Great news for your pocketbook!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Heck, I remember getting Fallen Empires for 50 cents a pack...

Admittedly, it was out for a while, but still... :)

N

Notepad

50 cents? Dang!

I remember one time I saw a box of it for sale for $20...and ignored it because I had already bought my fill of the set for 99 cents a pack.

Man, those were the good old days.

I have to agree with Istanbul that this silliness just calls for an end to buying retail packs. I bought a few Mirrodin retail, but I guess I ain't buying anymore anything retail now...

(Hey, anybody remember when you could get a starter deck of Revised for a "normal price" of $7.99?) Damn I feel old.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I had also bought a box (my first) of Fallen Empires but at 50 cents, I just had to grab some :)

I also remember the $7.99 Revised Starter. Good times...

N

Notepad

What was real funny about the old days was how people viewed the market. I remember one time at a convention (no I was not cosplaying megatof then) I overheard two dealers saying something like:

"The next Revised is coming out. Think this Revised is going to go up like Unlimited?"
"No. There's too much Revised out there. They flooded the market. It'll never go up."

Sorta true ine one sense, but then again, not much of value was removed from Revised into the transition to 4E. Though, Dual Lands sure did go up in value!

I also remember getting a free pack of Fallen Empires in a Duelist issue. Then another time (or maybe same issue) there was a free Jyhad pack. Awesome!

I liked when you could get free packs with mag purchases. Nowadays we get crappy single cards.

N

Notepad

I ain't talking their international subscription thing, I mean just out of the ordinary.

I think Duelist #4 was the one that came polybagged with a free booster of Fallen Empires (english)

I cant remember what came with the Jyhad (english) pack.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I always had the subscription so I don't know... although I'm thinking the international subscription thing came after #4...

N

Notepad

If I remember correctly, it came around Homelands. I remember thr first ads showing foreign Ice Age and Homelands tourney cards.

Bleh, what a sad deal that was, since the Duelist turned to poo shortly after, and the whole mag went down. I rather liked it "back in the old days." (when they had free packs! :D )

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
My memory's hazy now, but I remember it being decent until the very end, during the transition to Top Deck. Some things they could have kept, like Mr. Suitcase, but overall it was still good :)

N

Notepad

Originally posted by Spiderman
My memory's hazy now, but I remember it being decent until the very end, during the transition to Top Deck. Some things they could have kept, like Mr. Suitcase, but overall it was still good :)
Ah yes, Mr. Suitcase.

An early feature I really used to like was According to Mr. Pling. If anybody remembers reading those at original issue release, you're old! I think they never made it past issue #4 or #5 or so.

Back then Jyhad had just come out. I remember coverage then: "Hey, this game isn't much like Magic!" duh...funny how everyone thought a card game had to be like Magic if it was a CCG.

Brings back memories that prove I'm a friggen Magic fossil, like the first Scrye I ever saw (forgot the number) which had a picture of Icatian Infantry on it.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ooo, yeah, According to Mr. Pling! I remember reading about how some guy lost 30+ Black Loti he was collecting due to flooding along the Mississippi River... all according to Mr. Pling.

Yeah, I'm a Magic fossil too :) In fact, I still have all my old Duelists, all except #1 when I didn't know there was such a thing as the Duelist. :)

T

train

some guy lost 30+ Black Loti he was collecting due to flooding along the Mississippi River
And the farmer's child that found them just threw them in a box somewhere with all the Mickey Mantle rookies that also floated away...;)

T

train

Nowadays some people might pay upwards fo a 100 just because then can try to straighten it out, and put it in sleeves...;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, but it'd probably be bloated and crinkly... probably wouldn't fit.

But you're right, there's always someone out there who would try...

Killer Joe

The folks who run our pre-releases (Professional-Events Services) announced that the main event is $30, Flights $25 and drafts $18. Not too much of a problem for me but the kiddies are taking a big hit.
:(

N

Notepad

I remember that story. The reason the cards were totally lost was because they were not only trapped in the basement of flood water, but also with a bunch of cans of paint thinner that happened to mix with the water.

Sad...