How do you feel about the banning of aluren?

O

We all know its going to happen.
Banned in extended, restricted in type one.
all it takes is aluren, cavern harpy, and brain freeze.
the combo can go off by third turn...
theres many different ways.

I prediction is that it will be broken and banned within a month.

R

Reverend Love

Probably not:

Duress
Cabal Therapy
Blackmail
Mind rot
Forcespike
Counterspell

...need I go on?

M

mythosx

aluren is bs cuz you can do almost any number of infinite combos with it...and you can always stop anythign with a counter spell...i think a more creative stop to that combo would be the use of the opression or warped devotion enchantment.

E

EricBess

I've even seen it stopped with a simple Engineered Plague (beasts).

R

Reverend Love

The only combo worth building now days at a tournament is the one requiring two loafs of bread, various cold meats and cheese.

T

train

That's a hard combo to beat there Love...

I actually think Death Pits, and Sharpshooters is worth building.:cool:

M

Mikeymike

I doubt it will be restricted in Type 1 - but I'm not familiar with what's being played right now. 1 month ago no one was playing Aluren.

In extended it could become a problem, but it is pretty easy to disrupt the combo. I don't think they should touch it unless it starts to reach a Trix-like population, which I don't see happening.

T

train

The potential for Aluren to be broken is there... It just hasn't been played much...

Shall the CPA come up with a deck to do so?...

Blue/Green, aluren, City of Solitude, Shrieking Drake, Mind's Desire anyone...

M

Mikeymike

Originally posted by Spiderman
That's kinda funny...

"The Casual Players Alliance coming up with a broken deck..."

:p
I'll do it! I'll post a deck (or few) tonight.

S

Skyrider

Uh, I already put together the aluren, cavern harpy, brainfreeze deck a few weeks ago. It's in the casual deck's forum under Planestorm, and I even added in wirewood savage to give you the ability to draw your entire deck in one turn (in case you don't have the brain freeze in hand).

I was working on ways to speed it up, but I haven't posted the update yet.

Ironic that this subject just came up cause I just played a friend and beat him with that combo today. (I warned him of it ahead of time so he wouldn't take the game seriously)

R

Rooser

I really hate to burst your bubble, but the cavern harpy/aluren thing was really popular on the PRO TOUR for a while, (Right after Onslaught came out), and then it died out because people sideboarded against it. Its professional-level hey-dey has already come and gone, and Aluren didn't get banned. You guys are about 8 months behind schedule on figuring this combo out.

S

Skyrider

aluren/harpy has been around for a while and is still in extended in some form

M

Mikeymike

Originally posted by Rooser
I really hate to burst your bubble, but the cavern harpy/aluren thing was really popular on the PRO TOUR for a while, (Right after Onslaught came out), and then it died out because people sideboarded against it. Its professional-level hey-dey has already come and gone, and Aluren didn't get banned. You guys are about 8 months behind schedule on figuring this combo out.
It was on the Pro Tour for awhile, in a much more complicated combo, creating infinite mana with Aluren/Harpy and I believe 2 other cards. Brain Freeze is a much easier spark for the engine, allowing it to kill with 1 fewer card and a more manageable mana situation.

Aluren should be looked at right now because of its' ability to create infinite Storm spells. However, currently the deck isn't explosive enough (consistently) right now for it (IMO) to warrant banning.

I suppose they can also errata Aluren, but I don't know if that is the thing to do.

S

Skyrider

I doubt they'll errata aluren after all this time. I find it more likely that you'll find brain freeze restricted first, and even that's unlikely. I think you're right, the combo is deadly, but it doesn't go off quickly enough with enough consistancy. I'm still trying to find a way to do it (personal mental challenge) but with so many cards needed for the combo, I think it's unlikely.

E

EricBess

Well, having judges the Pro Tour in question, how is Brain Freeze a "simpler" combo than Wirewood Savage? It seems to me that both combos require Aluren and Cavern Harpy and 1 other card. The "more complex" combo that you are talking about was a lot of supporting cards that made it easier to get key pieces, or that made it so you could work the combo without specific pieces.

And before you argue that "Savage is a creature", keep in mind that if I use Aluren to put my Savage into play, I can now, for all practical purposes, draw my entire deck as an instant. They do have one chance to respond when I first cast Harpy, so for that, Brain Freeze might be a tad more stable, but the original deck had plenty of backup, so I don't think it's significant.

T

train

I wasn't planning on Aluren Harpy - Harpy's blue...

blue stinks...