Istanbul's Trivia Contest

I

Istanbul

This thread will contain every day's questions. PLEASE do not reply in this thread, unless you have some question about the game.

I repeat, PM me the answer! I'll also accept e-mails, but be sure to tell me who you are on CPA.

Today's question:

I am looking at the five Seals from Nemesis. Four of them have something in common that excludes the fifth.

Which Seal is excluded, and why? (I'm not looking for converted mana costs or color, either.)

I

Istanbul

Tomorrow's question might be a little late; I have two tests, so I may need some time to choose a really good question. I'm definitely going to crank the difficulty on them.

I

Istanbul

Since I'll probably be busy, here's Wednesday's question. You have until Friday afternoon at 1 pm CST to answer it.

BTW, don't worry. I know I'm posting the question early; you still have until Wednesday at 1 pm CST to answer the first one.

Today's Question:

Flight
Burrowing
Regeneration
Fear
Lance

One of these cards does not belong. Which one, and why?

NOTE: Answers involving the color, most recent printing, rarity, or casting costs of these cards are unacceptable. I'm looking for a more subtle link.

I was really lenient on the last question and took a lot of really tenuous differences, but I'm looking for a specific one this time.

Addendum: I'll give Griffith_se and Spiderman credit for this answer because I didn't rule it out beforehand, but I will no longer take the answer 'Regeneration is the only one with an activation cost'. I'm looking for something a little less obvious.

[Edited by Istanbul on September 20th, 2000 at 10:31 AM]

I

Istanbul

Bleh. Rest assured that this is the *last* 'why-is-one-of-these-cards-different-from-the-others' question. There are just too many differences. I assure you, it's going to get a lot more obscure from here on in. Muhahahahaha!!!

I

Istanbul

Must...control...fist...of...death...

Okay! That answer is no longer acceptable, and Mr. Pestilence is at -1 point. Do it again, Mr. P, and you're disqualified.

Read my post.

D

dw51688

Calm down Istanbul, I know how frustrating it must be but no biggy. These things happen. BUT IT IS ANNOYING ISN'T IT. And you do want to kill them. Oh great I just got myself in a bad mood. Darn it.

[me] slams his hand down on the computer table[/me]

I

Istanbul

Please remember to send me the answer in PM. DO NOT post to this thread unless you have a question about the question!

Today's question:

Which single word in the title of a Magic: The Gathering card would be worth the most points in a game of Scrabble?
(Note: Hyphenated words do count as one word.)

You have until Monday afternoon at 1:00 PM CST to PM me the answer.

N

nodnarb24

Question: can you use any word because scrabble only allows you to use english words that are found in an english dictionary.

I

Istanbul

Assume that any word found in a the title of a Magic: The Gathering card is acceptable.

For example, you could guess 'Darba' or 'Beeble' if you wanted to.

[Edited by Istanbul on September 22nd, 2000 at 05:00 PM]

M

Mr_Pestilence

* in lowest voice possible, hands in pockets, eyes staring at floor *

"i'm sorry"

M

Mr_Pestilence

Hey, some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield.

D

DÛke

...have NEVER played scrabble before!
That's not fair! OR IS IT?
Oh well, I don't care, let me miss this question...

D

DÛke

I just noticed something.
What do you mean by "single word in a Magic card's title"?
So, say we have Phyrexian Plaguelord:
Can we use "one" of these words?
Or does it have to be the whole title, which means that ONLY cards with ONE word as title could be used...

I'm kind of confused.
Which one do you mean?
Are the Invasion/Unglued/Portal series included?

I

Istanbul

Sorry, since Invasion isn't out, I can't let it be used.
Mr_P: All is forgiven.
Duke: Yes. You can use 'Phyrexian' or 'Plaguelord'. Any one word from a title, regardless of the title's length. Also, due to a personal prejudice, I don't consider Unglued or Portal to truly be a part of Magic, so they aren't included either.

Also, an important note to anyone who plays Scrabble: The words used here are NOT subject to the seven-letter limit. So you can use words like 'Tabernacle' or 'Alexandria'.

I'll drop a hint to make things a little easier (since all guesses received thus far have been wrong):

If the word you're thinking of submitting is worth less than 20 points, find another word.

[Edited by Istanbul on September 23rd, 2000 at 03:20 AM]

D

DÛke

...that's funny!

PeaceKeeper is 82 points itself, and it's not even the BIGGEST POINTS!

Come ON people...Do some research:).

I

Istanbul

How did you get 'Peacekeeper' for 82 points?

P = 2
E = 1
A = 1
C = 3
E = 1
K = 5
E = 1
E = 1
P = 2
E = 1
R = 1

Peacekeeper = 19 points.