Getting The Word Out (ie: death of CPA rumors)

Ferret

Staff member
Spiderman said:
Well, it doesn't hurt to try. That way we know if it works or not.

Although I'm still skeptical of the Featured Thread thing. I don't think it's brought in anyone except maybe DragonbloodThirsty(?) who seemed to show up after they started. But I guess one is better than none :)
Oh please. You're more skeptical of new ideas than I am - and that says something. The featured thread thing, at least, provides a little bit of filler for the front page. It just seems like you're looking for huge radical increases in message traffic right from the get-go. Well, it doesn't work that way. Patience is required when changes go into effect. Give it some time...

Meanwhile, Orgg's response to replying to articles struck a chord w/ me. Leave it be. If it adds to the apeal of the site, we shouldn't take it away...

-Ferret

"If it's not broke, don't fix it..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm more skeptical of ideas that try to further the Magic "mission" when the site's been here for 5 years and this is what we have to show for it. I'm willing to give it a shot, but exactly how much "time" is needed before people admit that it's not working? And I'll say the same thing regarding changes to make it more general gaming.

But now, if more people are turning against the idea of linking forum replies to front page articles, I'll leave it be for now.

C

Chaos Turtle

Here's what I think should be done.

Leave the reply system as it is. If someone makes a thread discussing the article, we can Feature it. The feature can link both to the original article and to the thread. And/or...we can let authors who particularly want a discussion thread started to have a thread made with a link in the article to it. Or we could do that with every article; make a thread that says "this thread is for the discussion of "<article name & link>" by <author>.

Simple, no?

Killer Joe

Mooseman showed up (a friend of mine who actually registered here 2.5 yrs ago but only has 2 posts). So he should be considered new-ish. :rolleyes:

Killer Joe

I am a little skiddish to let on more about him w/o his permission, but I DO game with him. He' HAS posted replies on the front page, though.

D

DarthFerret

My thought is, if it ain't broke, dont try to fix it. So the main thing needed to be determined, is there any real problem that the "change" would fix, or address?

If not, then why bother. It could alienate a few members. If the ends justify the means, go for it!

There...my 2 cents worth.

Incidently, I found this site from a reference who no longer posts here. I know I have been a lil slow on the posts lately, but life has this funny way of becoming complicated

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think it's "broke", as you guys starkly put it. I think it's "ailing" and could use a little rejuvenation and if the current mission of just Magic aren't working (which I'm not quite willing to say since we're trying to do some changes right now), then something else is needed.

N

Notepad

Used to be in favor of general gaming. Not in favor of it now. Magic should be the focus. Expanding to other games won't really bring in more people. It will just water us down, in the end. And, that's Super Bad (tm).

We should do the slow changes to trickle in traffic for Magic. Anybody up for hiring models who will cosplay famous Magic female characters? See, the way I think--we lure in people with the cute cosplay models, then show a few sample pictures. With a link at the bottom "See Serra Angel NUDE, only $3.95!!!" and then we'd be rolling in new traffic.

You know you wanna see this!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
What's "cosplay"? Short for "costume role-play"? (the closest I could think of)

That's actually a funny idea... if we do that, then we'd have to change our age group focus to "adult" and then y'all can curse and my oink will just be a memory... :p

N

Notepad

Then we can have the models wear shirts that say oink across the front.

...before they strip them off, of course...

N

Nightstalkers

Yeah, we should start up some CPA memorabilia or something.... Have shirts with Oink!, My other shirt has a Serra Angel on it, and other nifty things on the front.

Hey... it's an idea isn't it?

Killer Joe

Nightstalkers said:
Yeah, we should start up some CPA memorabilia or something.... Have shirts with Oink!, My other shirt has a Serra Angel on it, and other nifty things on the front.

Hey... it's an idea isn't it?
At first I read it as, "My Mothers skirt....." I think I need glasses :rolleyes:

Spidey: Every article I post for the GASPs newsletter I provide a link to here. Check Feb's newsletter: www.GASPgamer.com

N

Nightstalkers

What is the official CPA logo anywho? do we even have one?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think we have one, but if we do, I'd say it's that design seen at the top left of the screen.

Ferret

Staff member
I remember back in the early days when we didn't even have a site (just this vb thing here) we bounced around a few different logo ideas. As everyone knows by now, I was a huge fan of the old orange and black logo, but I think that the current one is a little easier on the eyes and actually "feels" more casual...

-Ferret

"But, I wouldn't mind the old colours coming back..."

N

Notepad

It would be nice to have a logo of some sort. Would be pretty cool to have one iconic image that says to anyone who looks at it--"CPA" but not as bluntly as the so-called logo we have now.

That way we could make banners and buttons for links, as Mrs. F suggested. And she could stop crying and act like a man for once!

Aw crap, I think Mr. F is gonna be mad...