Interesting rant article worth reading...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think as time goes on, the rest of world will be more represented. It's that "10 year" requirement that might be holding back some non-US nominees initially.

But there's still Olle Rade :)

J

jorael

When I said that it looks very american to me, I didn't mean the players being mosty American. I meant that the whole idea of having a Hall of Fame seems very American to me.

I'm not sure, but I think HoF's are more done in the U.S. than in other parts of the world. The Netherlands has a rich sports history (in soccer, skating and others) and his/her hero's, but we don't make HoF's.

Killer Joe

Back in the day at the shop if anyone would drop a card on the floor we'd all say, "Hey, don't 'Mike Long' that card!" meaning; don't switch that card for a better card.

Surely there are others who are worthy of this honor. I don't know who the other candidates are but wouldn't Jon Finkle or David Price or Aaron Forsythe be better candidates?

Hell, even John "Friggin" Rizzo would be a better candidate than Mike Long :eek:

I

Istanbul

And therein lies the difference. I know that Finkel is fairly well-known as kind of a jerk, but I fully endorse his inclusion into the Hall of Fame. Why? Because he's not a cheater.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
And that's your opinion, which is fine if you were allowed to vote.

And if the integrity category overwhelmingly represents how you'd choose a candidate over the other four categories, again, that's your perogative.

KJ: Five people will initially be inducted into the Hall of Fame, but there's a list of about 20 or so people that's eligible.

D

DarthFerret

I have a question to pose on this topic. Even though he basically invented the whole darn thing, is Richard Garfield eligible. Or does he get in as "Founder" alone. I know he is not one of the "best" players out there, but I have heard of some of his matches. Pretty interesting.

I

Istanbul

The Father of Magic is kind of in a class all his own. Nobody can really compare to him; he'd be in a Hall composed of one person.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Richard Garfield is not eligible; this is actually the Pro Tour Hall of Fame. To be eligible, you meet three requirements:
  • A player must have at least 100 lifetime Pro Points.
  • A player must have made his or her debut in the Magic Pro Tour or World Championships at least 10 seasons ago.
  • A player must not be currently suspended by the DCI.

I'm pretty sure Richard doesn't qualify for the first two and not even sure if he is in the DCI to be suspended.

But other than that, I agree with Isty :)

O

orgg

The fact that Wizards of the Coast/Hasbro employs Doctor Garfield causes Richard Garfield to not be able to take advantage of getting into the Hall of Fame.

That said, it's a crime that Jamie C. Wakefield isn't elligable.

I only wish I could read his articles... :{ (

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think that's a bit misleading; I think there's several current WOTC employees who might be eligible if they meet the requirements (Aaron Forsythe? Other Pro players they've recruited).

The statement would be true if that barred Garfield from entering the first Pro Tour (since he was indeed still employed by WOTC).

So if Wakefield had 100 Pro Points and met the other two requirements, he'd be eligible (although I didn't think he was employed by WOTC - 'cause that's what I get from your second statement).

O

orgg

Wakefield has ten Pro Points, if I remember correctly.

The entry requirements should be waived for certain individuals such as Doctor Garfield and Wakefield. That was my point.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oooh.

In that case, I disagree with your position - as a Pro Tour Hall of Fame, Wakefield might merit a footnote, but over 10 years, I'm sure he's been eclipsed by other folk more deserving. He brings up good nostalgia, but that's not enough to get in :)

J

jorael

I agree with that. Wakefield is a magic hero, and right so, but he ain't legendary enough if you ask me.

I only heard of the guy when Ben Bleiweiss did an interview with him, long after he stopped playing.

D

DarthFerret

Well, with me out of the loop as much as I am, the only person in this whole thread I have ever heard about is Garfield. Tell ya what kind of black hole I live in?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it is the Pro Tour. Unless you follow Magic competitively, even if you'd played casual, you may not have heard of some of these guys.

I know I haven't :)

N

Notepad

You know, it really shouldn't be a Pro Tour Hall, but a Magic Hall. Of course Garfield and Wakefield would be on there. Why is it the game only recognizes the pro players that basically represent one edge of the game, and on a lot of respects, the most dirty and cutthroat aspect of this game.

Hell, I wish Frank Kusumoto could be up on there, and maybe even Omeed Dariani and The Ferrett, for their great contributions to internet Magic (but nobody so great a contribution as Frank!). But alas, its limited to the rich boys who've got the money and time to dedicate to professional Magic.

Ayee, geepers and good gollie!

H

HOUTS

"Hall of Fame"

What a joke.

Er, I mean what a promotion, a stunt, a commotion.

Who cares. Seriously, I am a big MTG historian but this produces no tickle of excitement in my bones.

They found another way to self-promote their own game to make itself look bigger. I've seen animals do the same thing to protect their own skin. Coincedence?

And then I have to hear bitching about Mike Long....omg...

Ladies and kids, it's a card game. What moral impact are you trying to put upon this game as such standards?

Please go read your rule books. Please link all his SUSPENSIONS where he got caught cheating?

Please,....I'll wait.

Why isn't there bitching about Bob Mahear Jr. and his antics? Surely, he is considered a worthy vote in the near future. Why aren't his ways not looked down upon?

But Mike Long was the first to MANIPULATE (or however you want to say it) others in this game. Can you count how many articles I've seen about MANIPULATION? How to "JEDI TRICK" your opponent, etc.

Now that I really think about it....I could care less.

He wasn't caught. Deal with it. Get over it. Take your ethics and ride your high horse into the sun...

Now I realize why I hate these forums....liberalism. Ugh, I feel bad for YOU. lol

HOUTS