Here we go again...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
DarthFerret said:
Saying Counterspells are unbalanced, is like saying that Terror was unbalanced.
Not quite. While I agree that countermagic is an integral part of the game, it is not the same type of card as Terror. For one thing, Terror only affects creatures. Counterspell can target virtually any spell as it is being played. There are a lot of creatureless decks. Spell-less decks? Not so much...

Also, Terror can't target black or artifact creatures. Counterspell is not limited by such things. I tend to look at Terror as antiquated creature removal for black decks. But Counterspell is still quite useful.

Look at the speed and power of some of the better older cards, and how they are not as "playable" with the way the game has evolved. Then, ask yourself if there really is a lack of balance between the colors?
There is totally a lack of balance between the colors. In one of the threads somewhere on these boards there's a link to Rosewater's article, which does a good job giving evidence for that. All colors have their advantages and disadvantages. And each color has received some overly powerful bombs to play with. However, this has been anything but "balanced."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Killer Joe said:
I actually "hate" any card that prevents me from winning! ;)
No cards prevent me from winning...

Seriously though, if I hate any cards, it's the really bad cards like Chimney Imp...

Ferret

Staff member
As much as I agree that every colour has their little mechanics that give them the potential to win, counterspells can deal w/ most of them. The only things that are protected from counterspells are a few random spells and Lands. Everything else can be neutralized before they even hit the table...

...of course, in their defense, you just can't win a game by saying "No!" to the other players so you'll have to put in some cards that will help you win. If you pack your deck w/ counters, you're still going to be limited on the space you can dedicate to these cards. So, it's not like a deck w/ 12-20 counters will automatically win...although, it will undoubtedly drive your opponent nuts :)

-Ferret

"Back for a short period - order now while supplies last..."