Is Power worth it?

• Thread starter Striking Dragon
  • Start date
S

Striking Dragon

I've noticed quite a few members on theis forum play with at least some of the power 10 in their decks. I was just wondering if anyone thinks they're worth getting or not. I'm kinda in the middle, and I'm looking for advice.

B

BigBlue

I think it really depends on your opponents...

I play casual magic only and no one in my group plays with or owns any Power 9 stuff. Therefore it is easy to avoid it.

But, if I were playing in a group where P9 stuff was always present and I found I couldn't compete with it, then I might look for it.

Power isn't a crutch - you have to build good decks. Given the restricted nature of them, you can't build a deck depending on them coming up. I guess I feel that you should always be able to play without them. Sure a good deck w/o Power often would be improved with it, but that isn't a guarantee.

This probably doesn't help your evaluation, but that is my opinion which is what you asked for. :D

H

Hetemti

It really depends.

The only power I'd advise if you're doing casual is Ancestral Recall, since it fits in everything blue, and never really sucks. Moxen are color specific, and therefore limited; Lotus isn't as good as you might think it is...draw it late game when everythings established and you'd rather something else. Timetwister is conditional, Time Walk is easily just a cantrip, and Library requires you build around a full fist.

N

Nightstalkers

It doesn't really matter that much.

I'd spend the $300 or so dollars you'd use up for a single mox on a buttload of rares or a set on Ebay.... or hit the local shop and buy out the "power" cards they've decided to sell me cheap.

I

Istanbul

If you're playing competetive Type 1, you should invest in a set of Power.

Otherwise, your money is far better spent drafting...

Black Lotus = $500
$500 = appx. 48 drafts
48 drafts x 3 hours apiece = 144 hours of fun

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
There's only two members off-hand I can think that use the Power cards: Tabasco and 13Nova, who play Type 1 and do live near each other.

I've got the Library but don't put it in all my decks.

Pretty much everyone gave good advice except I disagree with Hetemti's opinion about the Library; it's not hard to maintain a full fist of cards, although it does depend on the deck (it would more readily go in a control deck than an aggro deck, for example).

M

Mikeymike

I only play with some pieces of the power 9 (no 10 unfortunately) because I picked them up in the Collector's Edition set - which might be a good idea for you if are strictly playing casual. They run about 20-30% of the full value of the regulars.

And if you playing multi-player the speed demons lose a lot of power.

I've played with the whole 9, and in multi-player I've found that Black Lotus and Time Twister aren't even close to 1v1 level unless you are playing some extreme combo deck. Time Twister definitely can't go into just any blue deck, and as Hetemti points out about Black Lotus, after turn 5 you'd wish it was something else.

The Moxen are nice, but far from necessary.

Ancestral Recall is the best card ever, whatever the format.

Time Walk is always a good card. At worst it's a cheap cantrip/untap all lands. At best its potential is unlimited. I actually enjoy playing Time Walk far more than I do the Recall.

Library of Alexandria I'd love to own. This card has drawn more cards for my buddy than I'd like to admit, and if you don't get a turn 1-3 Strip Mine/Wasteland in response to it, it will own you. Sometimes late game you can't draw with it, but it doesn't really matter b/c its still providing mana. Do not underestimate the power of this card, it is beyond efficient.

----
All this said, I could definitely get by in my group without the power 9, and in a lot of my decks I do not play any of them.

I will say, before you shell out the cash for the P10 I'd take a look at the Type 1 restricted list and pick up your single copies of necessary cards on the cheap.

Ones you must own
Sol Ring
Strip Mine
Regrowth
Demonic Tutor

T

Troll

I have a CE Mox Pearl but I play almost exclusely multi-player magic and don't even use it. I do have a somewhat competitive type 1 duel deck where it sits in a sleeve. I wold love to have the whole set of Moxes and the blue power but could care less about the Lotus. As for Library, I mostly play aggro builds so I would sell/trade it if I had one.

Are there any other auction sites where I might could pick up some CE cards cheap? I got my Pearl off eBay for $10.

H

Hetemti

:: disagree with Hetemti's opinion about the Library
Buy me one, and I'll tell you how useful I find it. :D

T

train

They're only worth having if you play competitive or collect - in my case collect...

Other than that... you can easily deal with them... counter the blue ones, meltdown the rest, and stone rain handles the library...

"If you want to test them and how well you like them - proxy them and see how weel you enjoy playing with them..."...:cool:

M

Mikeymike

Originally posted by Troll
Are there any other auction sites where I might could pick up some CE cards cheap? I got my Pearl off eBay for $10.
Holy crap that's cheap. I think now the cheapest you'll see them on ebay for is around $40-50

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by Mikeymike

Ones you must own
Sol Ring
Strip Mine
Regrowth
Demonic Tutor
I've got an old Regrowth, Strip Mine, and even a Sol Ring... I'm looking for an old Demonic Tutor from before they took out the pentagrams though.

Oh, and I'm about to go off and get my second Sol Ring for $6.... I'm so evil when it comes to my cheapness.

If I were to get a black lotus, or a mox of a different color (currently have 3 diamonds :rolleyes: ) I'd keep them in my sealed folder, not this crappy thing I usually tote around with me.

Dude, Collectors Edition cards are everywhere! Check backwoods card & comics shops and your most likely to find a buttload of the things in 25 cent bins. 40-50 dollars for a pearl on Ebay? Best I've talked someone down to is $150-200

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by Spiderman
True, but it's the cheapest way of finding out whether it's any good :)
Don't anyone say anything bad about proxies.

Sure they're only good for playtesting and joking around with your friends in casual, but they are an essencial part of deckbuilding.

I wouldn't be revamping my shadowy doom deck if I didn't have a good proxy maker already. And I sure wouldn't have all the garbage in my trade folder if it werent for my proxy tinkering.

A

Apollo

No, they're not worth it. They're a lot of fun, but aren't necessary... and if your friends don't have them, they probably would make your playgroup environment worse. I have a Mox Jet that I won in a tournament, and I love it, but I would never consider shelling out the cash for any of the Power 9.

H

Hetemti

Well, I can forgive it for testing at home, but I become enraged with pissedoffness when someone plays a Forest with a sheet of paper on it.

Left = Yes; Right = No.

Attachments

M

Mikeymike

Dude, did you just draw that? That's freaking hilarious!

Regarding proxies, are you guys referring to proxying cards you own or do not own?

I've got to proxy cards I own (like my 1 Sol Ring), I've got 15 decks put together.

N

Nightstalkers

I mean playtesting proxies.

Anyone who brings decks filled with proxies and enter tournaments with them should be taken out and tied to the top of a flagpole.