Isochron Scepter

M

Mikeymike

This isn't so much of a strategy thread as is a whine-N-gripe thread.

Simply put, what the hell were they thinking?

Putting aside all of of the crazy brokeness with stuff like Ancestrall Recall and Accumulated Knowledge

Imagine this with Counterspell? In a Red or Black deck?. You get a 2 mana COLORLESS counter every freaking turn.

Or even more scary, it gives B/U decks a way to have access to a Naturalize every turn. That's just not right.

It gets around stuff like Rule of Law I believe as well.

Seriously, this card is going to create some serious problems. Its no wonder that they are already $5+ each on Ebay (for an uncommon mind you).

Attachments

13NoVa

scepter is gunna get restricted in type 1....

think about it....

scepter+

ancestral recall
lightning bolt
Vampiric tutor(yeah... ill fetch what i want, EVERY TURN!!!)
mystical tutor
enlightened tutor
naturalize
dissenchant
orims chant (so what the kicker cant be paid, you still stop them from fricken casting spells)
scent of jasmine could be a lot of fun too

just to name a few

N

Nightstalkers

Whats so wrong about it is the fact its an artifact, so it can be used in any color of deck.

Another thing, x costs are 0 for you n00bis out there, so you cannot throw in a fireball for 1 dmg. The fireball would be reduced down to 0, and you'd practically be wasting your scepter.

*is laughing...*

Hey n00bis, wanna play a game? I'll play using my magic wand deck...

C

Captain Caveman

Please don't forget that the Scepter only imprints "Instants" so
the Recall will not work. Counterspell is pretty mean though as
well as a Chant.

:eek:

M

Mikeymike

Originally posted by Captain Caveman
Please don't forget that the Scepter only imprints "Instants" so
the Recall will not work. Counterspell is pretty mean though as
well as a Chant.

:eek:
Ancestral Recall is an instant so it would work. Time Walk on the other hand is a sorcery (Thank goodness). Be interesting with Seedtime though I suppose.

I'm just thinking about this in a Cunning Wish deck. You can't Imprint the Wish, but you can go get whatever instant silver bullet you need and lock down just about any deck. Peace and Quiet vs. combo, Respite vs. any type of beatdown, etc etc etc etc etc

This is crazy with Memory Lapse as well. Well not as strong as a Chant lock, but almost as annoying.

Too strong, way too strong.

R

Reverend Love

Mikeymike

No card has ever been banned or restricted in my play group. No matter how dirty the combo or stupidly powerful the card we'll keep on playing because:

A: We've all got answers available
B: Multiplayer gang-bangs are not unheard of

However this card just might warrant a banning. Here's a list of four cards I've already heard quitely mumbled when referencing the scepter:

1. Mana Drain
2. Tangle
3. Diabolic Edict
4. Lightning Bolt <---Cursed Scroll ain't got nuthin on you baby

All I can say is Aaaagh Crap

N

Nightstalkers

Me list of funny uses:

Tainted Pact
Fog
Ancestral Recall
Boomerang
Brain Freeze
Eladamri's Call
Eye for an Eye
Heroes' Reunion
Humble
Hurkyl's Recall (for Mirrodin :D )
Incinerate
Jolt (infinite mana + this = biggie brain freeze)
Pale Moon
Respite

T

train

Isn't there an instant that adds turns...

"still without crystalkeep...":mad:

T

train

That's kind of odd for them to think about something like that... way ahead of time...

:rolleyes:

I really thought something would be an instant turn giver for blue...

But seedtime works...

N

Nightstalkers

Makes you wonder whats in Mr. Garfields famous notes he gave to WotC....

Hey, I haven't been able to get a copy either, so bugger off.

R

Rooser

Ja, ja. This is way too strong. In this case, the strongest counterspell to put on it is Memory Lapse, because you eat their draw too. Boomerang, of course, also locks down the board. Orim's chant works too, but you still have to pay the extra W for the kicker each time if you want it, (Small price really).

Now we all understand the REAL reason counterspell wasn't reprinted in 8th...

Something you might not have considered is Vision Charm. EOT, mill them for 4. If they try and destroy the scepter, just activate it to phase it out, (It'll still remember the imprint in this case).

In Type 2, watch out for Raise the Alarm. Two extra soldiers each turn....... (Works great in the new T2 Proteus staff decks).

In the end, all that can be said is: Argle-Bargle and Foo-Furrah.

T

train

Vision Charm... It's tempting to play BLue - but I dare say - it would not be fun for my opponent.

got one of these scepters yesterday...

Bought 4 packs of Mirrodin and came away with over 150 mirrodin cards...

Anyone looking for a Foil Gilded Lotus or Chrome Mox... Sale only not trade... sorry guys...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Bought 4 but came away with 150 cards? Was there some heavy trading going on? If so, that's pretty impressive... :)

T

train

I do have a unique way of trading... I'm also trying to get a good start on my sets here...

It went something like this...

Bought 4 packs - opened 3...
Pulled my rares and uncommons and commons and sorted them - that way i knew what I did and didn't have...

Walked to the back room and made an announcement:

"Anyone here interested in a sealed pack of Mirrodin, I'm trading it for a stack of commons, uncommons, and a crap rare from Mirrodin that you don't want..."

This netted about 70 cards - 1 rare, 9 uncommons, and about 60 commons...

Sorted cards...

Then someone told me they were looking for an uncommon, and wondered if I had any - I did.
He offered me an uncommon I didn't have and that I was interested in - but this was for sets so I needed as much as possible......
I countered with "How about 6 uncommons, that you don't want, and some commons you don't want..."

Deal settled bringing in another 20 cards...

Then I traded a rare for another rare, 3 uncommons, and 5 commons...

People don't want all the cards - just certain ones... So I take advantage of it...

It's a great way to get tons of cards - quick and cheap...

that's how you turn 4 packs into 10 pack's worth...;) Best thing about it - I got about 110 different cards for the set - already...

T

train

Try it... people always have extra cards they don't want/need...