Istanbul's Trivia Contest

D

DÛke

Um, sister has a scrabble game. The board has all the letters and how many points they worth. Just what kind of scrabble are we talking about?

N

nodnarb24

If what your talking about is on the side of the board, that is how many of each letter there is.

D

DÛke

...my strong stupidity on this topic. I never have played Scrabble before, so I don't know anything about it. Sorry if I wasted anyone's time.

I

Istanbul

Less than a day before the answer being revealed, only five people have answered.

Might wanna get those attempts in.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
... this is cutting it to the wire and hopefully will get answered before 1, but...

1. If the number of letters in a word are being disregarded, are we still limited to the actual tiles in the game? In other words, if in the game there's 14 E's, can we use 15 or more?

2. Is the score just counting the letters themselves or also on the Triple Word Play (actually, it probably doesn't matter so disregard if you want).

Thanks.

I

Istanbul

You have until Wednesday afternoon at 1 pm CST to answer the following question.

Name as many as you can of the following:
Blue creatures that have trample
White creatures with landwalk
Green creatures with first strike
Red creatures with protection from a color
Black creatures with 'firebreathing'

Note that the creatures in question must always have this ability; Keeper of Kookus doesn't qualify because it doesn't always have protection from red. (Firebreathing is, of course, the obvious exception.) Also note that cards from Invasion, Unglued, and Portal sets are not allowed.

Anyone with more than ten answers gets a point. The person with the most answers gets a second point. (If there's a tie for the most answers, each of those people gets a second point.)

G

Gerode

1. Do you have to pay R for the firebreathing, or could it be RR or B or something else?

2. Do black "pump" creatures, like Frozen Shade, count as firebreathing?

3. I don't think there are are black creatures that do this, but what about limited firebreathing (can only spend RR each turn, etc)?

I

Istanbul

Acceptable creatures with firebreathing must be able to spend one mana of any color to get +1/+0 until end of turn. Frozen Shade doesn't count because it gets +1/+1, not +1/+0. As long as it gets +1/+0 for the expenditure of mana, nothing else matters.

I'm also adding 'it must then be able to attack' to the list of qualifications. For example, Krovikan Elementalist can pump himself...but then he can't attack, so he doesn't count.

Finally, gold creatures will not be acceptable. Sorry, but even if Ranger En-Vec is a green creature with first strike, it's also a WHITE creature with first strike, and those are way too common.

[Edited by Istanbul on September 25th, 2000 at 11:58 PM]

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
about Krovokian Elementalist? I'm reading him as it DOESN'T tap to use the firebreathing ability. It does however, require more than one mana so it wouldn't fit the bill there.

I

Istanbul

It ended up not mattering.

You have until Friday at 1:00 PM CST to answer the following question.

This time, I thought I'd go for something a little different.

Your opponent has:

5x Plains (3 tapped)
-
Paladin En-Vec
Soltari Monk x 2
Soltari Priest
White Knight
Soul Warden
-
Glorious Anthem x 2
Disrupting Scepter
-
0 cards in hand
-
8 life

You have:

4x Island
-
Energy Field
-
3 cards in hand (all Islands)
-
10 life

The situation:

It is the start of your turn.

Your opponent just brought a Disrupting Scepter into play last turn, and he's going to Stick you next turn, forcing you to discard (and destroying the Energy Field that's kept you alive) and attacking for the win.

During your draw phase, you draw a blue enchantment. This causes you to win before your opponent even has a chance to use the Disrupting Scepter.

How does this occur?

(IMPORTANT: Surviving is not enough. You must defeat your opponent before his next main phase.)

Z

Zadok001

First of all, what kind of moron holds onto land in that situation??? :)

Second, I presume the same 'no Gold' rule applies as in the previous question?

I

Istanbul

Not at all! Use a blue multicolored enchantment, if that'll help. Of course, I don't know how you'll CAST it...