn't too rambly! :)

EDIT: I should probably mention there are some monoblack decks in Legacy that are making waves recently but we'll have to see if they stick around or if it's a flash in the pan.

Last edited: