Is Mainstream Magic possible?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
So you're saying that playing this game won't bring me closer to satan? DANG!!!!!!

*Ransac takes off his black clothes, throws the card away, and steps out of the pentagram he's been sitting in.*

Ransac, cpa trash man

M

Multani

Unfortunately, there will always be ignorant people in this world. The reason that Christianity, and religious zealots still have a voice is because of:

a.) We live in the United States. Rdligion is a biggie.

b.) The west promotes Christianity, and the west is currently the stronger portion of the world.

c.) Most people in America have a poor education.

There you have it. the top 3 reasons why religion still rules supreme. :D

F

FoundationOfRancor

Duel and YellowJacket raise some key points.

If Magic became "mainstream" (In the sense that a majority of the American population played it or hated it) then magic would either die, or wither down to something that we would all be ashamed to play.

Duke and Multani have also hit some of the main points on why Religion is still the "in" thing.

It isnt going to last long, I promise you...

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
When did that happen? I mean, I'd imagine that overall we're not the most educated populace in the world, but do you have any facts to back that statement up Multani?

I agree that the zealots appear to be in control at the moment, but I think the reason for it is that they are what we in America quaintly call a "Special Interest Group", which means their support is sought by every two-bit politician out there.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, as they say, and the Religious Reich (Copyright 1999 by ferret) has always squawked the loudest.

I resent, however, your implication that all Christians feel the way these charlatans do. And I'll also remind you that you're getting close to one of our taboos around here. Prejudice, whether by race, creed, etc. is viewed by our provider the same way profanity is, and it will not be tolerated.

On topic: I honestly doubt Magic will ever become mainstream, and MY reasoning is this: Not many girls are into this stuff. Sure there are some, but the vast majority of half our population couldn't care less about Magic, or D&D, or PC games.

They're not much into the NFL either. :(

Even when they try it, and do well, my experience has been that most of them just don't place the same level of importance on competitive endeavors, whatever the game you're talking about, that guys do, and unless you get the girls into it too it'll never be considered "Mainstream".

Which is fine by me. I like being different. :D

M

MrXarvox

TomB, I believe the U.S. has a standardized education ranking of 20th or 30th among industrialized nations (can somebody get me some numbers?). I'm not sure of the actual facts, but I can tell you that our (below college)education level is certainly not up to par with the rest of the world. The U.S. college situation is just the opposite, we do indeed have the best colleges in the world. But below that, the people of this delusional little nation are rather dim.

C

Cateran Emperor

Ohhhhhh, going to church and doing community service willingly makes me ignorant, that must be what's wrong with me!

Thanks for pointing that out to me Multani, I was apparently too ignorant to realize that I was ignorant! I'll try to stop helping people in the future. :cool:

D

Duel

There are a couple things:

1. Despite the endless attempts to place morality into law, the seperation of church and state IS in effect. If you had tried this game in, say, medieval england, you would have gotten a much warmer welcome. Nto a firnedly one. Just a WARM one.

2. Most people are smart. What you do is not who you are. People who don't realize this are dumb and do not deserve myu respect. Unfortunately, they make up a considerable bloc of the population.

3. Magic is not satanic! There are few references to the devil (actually, professional sports have about the same amount). And nothing heretical about the cards with, perhaps, a couple exceptions. But I doubt even a devout chirsitan fanatic would tell me that Angelic Chorus is satanic. Same with Holy Day. There are two sides to the spectrum. Magic makes A LOT LESS REFERENCES TO SATAN THEN THE BIBLE, OLD OR NEW TESTAMENT! The bible is obviously more satanic, right?

H

Hetemti

The game, currently called "Magic: the Gathering" is merely a strategy game based on the following principals.

1) Scoring 20 points againt your opponent.
2) Cards that you use to earn these points.
3) Cards that make these cards more efficient.
4) Cards that change the rules to aid your strategy.
5) Cards that interfere with your opponent's attempts to score points against your, or that directly neutralize that player's cards that work against you.
6) Cards that dictate what cards you may play.
7) Many basic strategies to success, including, but not limited to: Quick scoring; creating a loophole in the rules, making a couple complementary cards super-efficient; control over opponent resources; denial of opponent resources; deck manipulation; opponent score neutralization; et cetra ad nauseum.

Now, I ask you...Devise a theme that can justify ALL these themes and still be interesting enough to a large enough portion of the marketplace to make this comparitivly complex game sucessful.

"Magic" simply fit the games ostentacious principal and rules set.

D

Duel

The key is that People Need Something To Crusade Against.

Even if they don't really object to it.

Even if they LIKE it.

Some people don't feel fufilled unless they morally object to something someone they know does. And then they teach their kids about it.

A

Almindhra

I read an article someone posted on the CPA, or maybe it was MTGNews, about magic being demonic...The thing that jumped out right at me was this Christian group was saying that people take on the role of being a wizard or mage...Now if you compare that to D&D, yeah, I can see where that is coming from, but no one takes it that far...

Who here has ever considered themself an actual mage?...Have you ever felt you were actually casting spells?...IMHO, Finkel looks like the wizard type...

D

Darsh

Originally posted by Almindhra
Who here has ever considered themself an actual mage?...Have you ever felt you were actually casting spells?...IMHO, Finkel looks like the wizard type...
You don't? I always get dressed up in my old, tatter, Necromancer robes whenever I play...I MUST OBEY THE DARK MASTER'S WILL!!!

(Thats sarcasm folks)

My own grandmother (VERY heavily involved in church) has seen my cards and has no problem at all with them (She even says she likes some of the pictures) (And yes, even Black cards)

D

Duel

Actually, that was the urban legend around D&D. Kids would start sacrificing dogs, because it helped them in the game, according to the myth.

Magic got there by association.

D

Darsh

Originally posted by Duel
Actually, that was the urban legend around D&D. Kids would start sacrificing dogs, because it helped them in the game, according to the myth.
Egads! So thats how Finkle did it! or mabye the kids just got tired of the nextdoor neighbor's dogs barking ALL THE TIME and decided to have a little fun.

Oh and the Dark Master commands everyone to sacrifice cute doggies and kitties to him, he gets lonley being the only Dark Master in these parts.

H

Hetemti

Actually, Pikula is more the (Meddling) Mage.

Darsh has a smart grandma.

C

Chaos Turtle

Well I just read the whole thing...

How could anyone think that darling little Pepsi girl is annoying?

He also has a problem with Magic on ESPN2.

To hell with him.

D

Duel

CT, I have a problem with magic on ESPN 2 too. Same as I would with chess on ESPN 2. It ain't helpin' magic's credibility. Magic is not a spectator sport. Unless you are VERY into the game, it doesn't make for good viewing. And the commentators they had were awful....