Freaking Mice!

turgy22

Nothing Special
Need to rant here a bit.

Okay, so on Monday, my wife calls me at work telling me we have a mouse in our house. Apparently she spotted it in one of our drawers (where we keep our oven mitts and potholders) and found mouse droppings in our utensil drawer. Since she's kind of incapable of handling these types of things alone, I told her to wait until I got home, I'd set up a trap and we'd be done with it. We had gotten a mouse before and managed to trap it and be mouse-free for a while.

Anyway, I got home and got to work cleaning out our cabinets where the mouse was hiding. I took all the cleaning supplies out from under the sink and cleaned all the food out from the cabinet next to it. While doing so, I discovered that the mouse had eaten my peanut butter pretzel sandwiches that I take to work every day and had taken a bag of that same day (before he showed up.) Not only that, but the freaking mouse actually took all the pretzel sandwiches apart and ate only the peanut butter from the inside! He also ate some Heath bars.

So after everything was cleaned out, my wife went to show me where she spotted him in the drawer and when she opened it, he was still there. So I set up a trap in the drawer, went to pick up dinner (not cooking that night) and we waited. While we were eating, I heard the trap go off (this ruined my wife's appetite, by the way... maybe because it kept rustling after the trap went off.) So after I finished eating, I checked the trap and found the bug-eyed little twerp squished nicely. I cleaned the trap, disinfected the cabinets and drawers, put all the utensils in the dishwasher and all the cloth stuff in the wash. Then I put all the food back and eventually went to bed.

The next day, I got up and opened the cabinet for my peanut butter pretzels to find fresh mouse droppings. So I spent my morning cleaning all the food out again (this time they didn't touch my pretzels, but got into a bag of chocolate chips) and resetting the trap. My wife refused to check it all day, but when I got home from work, nothing was in it anyway. When we were settling down for bed, I heard it go off downstairs.

So I went down, prepared to dump the trap again, but when I opened the cabinet, I didn't see the usual tail sticking out the front of the trap. I shone a flashlight in the back of the trap (it's covered) and saw fur, so I picked it up and looked inside and a freaking mouse is staring back at me... alive. I kind of freaked out and threw the whole trap in the trash, while I thought about what to do next. Eventually, I decided to just shake it out into the trash and throw it outside in our barrel, where hopefully it wouldn't escape until trash pickup. Then maybe it can lead a nice peaceful life in a landfill.

Just to be on the safe side, I reset two traps (one in the kitchen, one in the basement... where I think they came in through) with peanut butter for the night. I didn't hear anything before bed, but when I got up in the morning both traps were empty (including the bait) and untriggered. So I reset them again, this time smearing peanut butter all over the panels that snap the trap, which I hoped would make it nearly impossible to get the bait without setting off the trap. Alas, just a few minutes ago, I went to check the traps to find that one was again empty and untriggered. Not only that, there were mouse turds on the freaking panel that sets the trap! I should not be cleaning mouse turds out of my mouse traps!

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions on how to get rid of a mouse infestation, I'd love to hear them. My next idea (which I got from my in-laws) was to place a vase under an area I know they use. Then they'll fall in the vase without being able to escape, and I can release them far from my home, which is obviously more humane than the traps, but more work, too. If the vase idea doesn't work, I'm thinking of using sticky traps, which I'd rather not do, but I'm out of ideas. Of course, if all else fails, we'll just call an exterminator, but I'd rather not spend more money than I have to.

I'm also thinking about getting a snake.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
turgy22;281794 said:
Alas, just a few minutes ago, I went to check the traps to find that one was again empty and untriggered. Not only that, there were mouse turds on the freaking panel that sets the trap! I should not be cleaning mouse turds out of my mouse traps!
This is hilarious. It's like they're mocking you.

I'm also thinking about getting a snake.
As a pet, right? Not to get rid of the mice, I mean, because I doubt that would work. But snakes make good pets.

B

BigBlue

Get yourself a cat...

The don't even have to be a mouser... the smell of a cat will keep the mice out of your house.

When I was a kid, we had mice so bad....

(How bad you ask?)

Well, we'd set a trap, it'd go off about 5 minutes later. We'd deal w/ it and set it again... it'd go off about 5 minutes later. We'd deal w/ it and set it again... It'd go off about 5 minutes later. We'd deal w/ it and set it again...

After about 100 or so times... I think it started taking 6 minutes before it went off again... We eventually got tired of it and learned to live w/ mice. Until we got cats, then they mysteriously went away - or at least stayed out of the reach of the cats.

Mice (and apparently all mammals, or so I'm told, love Peanut Butter). That's why it's going after the PB.

Keeping everything immaculate won't stop them. Once you have mice in your house, they are there to stay. They're probably in there to stay warm.

As far as a snake goes - get a cat instead. they curl up nicely on your lap, and are much better suited as pets. While snakes eat mice, I don't think they deter them.

E

EricBess

So, a couple of years ago, we had a major mouse infestation in our garage. More recently, with all of the foreclosures, the house across the street was infested with roof rats and they were getting into our house to eat.

So, while I may or may not be able to help, I know a bit about what I'm talking about here.

First off, BigBlue is correct, they love peanut butter. The stereotype is that they love cheese, but peanut butter is seriously where it is at. Sounds like you are doing the right thing with the peanut butter.

Next, they are very smart and very skittish. Don't reuse traps as they can smell death and will learn to avoid them. Traps are cheap, so buy new ones, don't just clean them off.

They are very skittish of change as well, so it takes a while for them to get used to things. Don't set the traps right away. Leave the traps out and let them eat the peanut butter off them for a few days, then set them. By then, they will hopefully have let their guard down a bit and will be comfortable with the traps.

Next, get rid of their food supply. Go to Target or Walmart, or whereever and invest in plastic containers with lids. Put your crackers inside. The mice can't get in the lids. Basically, anything stored in your cabinets in boxes should probably get the same treatment.

Have you found any babies? The big problem with mice is that they breed very young and have a fast gestation period. The fact that they are living in the walls is going to be a problem.

Also, you can try bait traps. The bait they use dehydrates them. They don't get sick, which is important because they will learn to avoid it, but this also means it takes a few days for them to die. Don't do this if you have a cat, though...

Whatever you do, do it quickly. The longer you wait, the more there will be. Do you have a pest service? Ask them for assistance if you do as they might have some additional traps. With the mice, we had good luck with the glue traps, but our problem was in the garage, so I'm not sure you are going to be able to place the glue traps where they will do any good...

Don't give up until they are gone.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, I would just call the pest people if my traps didn't work (which is the triangular sticky kind that I think keeps them alive). Let them deal with it.

Good luck!

D

DarthFerret

Pretty simple. Get a cat, or call the exterminator. If the mice are truley living in your walls, you don't want to poison them so that they die and start to stink where you cannot get to them. I also am not a big proponent of the "live" traps. To heck with that. If there are mice in my house (have a cat, so should not have to worry about it) they are dead meat. Period.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Thanks for the recommendations.

I'm allergic to cats, so that's not really an option. (The snake thing was just a joke.)

I think I'm going to take most of EricBess's advice. Move all my food into plastic containers, throw away the old traps and try some new kinds.

E

EricBess

DarthFerret;281828 said:
Pretty simple. Get a cat, or call the exterminator.
The exterminator will use the same sorts of traps and/or bait that you can get at the store. The advantage of the exterminator is that they have more experience
If the mice are truley living in your walls, you don't want to poison them so that they die and start to stink where you cannot get to them.
They stink for about a week and then you have flies for another week. If they are living in the walls, you may have to do this as the babies won't move to where the other traps are until they are almost big enough to reproduce :(
I also am not a big proponent of the "live" traps.
I feel the same way, but the glue traps were the most effective for us and at some point, it's you or them...But keep in mind that the glue traps have a checmical on them that dehydrates the mouse, so they don't suffer as long as you think. You can also bash them over the head with a rock if you are worried about them suffering.

D

DarthFerret

I think it was mis-understood. I do not care about the mouse's comfort, or survival. I have never been that big of an animal lover I guess. They are animals, not people. If it is a pest (as are non-domesticated mice) then I say do whatever it takes, and forget how much "suffering" they go through.

EricBess said:
You can also bash them over the head with a rock if you are worried about them suffering.
Princess Bride said:
The minute his head is in view, Hit it with the rock!

B

BigBlue

But, what if I hit him with a Sock?

(Stop That!)

Get a Cat!

(I mean it!)

Anybody want a Peanut?

Ahhhh... Princess Bride... Haven't seen in it a few years...

P

porqueria

While glue traps are good for disposing of pinkies (the babies), they aren't the best for trapping mice, because mice secrete an oily substance in their fur which renders the glue ineffective, and they can escape. The noise a mouse makes when it is on a glue trap and trying to escape (for days until it either dies or escapes) will make your wife come unglued. Bait traps are good if you can't trap them, or if you are willing to wait a few days for them to die. The bait is formulated so they don't get sick the day they eat it because if they get sick, they won't come back and eat, and normally they don't eat enough at one feeding to kill them. I am not sure if a mouse eats bait and is nursing babies, if it is excreted in the nursing mothers milk and would kill the babies. When we had mice inside the house, and snap traps weren't doing the job, I went to Lowe's and got an 8 pack of the bait tray and put them everywhere I found mouse poop. (I wouldn't try this in a spot you keep food or utinsels though, because the active ingredient is a blood thinner like Warfarin, and you don't need more problems because your food/utinsels got contaminated.) I had to move them every morning before my kids got up because we have little kids at home and I didn't need accidental poisonings added to my mouse problem. I knew things were going the right way though, when the mouse poop I was finding started turning the same blue green color as the bait pellets. Another thing that works well is to stuff steel wool (fine metal thread) anywhere you think they might be accessing your kitchen. (In my case it was where the hose to the dishwasher connected to the disposal). The mice chew on the steel wool to try to get in and it ends up cutting their mouth and gums. I would stay away from the bait you can buy on the internet because although it attacks the mouses central nervous system so it stops eating, it also doesn't have an antidote and I don't like the idea of other animals becoming collateral damage if they eat the mouse when it runs around outside before it dies.
Also, when you set traps, it is important that you put the trap perpendicular to the wall, so the mouse will set it off as it scurries along the wall.
There is a ton of information on the internet about how to deal with a mouse infestation, so if you want to learn more than you ever wanted to about mice, you too can become a mouse exterminator :) http://web.aces.uiuc.edu/vista/pdf_pubs/MOUSE.PDF
GOOD LUCK!!!!

Also, the next time you trap a mouse and it is still alive, the mouse will be more securely "gone" if you flush it down the toilet than dump it in the trash where it can climb back out and work its way back into your house. That was the most humane way I could think of to dispose of a mouse I trapped in a box many years ago and couldn't stomach the thought of smashing it's head in with a broom or whatever.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
porqueria;281915 said:
Also, the next time you trap a mouse and it is still alive, the mouse will be more securely "gone" if you flush it down the toilet than dump it in the trash where it can climb back out and work its way back into your house. That was the most humane way I could think of to dispose of a mouse I trapped in a box many years ago and couldn't stomach the thought of smashing it's head in with a broom or whatever.
Just a note to anyone who is planning to kill me in a "humane" way and also happens to be in possession of an extremely large toilet: I would much rather be brained with a big rock than sucked into a big, filthy pipe to drown.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Good news, everyone!

I caught another one last night and there are significantly less droppings than I've seen previously. I used a fresh trap and followed the suggestion of putting it against the wall, which seemed to help, considering I hadn't caught anything in two days.

Hopefully that's the last of them. Every night, I clean all the crap out of the cabinets and check for fresh turds in the morning. Tonight, I'm going to leave an unset trap in the cabinet and see if any new poops show up and if the bait gets eaten. If not, and things stay clean for a couple days, I think it'll be safe to say my house is clean. Then I'll have to get to work plugging up my house to avoid future invasions.

M

Modus Pwnens

I'm not sure about Turgy's defecation habits, yet I believe he won, so that would be an incorrect representation of the results ;)

B

BigBlue

Oversoul;281924 said:
Just a note to anyone who is planning to kill me in a "humane" way and also happens to be in possession of an extremely large toilet: I would much rather be brained with a big rock than sucked into a big, filthy pipe to drown.
Dude, you just about made me have a heart attack!

turgy22

Nothing Special
rokapoke;281939 said:
Shouldn't the mice be scored by the turd?
If I got a point for every mouse I caught and they got a point for every time they left a turd in a trap without it going off, the official score would be Turgy: 3, Mice: 2.

I'm still winning.