In the future, I want MTG to...

Killer Joe

...still be around. There's not a single person, who plays MTG, that hasn't at least thought once, "I wonder how long this will last?". This toipic has been the center of many heated arguments and beloved testimonials. Hmph, some have even quit in anticipation of this games demise, remember when a hugh amount of players warned of the massive exodus of people playing game if they changed to 6th edition rules? Remember the panic caused from Wiz Co. identifying Rares (gold) Uncommons (silver) and Commons (black) expansion symbols? I read where some folks predicted the end of MTG because of that, in retrospect, that sounds pretty funny (or does it?).
I do not know why this game is still around, quite frankly, I don't want to even speculate why it's still around, I'm just glad it is. However, I'm sure there IS an explenation, in fact, I'm sure YOU have an opinion about MTG's staying power. For me? Magic: The Gathhering is in my heart, I mean that even though in reality it's 'just a game', I truly believe there's something magical about it. I'm 38 now (not such an untraditional age as I'm beginning to find out, just a lot of closet older aged MTG players out there), and I want to keep playing this game for as long as there's another human to play with.
I started a thread a couple of months ago called, "Are you in for the long haul or not" (I think that's what it was called) and there were many post's on it but if you notice, some of those folks aren't around anymore, maybe they just qquit the CPA or maybe they really weren't in for the long haul.
Count me in and start shuffling, how about you?

H

Hawaiian mage

Really? People were saying colored expansion symbols would ruin the game? *snicker*

Well that makes me wonder more about the proposed new card format. I personally liked it, but I saw alot of people saying they would quit if that happened. I guess people are afraid of change, weather it be good or bad.

Well I'm staying.There's always going to be fresh blood to replace sore losers. And one day my collection of Urza's Saga, the most broken set ever, will be worth hundreds. Actually it already is. But more hundreds! Muaa ha ha ha!

M

Mikeymike

I can't imagine myself becoming tired of Magic, there are just too many aspects of the game and the hobby that I am fond of. However, in my particular area (Stamford, CT) I do feel like an endangered speices.

Up until one month ago there was 1 card store to buy Magic cards in w/in a 15 mile range (We are talking about a population of 200,000), one would think all the Magic players in the immediate area would gather here. They don't. Actually, maybe they do and I know all 4 of them already.

Thankfully, Wizards just opened a store in our mall in June, that should change things. We want new players for our group. Maybe if we show up like a 50's gang, leather jackets, greased hair, going by the name "The Mercs", we can garner some interest. Of course, any attention we are paid would be due to our "laughing at you not with you" attire.

WHAT
Colored expansion symbols almost ruined the game?! (starting playing around Legacy) HOW could that be considered a bad thing. I still argue with my friend over wether or not Whispers of the Muse is a rare or uncommon (I know its an uncommon). He takes no stock in what Inquest says b/c he feels its run by a bunch of monkeys. I say "get off your pedistal".

I

Istanbul

Ohhh yeah. Colored expansion symbols will RUIN things...

...for anyone that was used to ripping people off by lying to newbies about rarities, anyway. I've been playing since Unlimited, and I thought that the colored expansion symbol idea was long overdue.

I think that Magic had survived as long as it has because of all the different things you can do with it. Multiplayer, casual, tournaments, collect, trade, sell...block constructed, Type 2, Type 1, highlander, etc...IDIC. Magic never gets old because there's always some new and interesting idea you can come up with, and the steady flow of new sets makes for a constant source of new ideas.

I'm not quitting until I have to.

C

Chaos Turtle

"I'm not quitting until I have to."

Same here.
I've been listening to the "Magic is dying!" cries since I started playing the game (Ice Age/4th). There is a small but dedicated play group here, and while interest waxes and wanes over time, the core is still here. I believe that these kinds of people will keep Magic alive for as long as Wizards keeps making the cards, and we can see new faces at the shop every now and again.

S

SwingMage

I will never quit Magic. There have been moments where I have barely played it, to moments where I have played it every day for many hours.

What I like about magic, as some ppl have said, are its many aspects. You can always find new things to do with your cards (different formats, decks, etc.)

However, the only problem for me is the number of opponents. There aren't many players here in CT. :(

T

terzarima

I think we have all heard the doombringers preaching about the death og M:tg, but so far they've been wrong, but sometime you will have to admit that Magic is going to die. Hey, I didn't mean now and I hope its far from now, but magic is on a downward spiral

Many of my Magic playing friends say why magic is losing popularity is because they are pumping out too many sets at a time, I mean Magic could live longer if they just slowed down a little

F

Fire Slinger

I plan on playing Magic for as long as I live. There will be times that I won't play very much, like during college, but I always imagined me as some old guy playing magic with other people, like todays elderly go and play chess or shuffleboard together.

F

FoundationOfRancor

I have barely ever had anyone to play with, after the dude that taught me magic moved, I had to teach our magic community! Now there all gone besides garfobo:(
Anyway, with that as a burden and me still loving magic and buying cards-i think i wont leave it. I guess im in for the long haul.

M

magicman_moe

well i should get a pat on the head(heheh not really) i converted one of the big pokemon players in my town to magic so im quite happy for myself hehe but anyways im not quittij for anything man i finally found a game i actually like so im in definitly
it was a good idea to ues the color coding it makes it hard to tell whats good and whats not really i remember tradin a divine intervension for an unlimited icy manipulator but it was ok seein as neither one of us saw its biig rarity so well with that note im done

I

I8Piggo

What did the new card format look like, anyway? Anywhere on the internet where I might get a sample?

C

Crazy Pierre

The first thing is, Wizards needs to go wild and inject some originality and zaniness into their sets, kinda like Thieve's Auction, but more playable....

I look at Masques Block, and it's a bunch of search creatures and a few combo cards, dull.....

Also, I think WOTC should release, for a limited time, Arabian Nights, Antiquities, Legends for sale, or at least make another chronicles....

I guess that's it, just be original, break the limits of the game.....

F

Fire Slinger

There was an Inquest that had pictures of the new card format.I don't know which one. I also heard that people could vote for or against the new style and it was voted down.

H

Hellion

I hope Magic can last as long as Chess. It's already a game that's being played all over the world. Already, it's a kind of sport. Perhaps, Magic will one day be as international and recongised as soccer, baseball or track and field.

This is only possible if WotC KNOWS what his costumers want and what is best for the game. I guess by now, they should know that there are more casual players than tourney players in Magic and should shift their marketing stratgy towards the casual players.

Magic has certainly improved over the years, once a while, sensible rule modifications and card reviews are certainly welcomed. I just hope that there won't be another mistake like Time Spiral or Memory Jar......

Bringing back out of print cards for collectors and players who missed a certain "time frame" of Magic is a nice way of rewarding the support of it's costumers. Of course, I prefer the cards in original form instead of sliver bordered ect.

Magic will be 10 years old in a few years time. It won't be a bad idea if they released a limited anniversary edition of the best cards ever printed in original form.

Of course, this edition should also be affordable and assessable to the casual player....;)

J

Jaws10387

I hope that they bring back some of the old mechanics like Flanking, Buyback, Shadow, ect.
But as far as I can see I'm going to keep playing as long as I can find someone to play. :p

D

DÛke

All that was said in here is true, except one thing, and that is that Magic will die 'some day'. Are you sure?

If you consider that WotC stop making new Magic cards a death, than you are wrong. Magic is not going to die because of that. Magic is only going to die when the people who plays it die(stop playing), and that will never happen.

As long as there are Magic players, there is going to be Magic. WotC has nothing to do with it except keeping players satisfyed, the players control the game, and they have the power to kill it.

As long as you and I, my friends, keep playing, Magic will be alive, even if it 'dies' from making new cards.

Magic will live forever, and that's that.

D

Duel

Okay, magic will last as long as it keeps moving. It has to change, to become different, to keep changing it's targets. If it specialized too much, once we died, who'd buy the cards? As long as they never change the back of the cards. I'd hate to have all my cards declared illegal because they were marked....

And I won't quit. Even if I sell my cards, a prospect which has only occured to me one or twice, I'd still keep my decks around, to play them.

D

DÛke

Personally, I don't think Magic is a 'game' anymore.
It has already, and successfuly, passed the stage of 'gaming'. I think it would be much better to classify it as a 'pastime sport/hobby'.

Magic has grown so much and into so many people, that I don't think 'game' would be apropriate. When something is that popular among people, it shoud be called a sport.
Magic is a sport; a mind sport, just like Chess and the rest.

Chess never dies because there's no new 'pieces' to play :)
Magic never dies because there's no new 'cards' to play :)
PokeMon is dying although they're getting a new set daily :)

T

theorgg

D(insert difficult to exicute Alt+numberpad combo here)ke, you've got some good points.

[me] pops open a box full of unwanted pickachus and eats a few[/me]

Anybody else want any?

Z

Zadok001

I'll take a few.

OFF TOPIC ALERT!

Hey, Duke, is it Ok to call you 'Duke?' Or should I try and figure out what the heck that Alt-#### is? :) Or DUke?

END OFF TOPIC ALERT!

As far as I'm concerned, I will never quit Magic. I did once. It wasn't worth it. No other game has given me the hours of fun I've had playing Magic, no other game has challenged me as well. I've played Go, and I loved it. But it's not the same. There's never infinite variety in a game where all the places on the board are the same. Magic is unique in that respect, no other game can ever match it.

It's worth playing.

It's worth winning.

And, for God's sake, it's worth losing!

"But winning is more fun! :) J/K"