Impeach NOW!

T

train

I guess super-power is relative to the technology of the time... Germany was a super-power with the technology they'd developed, and our military might made us one...

Our military might was considered in the upper echelon... and if you listed the super-powers at that time it would be us...

After the war, we became a dominant force... From what I gather(remember) - it was considered the same from WWI...

T

train

It did decrease iin enlisted population... due to enlistment terms ending, and there wasn't a need for as many "extra" soldiers, but in fleets(air, sea, and land) and bases the increase remained... so the size did grow, and stayed above the prior level...

there was an influx of 9,000,000 emlistments during WWII - but mainly because of the pride/fight most Americans felt in avenging Pearl... and the industry created thereafter...

of course - once the war was over... not all soldiers were needed again, and the size decreased, but the fleet... etc...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think the size stayed around the same or only dropped slightly due to the Europe face-off with communist Russia and the Korean flare-up a couple of years later.

T

train

The military dwindled to around the 3 million mark, which is a lot less...

I believe that it was only a few years ago(90's) that there were only 1.4 million enlisted, and currently, I think it's around 2.1 million or so... mainly an increase due to 9/11...

T

train

I saw those (1.4 and 2.1) numbers in a recent article - it discussed our "volunteer" military's growth since the Gulf War, and especially the 9/11 attack...

I'll see if I can conjure it up...

The 3 million also came from a military article, but it overlapped the people that had just enlisted at near the end of the war, with those that finished service when the war concluded... so it might be a little smaller...

I'll try digging it up also...

:cool: