Foreign magic cards

S

Slick

I have looked high and low, on the internet, for foreign magic cards and as far as I can tell, there are none. Does anyone know a website that sells foreign magic cards?

I

Istanbul

Actually, I have quite a few foreign cards...nothing huge, but some neat stuff. Want a list?

L

Landkiller

This seems like the place to ask:

Why are foreign cards worth more than ...(thinks of a term) native cards?

They are harder to read, that's the only difference I know.

F

Fire Slinger

I'm not sure about the value of foreign cards comparted to english cards. Everybody sells foreign cards for more than regular cards, maybe because they are harder to get.

One shop owner told me that foreign cards are actually worth less than their english counterparts.

Right now I have

1 Italian Beta Sol Ring

1 Italian Covetous Dragon

1 Italian Vampiric Tutor (BB)

I'm current looking for 2 German Morphlings

A

arhar

The common misconception people have about foreign BB cards is that something is "foreign Beta". I'm sorry to dissapoint you, but Alpha, Beta and Unlimited were released in English only.

And to answer a question why the foreign cards are valued higher than regular ones, it's quite simple: for collectors, foreign cards are extremely harder to get than English ones. Thus the price difference :)

C

Chaos Turtle

They also look cooler, in my inarguable opinion. ;)

Older Foreign BB cards are usually Revised Edition or 4th Edition. They are valued because they appear to be Beta cards, having the original art and a black border.

A foreign card from a BB set is valued somewhat less than a BB English verison of that card from the same set.

The exception is Asian cards, which for some reason fetch a higher price in the U.S. possibly because (if WotC is to be believed) they are not shipped to the U.S.
Also they look cooler. ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The only foreign cards I have are the ones that came in the Duelist/Top Deck and I'll gladly trade them for the English versions. Blech...

G

Gizmo

I`ve had quite some contact with foreign cards, thanks to the UK`s amazing traders (Cutting Edge) who go all round the world to ALL the big events and basically get you whatever you ask for ('Summer Magic' Wrath? Guru Lands? Blue Hurricane? they even got Splendid Genesis - I held it in my own hands so I know it`s real).

The most commonly sought after foreign cards are the first printings of Revised as they were black bordered, and therefore they are significantly easier to get hold of than the Beta versions (the only other place to get BB Wraths etc). Typically they go for a couple of pounds more than the WB stuff
ie: WB Wrath £4 ($6), BB Wrath £7 ($10)

Revised stuff from Asia is more valuabel generally. We don`t see much of it over here, and what we do see usually stays in the hands of the people who got it and doesn`t get traded around much.

Foreign editions of more recent expansions are not particularly more valuable than the english versions apart from a few key cards where top-level tournament demand is high, but then most traders know that you`ll happily buy the English version so prices aren`t too high. (except for Korean Cursed Scrolls, which were misprinted to cost only 2 to activate).
ie: Tradewind £4, Japanese Tradewind £8

Basically, some people like Foreign cards because it is like a status symbol (and can actually affect play, my teammate lost because he thought his opponent had cast Survival Of The Fittest - it was in fact a French Oath Of Druids, which begins with an 'S' and so was shocked to see a Thorn Elemental pop up next turn). Asian cards ARE more valuable - they are both much scarcer (esp in Europe) and they look top and confuse small children no end.
Me: "I`m casting =+/?'@"
Confused Opponent "WTF does that do?"
Me: "Can`t you read? It @="%`#, but if I pay another 3 mana then it also does {#:'=*.
Opponent: "?"
Me: "It translates as 'you scoop up all your permanents, and if I pay 3 I get to take a card of my choice from your folder permanently'"
Opponent: <scoops cards and reaches for folder>

SLICK
If you still want to find foreign cards then Cutting Edge will help, but you`ll have to ask them about shipping prices to wherever you are (they are very reasonable guys. Tell them Sutty and Rigby sent you and they`ll sort you out because we see them every week at tournaments).
http://www.cutting-edge-collectibles.com
They really actually ARE the best traders in the world - ee remember when they started out small with a single folder, and now they rule the world.

M

Mr_Pestilence

I've got lots of foreign cards I'd love to trade - what are you looking for?

O

Ogg

Considering I just went to Paris and bought a few French packs, I suppose I have some. And Alpha, Beta, etc. are from a set called 'Rennisance', or something similar, which only came out in French and German. I bought a pack. And so, I have a small pile of French Prophecy cards. Gotta love the Pasteur d'ecureuils, (Squirrel Wrangler??). Or my foil Zombie suture (Whipstitch Zombie). Or my 'Beta' Orques de la Griffe de fer (Ironclaw orcs, actually from rennisance). Oh, fun fun with French.

OGG CRUSH! MAIM!! KILL!!!

O

Ogg

And, um, slick... DON'T YOU ALREADY HAVE ABOUT 12 AVATARS OF WOE!?! GODDAMN! You DON'T need French ones, though I admit it *might* be cool.. Wait, what am I saying? Blast.

A

arhar

Splendid Genesis is, if memory serves me right, a card that Dr. Garfield created to celebrate the birth of his son :) I don't think many copies of that card exist ;)

N

Neil Rigby

Yes, Splendid Genesis was created to celebrate the birth of Mr Garfields child and there are very few in the world (about a dozen 'I think') and us lucky U.K. folk have the chance of winning it (cash value = £3000 approx) because Joe (top geezer from Cutting Edge) is raffling it off to celebrate the birth of HIS child. Woohoo :p :D

M

mogg bomber

When Yavipai Open gets back up, you can see Splendid Genesis there. I don't remember the exact wording on the card, but it costs GGGG and adds a third player to the game by shuffling the two players decks together and dealing them out into three decks. Another card of interest is Garfield's third card(the first being Proposal and the second Splendid Genesis) Fraternal Consternation. I've seen this for sale at one site online(I can't remember which site though, at a price of $4,000 I'd imagine they still have it). I can't remember what it does right now, but it's a blue card that costs UUUU.

M

Multani

Are you sure that Fraternal Consternation is a real card? It's not in the Apprentice decklist.