Gaffs & Goofs

Killer Joe

Hey, isn't it possible that GWBush could erradicate the whole two-term limit law and declare himself dictator or something,....well, is it?

Also, Hillary will not get the dem nod and neither will Gore because 1.) by the time he finishes announcing his candidacy (it'll take several months to do so) the election will be over and 2.) he's too much of an intellectual and nobody likes a know-it-all :p

Hey, what's the latest with "TB Andy"? You know, the guy who busted through the Canadian customs with an illness and red flagged him but the border guard figured since he didn't look sick he let him through?

...which borders do we need to make better????

D

DarthFerret

If you lived in Texas, you would not be asking that question..... Trust me! I am sick and tired of all of the Illegal GimmeGrants that come over here, and then use thier "stolen" rights to wave a foreign flag in my face.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I have to agree with DF here. There are no squatter's rights here.... Look, they took a chance and rolled the dice.... they don't call them illegal aliens for nothing and this goes for those that stay past their visa limits too. Many non-US "students" stay well beyond their student visa expirations.... they too are illegal aliens. Don't let those who came here legally or are waiting for a legal visa get screwed by those who came here illegally.
And there should be one language in the US..... English.

This rant was brought to you by lots of work and little magic playing....... :p

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
DarthFerret said:
If you lived in Texas, you would not be asking that question..... Trust me! I am sick and tired of all of the Illegal GimmeGrants that come over here, and then use thier "stolen" rights to wave a foreign flag in my face.
So, a flag that isn't the Texas flag? :rolleyes:

N

Nightstalkers

Yeah, I haven't figured that one out meself. I swear, it's like the illegals from mexico are a pre-invasion force or something. Their goal is to take low paying jobs at lower wages than what a normal person can afford to take in, mass market the Taco Bell foods, and keep themselves from becoming actual citizens of the US by shunning everything american and embracing their "heritage". Excuse me, but even the legal immigrants hate you guys because all you do is mock a country they are now a part of and consider their home because you guys mocked and economically screwed them over... stop following them, it pisses them off.

And yeah, I think it's funny as hell that bush would commission more fense to be put up ... fences are easy to get through, now try harder. Lets invent a firestorm defense system instead. You want across the border? Line up at the border crossing sites and appy for citizenship or try sneaking through the giant bug zapper. ****, even my great grandparents who crossed here from europe and my ancestors who came here on sailing ships applied for citizenship in one way or another.

E

EricBess

I've been involved with it before. Not personally, but we were helping some people get ready for the tests, etc. I don't know exactly how long it takes, but I know it isn't something that happens overnight.

I don't think the problem is with people who are trying to become legal, though. There are visas and so forth right from the start so they can be in the country legally before they become citizens.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I've heard it takes 5-10 years, depending on what category you fall in. Is someone going to wait that long just so they can earn more money than they can at home?

Killer Joe

Of course we have an illegal immagration problem and it all started with Reagan,.....right? C'mon now, give me an "Amen" brother.......did he or didn't he pass a real "Get in our country for FREE" bill?

Warning: This is a test for you Spin Docters to somehow blame it on Carter or Clinton.

Take the fence down and give every illegal (including the Irish) 40 days to get out of the country,....then start gathering them and send them to Turkey for prison time.

E

EricBess

Actually, I blame it on FDR. The "New Deal" welfare programs and work programs are part of the reason why they all want to come into our country in the first place.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
EricBess said:
Actually, I blame it on FDR. The "New Deal" welfare programs and work programs are part of the reason why they all want to come into our country in the first place.
Seriously? I mean, I can't exactly fault the reasoning. But I'm sure one could just as easily blame it all on George III or someone. In fact, the further back in time you go, the more people there are that could be blamed...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Mooseman said:
But many people stay in the US on work visas, until they earn their citizenship.
Yes, but how many of those are there? And I think they still expire. I believe they aren't easy to get either, with the 9/11 regulations in place.

Maryland itself had to pass some emergency measure so the people who usually pick crabmeat on work visas could come to the US last year and I believe this year because the issue is moving so slow. And there was an article in the Baltimore Sun recently about how the owner of one crabpicking plants tried to use "U.S. labor", like ex-convicts - ANYONE from the US, and the reality is no one wants to do that kind of labor. But the pay is still higher than what one would earn in Mexico so they do it.

E

EricBess

Oversoul said:
Seriously? I mean, I can't exactly fault the reasoning. But I'm sure one could just as easily blame it all on George III or someone. In fact, the further back in time you go, the more people there are that could be blamed...
Hey man...I was just responding to Killer Joe. But now that you mention it, George III probably is at fault. We should find that guy and impose some sanctions :D

D

DarthFerret

At least he is veto'ing the newest Stem Cell legislation. All morality debates aside, don't ya think that the companies that will end up making profit off of this should foot the initial startup costs, instead of us taxpayers?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
DarthFerret said:
At least he is veto'ing the newest Stem Cell legislation. All morality debates aside, don't ya think that the companies that will end up making profit off of this should foot the initial startup costs, instead of us taxpayers?
Not really, but anybody making penny one off of this research should have to pay back all the federal money spent to develop their product. It's a cost of doing business that most companies have shirked since at least George III's time..

E

EricBess

Yeah, California had a recent vote on whether or not to spend tons of taxpayer money to fund private groups in researching alternative energy sources. It was voted down thankfully.

Soon after, the price of eggs in stores triples. Turns out that there are groups buying up all the corn to produce ethanol. More expensive to feel chickens, so the price of eggs go up.

Now, they are trying to introduce legislation to require that all gasoline in California contain a certain percentage of ethanol for "environmental reasons". I wonder if they same people are pushing for this legislation that were pushing for the previous.

I'm all for alternative energy sources, but shortage drives up prices, so if they can't get the alternative to be actractive financially without forcing people to buy it by law, then maybe you should continue the research...

D

DarthFerret

The newest report on the Immigration bill being debated: It was stated by one of the bills proponents, that the V-Card (thier fancy term for amnesty) would entail a 24 hour background check to ensure that they are not felons, wanted men, etc...

If they could do that kind of check in 24 hours I will eat this webpage. If a check for a clean bill of health would only take 24 hours, then why is it taking over 5 weeks (in some cases much longer) for people to get a passport? It has been stated that because of the new laws concerning travel to Mexico, Canada and other places that previously did not require a passport, it is estimated that an additional 1-2 million people will be getting passports this year. 1-2 million in a year. Take this and comapre it to the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants that will sign up for this new amnesty v-card? 24 hours? I think not. Someone in Washington (or several someones) should really have thier head examined.