In the future, I want MTG to...

T

theorgg

[me]hands Zadoc the two that died on the way over[/me]
Make sure to pull the tails off and pop the red things out of the cheeks first. otherwise the taste is...

well, it brings a big ball of tinfoil being chewed on with braces and headgear on to mind.

D

DÛke

Anyone could call me whatever they want, but I perfer either Psycho, DUke, or Marrow, whichever you want. I don't care.

D

DÛke

/----------------------------) :)<--That's you!
|===================__/
|/^^^^/#==|----------/
|/^^^^/|==`
|/^^^^/|
|/^^^/|
`-----`

D

Duel

Duke, I think there is a problem with your analogy: in chess, everyone starts with the same pieces.

BTW, WTF?!?

I

Istanbul

In the future, I want the Pro Tour to disintegrate. I want large-scale competetive Magic tournaments to go the way of the dodo.

For way too many people, Magic is about winning, and that's ALL. If your opponent is having fun, you're doing something wrong. I think that's the opposite of the way Richard Garfield envisioned it, and I'd like to see it returned to something that friends do when gathered together.

D

Duel

I dunno, I think magic should be ABOUT playing, not winning. But the tournaments aren't bad. To use duke's analogy, it hasn't hurt chess. I just don't think they should ever become the purpose of magic.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Istanbul: I was with you all up until 'If your opponent is having fun..." part. Why shouldn't your opponent AND you have fun? If both of you are having fun, then that's what counts.

Duel: You said yourself comparing chess with Magic is a bad analogy! As numerous people have pointed out on this raging debate once held on the Dojo, in chess you also don't have different rarities, banned pieces, etc. I think it's the constant (and low) cost of chess that keeps tournaments in check (although I don't know about their prize levels). Also the fact that they have STRICT rules about unsportsmanlike behavior...

I

Istanbul

Spiderman...that's my POINT. Many people these days seem to have the mindset that if your opponent is having fun, or if the game lasts more than 4 turns, you're doing something wrong. I'm AGAINST that.

M

Multani

Isty: Your argument goes both ways. True, we may rant about how bad the tournies are, but the truth is, Magic needs tourneys. You may think 4th turn wins are evil, and they are, but they bring out progress and change in playing styles. If you see an evil tourney deck, your gonna wanna beat it. But, you don't have the resources. Thus progress is achieved. You use new decks with different styles.
Tourneys also organize Magic in a very official way.

Well, I'm done ranting. :D
(Ducks behind objects to prevent being flamed.)

Note: I don't support tourneys. I'm simply providing counterpoints to Isty's arguments.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, Istanbul, I misunderstood that paragraph then. I re-read it and get it now. <shakes my own head>