Is Sligh truly possible in the current Type II environment?

T

The Magic Jackal

I think it will be awhile untill we see sligh the way it was in the tempest era. If in fact scroll is reprinted, that solves one of the problems about consistant damage, but there still aren't many good red weenies around (pup, fanatic, patrol, cadet). We really don't have the sligh type of direct damage anymore (bolt, incinerate, fireblast, ect.). What we do have is more efficient burn spells (rage), and cheaper, weaker spells (shock, seal, assult/battery, scorching lava, etc.). Slight defintely isn't the same, and probably never will, it is an always changeing deck type and probably always will be.

D

Duel

the lack of abusive 1cc creature will keep deadguy from dominance, no matter what damage is around, really.

G

Gizmo

I think Deadguy was simply a response to the card pool, which naturally supported a VERY fast deck. They key cards are all long gone - Flunkies, Pups, Lightnings, Fireblast.

But I disagree about the weakness of burn. Bolt has gone, but for the new field Shock is a perfectly adequate replacement. Fireblast is gone, but without a fast deck like Deadguy to go in, it would actually not be particularly heavily played. I would say that red burn has never been stronger, all that is missing is Incinerate (I think Scorching Lava should have simply been a 2pt Incinerate).
12 balanced and efficient 1cc spells (Shock, Seal, Assault)
4 2cc spells
12 awesomely powerful 3cc spells (Rage, Hammer, Lightning)

Red burn is at it`s strongest.

G

Gizmo

Flame Rift is as risky as hell. Would you play it in a field with so much damage flying about? I`d rather use Breath Of Darigaaz.
It`s cost effective, but only so long as your life total doesn`t become relevent. And it`s also unusable on creatures. It`s usually good practice to be using your burn spells on your opponent`s creatures - it`s only a hard/fast rule, but it`s still generally true.

D

Duel

I agree, flame rift doesn't hit creatures, reducing it's versatility to that of the decapitated head of a left-handed elephant.

The thing is, burn was never enough to kill by itself, it ALWAYS needed fast creature backup, without it, burn is just so much shadowboxing and topdecking. So, the question (At least for me) is not "Is burn good?" it's "Does burn have good enough support?"

Z

Zero

I just think that it puts burning your oppenent to death a good possibility...I admit, its VERY risky..