How does the restrictions affect the casual players??

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I don't think casual players or any other group of players should make a habit of not knowing the restricted list for Vintage. I try to keep up with the Extended banned list myself, even though I doubt I will be playing that format in the future. It is easy to keep up with the lists for all the major formats (most of the time) and you never know when it could be useful.

Of course, the Vintage restricted list is not (and should not be) pointed at casual players. Cards are added or removed from that list based on tournament performance or projected tournament performance.

I think the Legacy banned list is better for casual decks because of this. Sure, I can't use that one copy of Channel or Windfall for some extra power, but in exchange many cards that would not normally be broken in casual play (Burning Wish) are allowed in this format...

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
And I have a couple of decks that use Frantic Search, but not as part of a combo or anything. Hell, I didn't even know it had been restricted/banned.

I'm so out of touch...:eek:

D

DarthFerret

Out of touch? I know the feeling. Since I stoped buying cards (after the face lift [see appropriate thread]), I am extreemly unfamiliar with any new cards, and the new restricted/banned. I looked the other day on the Magic website, and found that I had no idea what most of the cards were. I guess I need to get back into the game more, but first, find a job...lol!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Oversoul
Of course, the Vintage restricted list is not (and should not be) pointed at casual players. Cards are added or removed from that list based on tournament performance or projected tournament performance.
I don't think anyone's saying that this is not the case, but usually the cards on the list are on there for a reason, i.e. part of an engine, broken in itself, etc. that multiple copies can ruin even a casual game. But of course that's why you have house rules where you might pick and choose that certain cards be allowed (or even cards not on the lists be disallowed).

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I think that is a large part of the reason that highlander formats are played. You can use any of your cards (well, except like ante cards and stuff) and not have to worry about the brokenness that would normally result from this.

D

DarthFerret

There can be only one!!!!

Therefore.....

Listen up folks, I have something to say,
Its better to burn out, than to fade away!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Oh. I knew there was like a book and I think television series. I didn't know there was also a movie...

The "in the end there can only be one" thing was what gave Highlander format its name...

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
And the "better to burn out than to fade away" thing is from a Neil Young song...And it being better is only an opinion OS...;)

D

DarthFerret

There were three movies, but the first one was the only good one. And as for the comprehensive tests, I might volunteer if I can know which end of the statement I would be testing?

Ferret

Staff member
The first movie said it all: "There Can Be Only One". The other movies were crap and the series was marginal at best (although, the unrated French versions were a little better because they got around most of the annoying things that you can't show in the 'States).

-Ferret

"Nuns: No sense of humour"

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by Spuky
hello everyone, it´s been some time since i posted something here, but that´s not the case.

The other day a friend and i were discussing about the restricted list, and thinking about what should be restricted or un restricted(i play casual and underpowered Type 1, and casual extended sometimes), and im want to know if you care about the restricted list, i mean, you play using 4 tolarians, or you play following the restricted list??, because I think that some players just ignore the restricted list just because they call themselves "casual players", but, i think that some of the reasons to be of the restricted list is to make Magic a fun game, and not just watch someone kill you befoire you get oportunity to draw a card.

what kind of players are you?: do you play following the restricted lis or not??

P.S: i think that they should unrestrict frantic search, i dont think that taht card deserves to be restricted

Getting back on topic here...

Back when I had a regular group, we tried to follow the restricted list - of course, this was durring the period between Ice Age and Exodus. We also had a few house rules against using direct damage against players (unless it was vitally necessary) and no one was allowed to play a counter deck for more than one game a night - or else, they would get ganged up in every other game that followed :D

Casual Players follow the rules that they see fit and if anyone ever comes to one of my group w/ a list of the latest Oracle Rulings, I will be the first to pick up his happy oink and throw him out the door...

-Ferret

"Keep it fun or I'll kill you!"

C

Chaos Turtle

Where does one find a list of Oracle rulings? My Oracle only has current card wordings...

:p

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I'm not really sure, CrystalKeep used to have it, but for some reason that site does't update anymore, so it will slowly become outdated...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
D'Angelo pretty much says why on his website: he wants time to do other things.

The rulings were pretty handy to have though; maybe it's buried on WOTC's site somewhere. Or it could be a good Ask Wizards question :)

Ferret

Staff member
I found it in one of the more obvious places: Magic Online. If you have card help on, it will show the full text of the card in a little yellow box altered to the latest ruling - of course, you can also look up any card on the Wizards site and it will show the original wording along w/ the latest changes...

-Ferret

"I really miss Mox Perl"