I think I know WotC's plan..

V

Volradon

Hey, if they ever made the scratch and sniff cards i would sell them faster then my foils. I mean, think about it. U snif it by scratching the card, which could drop the value ALOT, especially if it doesnt smell any more. So why would u ever smell them? Am I making sence cause i dont know what im talking about.

Z

Zhaneel

if you *gasp* don't care about the cards, or are only an amateur player who doesn't do tournaments, you might. Or if you're a young kid

E

ErinPuff

ehem.. excuse me.. not all non-tournament players are amateur.. *cough*me*cough* I've been playing for five years or so..

Not to be mean, but.. that's not the kind of thing you say on the *Casual* Players Alliance. :)

S

Sleepy

umm...amateur doesn't mean bad. amateur just means you don't play for pay.

M

Major Crime

So cards which would not work as Scratch & Sniff,
Sewer Rats,
Any Zombie.
Any Plague related card.

B

Baskil

All you'd have to do it tape a card to an average con or ptq atendee's armpit, surround them by 125 people in a cramped space. Then tell them that they have to play to try to win $250. You might not want to do this however, because the smell of the card will leak out of the pack, leading people to sniff packs before they buy.

I

Istanbul

Marsh Gas
Stench of Decay
Mind Rot
Warthog
Sulfurous Springs
Explosive Growth
Ball Lightning ("I like to scratch Balls." "Get away.")
Ancient Hydra
Plague Witch
Keldon Necropolis
Cadaverous Bloom
Spore Cloud ("Hey, smells...good...getting...sleepy...")
Fungal Bloom
Ertai, Wizard Adept (wicked B.O.)

N

NeuroDeus

I sent a card to the lab and they said it contained a control drug going by the name "Magicus Gatheringus Addictus"... The next thing the lab guys where doing was playing magic...

D

DÛke

Argothia Enchantress
Selenia, Dark Angel
Worrior Angel
ALL the Angels, ALL the enchnatresses, oh, and Sissy and Hanna, yep, and Rayne, ohhhhh, nice...And, um, who else? Selenia, again:), and, Radiant, and, um, all those nice ones...I wanna smell all of them...

D

Duster

I swear to you that it was that new card smell that made me not sell my cards and start collecting/playing again.

How crazy is that?

Yeah, I'm D

F

FoundationOfRancor

Istanbul; What are you talking about? Plauge witch is really hot!!!

Z

Zhaneel

Okay, let me explain- first of all, i didn't say all non-tournament players are amatuer. When I said that, I meant... people who play but don't care about the cards. Perhaps that was not the right word to use.

Killer Joe

Anyone who doesn't play M:TG as a profession, is an amature. It's okay to say that because it doesn't imply anyone's playing skills, it just implies that your income doesn't include money won from M:TG tourneys, that's all.

G

Gerode

From American heritage Dictionary:

amateur
1. Abbr. a., A. A person who engages in an art, a science, a study, or an athletic activity as a pastime rather than as a profession.
2. Abbr. a., A. Sports. An athlete who has never participated in competition for money.
3. One lacking the skill of a professional, as in an art.

D

DÛke

Did you get that out of a dictionary?
Because I strongly disagree with definition #3.
"Lacking"? Yeah right!

D

dw51688

am·a·teur (m-tûr, -tr, --chr, -chr, -tyr)
n.

Abbr. a., A. A person who engages in an art, a science, a study, or an athletic activity as a pastime rather than as a profession.
Abbr. a., A. Sports An athlete who has never participated in competition for money.
One lacking the skill of a professional, as in an art.
adj.
Abbr. a., A. Of, relating to, or performed by an amateur.
Abbr. a., A. Made up of amateurs.
Not professional; unskillful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[French from Latin amtor, lover, from amre, to love.]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ama·teur·ism n.
Synonyms: amateur, dabbler, dilettante, tyro.
The central meaning shared by these nouns is “one engaging in a pursuit but lacking professional skill”: a musician who is a gifted amateur, not a professional; a dabbler in the graphic arts; a sculptor but a mere dilettante; a tyro in the art of writing poetry.
Antonyms: professional

Word History: When Mrs. T.W. Atkinson remarked in her 1863 Recollections of the Tartar Steppes and their Inhabitants, “I am no amateur of these melons,” she used amateur in a sense unfamiliar to us. That sense, “a lover, an admirer,” is, however, clearly descended from the senses of the word's ultimate Latin source, amtor, “lover, devoted friend, devotee, enthusiastic pursuer of an objective,” and from its immediate Latin-derived French source, amateur, with a similar range of meanings. First recorded in English in 1784 with the sense in which Mrs. Atkinson used it, amateur is found in 1786 with a meaning more familiar to us, “a person who engages in an art, for example, as a pastime rather than as a profession,” a sense that had already developed in French. Given the limitations of doing something as an amateur, it is not surprising that the word is soon after recorded in the disparaging sense we still use to refer to someone who lacks professional skill or ease in performance.

amateur \Am`a*teur"\, n. [F., fr. L. amator lover, fr. amare to love.] A person attached to a particular pursuit, study, or science as to music or painting; esp. one who cultivates any study or art, from taste or attachment, without pursuing it professionally.

amateur adj 1: engaged in as a pastime; "an amateur painter"; "gained valuable experience in amateur theatricals"; "recreational golfers"; "reading matter that is both recreational and mentally stimulating"; "unpaid extras in the documentary" [syn: recreational, unpaid] 2: lacking professional skill or expertise; "a very amateurish job"; "inexpert but conscientious efforts"; "an unskilled painting" [syn: amateurish, inexpert, unskilled] n 1: someone who pursues a study or sport as a pastime 2: does not play for pay [ant: professional]

G

Gerode

Yes, that was from a dictionary. All I did to it was edit out the strange pronounciation characters. dw's seems a lot more thourough, though.

Back to the subject, I'm wouldn't expect them to make a scratch-and-sniff "Crackdown" anytime soon.