Full Torment Spoiler!

L

Lotus Mox

Retraced Image
R, Sorcery , U
Reveal a card in your hand, then put that card into
play if it has the same name as a permanent in play.

Exploration for 1 turn anyone?

I

Istanbul

Rares I want four copies of:

Possessed Aven
Dawn of the Dead (combine with Teroh's Faithful and a sacrifice effect for 3 life every turn)
Laquatus' Champion
Mutilate (AKA Black Wrath)
Nantuko Shade
Devastating Dreams (Wildfire made-to-order)

T

theorgg

This one card makes me doubt the validity of the spoiler, if not just this one card:

Hell-Bent Raider
R, Creature - Barbarian, 1RR, 2/2
First strike, haste
Discard a card at random from your hand: Hell-Bent
Raider gains protection from white until end of turn.
Well, I've never seen any occurence of "Hell" unless it was somthing like "hellhound" on any card, and I don't think they would name anything "Hell-Bent" for quite some time...

It's kinda... bent, ain't it?

S

superguy

Wow, a full spoiler... thanks :)

theorgg - what about Hell's Caretaker?

T

theorgg

Still...

Hell-Bent doens't sound like a cardname nowadays...

Mabe Gerrard's Bent might work...

Z

Zadok001

CT: Wizards has been pretty careful about stepping on religious toes for some time now, and the word "hell" doth not bode well. However, they have used Hellhound, and similar phrases, leaving that argument a bit out of the water, if you will.

Reading spoiler now!

C

Chaos Turtle

I understand about a history of avoiding certain potentially offensive (to the hypersensitive) words, but hellhound and hellion are both used in cardnames, even fairly recently. (By fairly recently I mean post-Tempest. I merely point out that hell-bent is an ordinary, even everyday word.

Besides, they keep printing Wrath of God, which I'm surprised more people aren't effended by. I'm not, of course - I think God should destroy everyon ... er, all creatures in play more often. :p

Anyhow, I thight the objection to the name was that it didn't "sound like a cardname nowadays," which I took to mean that it just sounded weird, perhaps mundane.

Personally, I think "cephalid" sounds weird, and "Dwarven Grunt, " mundane. ;)

H

Hetemti

Well, it isn't actually referencing Hell as a place, merely as an adjective, so it'll probably scan.

As for Sengir Vampire as a RARE...well, I just pray I don't pull any at the PreRe. That's simply absurd. Serra sux as rare, so will Sengie. At least I've plenty of them if it somehow becomes T2 popular.

Devistating Dreams might make my LD deck plausible...good stuffs. Skullscorch looks interesting...course, they'll usually pay the 4 life, and drop the red-hoser next turn. Firey Temper sounds interesting...but nothing shocking.

(Darn puns)

Melkor

A cursory examination tells me that this looks like another crappy set made by a creative team that put their hand in the fire for Urza's block and has been to scared to make a real set since (with the possibe exception of Apocolypse).

R

rkoelsch

This set looks okay(which is saying a lot seeing as I hate black) but I am really looking forward to Judgement The White Expansion. Maybe after Judgement WW will be viable again.(for a short time.)

G

Gizmo

A cursory examination tells me Melkor is a moron who couldnt tell a good expansion if a crate of booster dropped on his head.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Why is it that you complained last week (or two) how other members were insulting people for their views here, yet you take a personal shot at one now?

What's wrong with either paradying his post in a positive review or just saying you disagree?

G

Gizmo

Well its the way that he talked utter bollocks from beginning to end. Allow me to demonstrate.

1. "A cursory examination... "
His one saving grace is that he says this is a cursory glance. If he comes back to say that after actually reading the cards properly he has changed his mind, then maybe I`ll ease up a bit.

2."tells me that this looks like another crappy set..."
This is actually a relatively interesting set, although the Madness mechanic is underused and uninteresting. I`m also going to take this advantage to have a cheap shot at Istanbul, who two months ago claimed that Madness would be broken WITHOUT SEEING ANY OF THE CARDS OR EVEN WHAT MADNESS DID! What a (knee)jerk :rolleyes:. Anyway back to the point, this set has some extremely powerful cards in, and a huge amount to offer to counter-act the trend of playing multi-colored decks. Calling it 'crappy' is a long way wide of the mark.

3."made by a creative team that put their hand in the fire for Urza's block..."
In fact following Urzas Block the design team for Magic was completely reshuffled, also there was a similar rotation of staff when Hasbro took over. Richard Garfield returned to design at some point, and the R&D team is constantly bringing in new members. Fundamentally the Torment design team is NOT the same as the team who designed Urzas Block.

4."and has been to scared to make a real set since (with the possibe exception of Apocolypse)."
And this statement is pure lunacy. Odyssey is the second-strongest standalone expansion ever printed, second only tp Tempest (assuming you discount the banned cards from Urzas Block, which you should). Its impact on Extended is proof of that. This statement also dismisses any worth from Nemesis, which was an extremely powerful expansion.

Hi point was basically, to summarise:
'this set is bad, because it was designed by the people who designed Urzas Block, and they havent made a good set since'

Whereas the truth is:
'this set is pretty good, and was not designed by the people who designed Urzas Block, and there have been several good sets since'

Which, to my mind, makes him a moron who couldnt tell a good expansion if a crate of boosters dropped on his head.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not arguing whether his statement was valid or not. Obviously it was his opinion and I think you did a nice job rebutting it right above.

I just question whether adding your last sentence is necessary, as it "attacks" the poster and not the post, which is what I'd like not to happen.

Debate the idea, not the person behind the idea :)

I

Istanbul

Hey, Gizmo?

Do us all a favor. Stay gone. Nobody likes you and your wretched attitude here.

R

Rando

Speak for your self.

Sticks and stones my friend. Try thickening up a bit and brush it off.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The thing is that you shouldn't have to thicken up your skin if people don't insult each other.

And that probably wasn't necessary either, Isty (yeah, I know he took a shot at you in his post, but let's not perpetuate the cycle. Please? :) )