Full Torment Spoiler!

R

Rando

True enough...but I've never understood how someone behind a pseudonym can upset you across the wide, wide 'net. I find it hard to be insulted by someone who I know does not know a thing about me.

Z

Zadok001

Calm down, folks. No fire here. Giz, while I agree with you, best to leave personal attacks elsewhence. It's safer, no one gets mad, and it's one less thing to set aside in reading the actual information you're trying to impart.

That information, of course, being that Torment looks quite powerful. While some of the cards look frighteningly dull, some of the others leave me overjoyed that the prerelease is almost here already!

Melkor

Well, well, I guess you can't stick around here without eventually stirring something up. Anyway, first, to clarify "cursory" practically the only thing I looked at were the rares. Second I meant the creative team in the monolithic sense, I'm sure that there have been plenty of changes, I didn't mean the same specific people. I meant the sort of policy that seems to have been implemented since Urza's that when in doubt power down the card. I just see so many cards that would be good and playable if they just cost 1 less or didn't apply to everybody, or were god forbid an instant instead of a sorcery. I don't really play competitively, I play a sort of underpowered type 1, so if something is good in type 2 or extended it doesn't necessarily make me all that motivated to go get it. Also Gizmo is totally right about Nemesis and possibly about Odyssey too, because I only bought three packs and each rare was worse than the one before it so I decided to quit then. Basically this is an internet message board and I feel free to make pithy unsubstantiated comments rather than long thoughtout substantiated arguements. Besides, if you start off unimpressed you can only go up from there.

G

Gizmo

Im staying gone from this hole.

I only came back to see what you made of the buttraping WotC are giving everyone over MTGO.

But when I see complete OWCHing retards posting utter OWCH without having the decency to HAVE A SINGLE OWCHING CLUE WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT before they decide to spout off and attack the Wizards design people, then I`m going to step in to defend them.

You people all love to bash Wizards as some faceless monstrosity without which your life would be idyllic. I just think somebody should occasionally pipe up to point out that you`re being moronically shortsighted and just making fools of yourself.

... is gone.

[Bye, Giz. Been sorta nice knowin' ya, even if half the time I didn't agree... -Orgg]

[Did you change your animal sound, theorgg? I don't remember it being OWCH - Spidey :) ]

Melkor

Cool, I broke his brain (well not really, but it's fun to say)

Casual players are by and large a nostaligic breed, everything was better in the past. Which for me constitutes two separate times, Revised when I first started playing, and Legacy when I started playing again after quitting for a while. I mean, the beauty of it is that "the good old days" sets weren't necessarily better than todays, but it was the good old days so it didn't matter. Now that I don't buy very many cards anymore I have a completely different perspective on what is good and bad. I can still understand how cards are good irrespective of the use that I would be able to put them too, but when I make my initial reaction to a set it basically consists of, how many rares did I see that I would be really happy to pull out of my first pack. I personally found that the Torment rares didn't really tickle my imagination. Anyway, I don't even know who this is supposed to be addressing any more so it's time to go.

C

Chaos Turtle

Hi Gizmo!

...(silence)...

Bye Gizmo.

Oh, well. Anyhow, I'm excited about Torment and the pre-release this coming weekend. I agree with Gizmo in that the madness mechanic seems woefully underused (10 cards).

With black poised to become such a powerful force, it will be interesting to see (both in limited and constructed) how people deal with it. Most black removal gets worse, and Shadowmage Infiltrator suddenly finds himself with lots of creatures willing to stand in his way. Throw in Chainer's Edict and watch single-creature win conditions (Psychatog) have all-new problems.

I'm interested to see whether Insist and friends will make any impact at all in loosening blue's stranglehold on the metagame, especially considering blue's two new (and very playable*) counterspells.

All in all, I think Torment is really going to shake things up a bit, which is always a good thing.

*Well, one of them is.

M

Major Crime

I think it must be that the dark winter days over here have got to Gizmo. He seems to be nicer in the summer months.

I may not like this set, as I hate playing against black decks:eek:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think he's still "smarting" over the rather terrible treatment he got from 9/11.

Anyhoo, since I'm probably going to the Prerelease, I guess I should read up on the cards... :)

R

rkoelsch

It would almost be worth driving the 700 miles to Baltimore to see that. Nah. I am tempted to go to this prerelease but will wait for Judgement. Did I mention that it is the WHITE set.:D

R

Rando

Go ahead and go, and just build Anti-Black...since most everyone else will be drooling to play the nifty new black cards, you just might clean house. Go with White/Green or White/Blue, I say.

H

Hetemti

They're afraid you'll use spidersence to call their bluffed counterspells, and block as though you had flying.

R

Rando

I was just under the assumption that you did not really play anymore.

A

Apollo

Sure, you'll have a good time. Naturally, we're all expecting you to win, now.;)

I'm kind of like Melkor. Back when I played all the time, I'd look at a spoiler like this and see the good rares, and go "Wow! I can't wait to find one of them in a pack!" Now, I know there's some good stuff, but I see some utter junk rares, and I say "Oh, geez, I'd hate to get one of them in a pack." The set isn't necessarily worse, but I'll see the stuff I don't want instead of what I do want. So I don't buy anything, for fear I'll get something stupid and blow three bucks that could go towards Virtua Tennis.:) It's weird how your mindset changes.

I think it's cool how they're sorta going towards specific colors now, though. Since I'm not up to date, will they be doing other colors beyond black and white? I might get something from a red expansion.

M

Mr_Pestilence

Well, things usually change after actually playing with the cards, but just reading the spoiler, I'm kinda underwhelmed.

Yeah, Black has a bunch of cards, but except for a couple or three interesting cards that will just be countered or bounced, nothing to get excited about.

Madness...?

Just a factor in limited, next to useless in constructed.

C

Chaos Turtle

Time will tell, but I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing Basking Rootwalla and Fiery Temper in Standard decks. The rest of the madness stuff doesn't exactly thrill me, though.

I think Sonic Seizure and Grim Lavamancer will also make an appearance.

As far as he rest is concerned, I'd agree that there aren't a lot of "power" cards, but I do think that there will a lot of cards whose impact is not immediately apparent, as well as a few cards that will let us re-evaluate the older cards (or at least the Odyssey material).