Forbidden Ritual

O

orgg

Train...

On this account, you're dead wrong.

I built that deck. It won a grand total of once, against a mana screwed opponent.

ONCE. The token generators are too clunky to get up the thirty + permanants you need to really use the Forbidden Ritual effectivly. Granted, it's still a 'fun' card... but the 'nontoken' thing can safely be ignored when you're in a casual game... I'd go as far as saying it should simply be repealed altogether.

Erratta'ing a card to be counter-intuitive and taking away uses shouldn't be done, in my opinion. Waylay's removal from little tricky uses was the reason the CPA formed-- the 'only during combat' erratta simply made the card much worse for no reason and went against the whole use of the card, nevermind the intention. Erratta of 'you may not play this during the end step/phase/whatever' would have done much more than the erratta it recieved. Similar things have happened with 'Fear,' 'AEther Storm' and 'Paralyze.'

T

train

you built which deck?...

The tombstone/ritual?...

Looking at it ideally - I was thinking more along the lines blue/black as the strongest build - unless you ran contamination as a control method - then mono-black would be strong enough to stand on it's own...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Not that I'm backing up train, but does one person (so far) who built the deck and "made it" unworkable (no offense, I'm in a rush and can't think of a nicer phrasing :) ) mean that's its unviable or not broken? Maybe we need the CPA idea team again to see if this would be broken with token generators...

T

train

i can say right now it's broken with token generators...

City of solitude in play, intruder alarm out, I go perpetual with my squirrel nested, animated twig...

R

Rooser

Yeah, but train, that's a 5 card combo. There are faster, more broken 3-card combos with no errata.

Besides, by your "perpetual token" logic, Epic Struggle is broken too, and it's not. Fact of the matter is, in an infinite token deck is likely to win on account of it has infinite creatures, not because somebody tops it off with a forbidden ritual.

I always thought Epic Struggle was dumb because if you can't win the game with 20 creatures in play, you don't deserve to.

Same is true with the ritual - if you can't win with 30 permanents, get out of the game.

In the examples you gave Forbidden Ritual was only a "win more" card, and those don't need nerfing.

Some sort of tombstone stairwell combo is probably the only way to break an unerrataed Ritual, (If we're to follow the limitation of "what was out in those days").

Still, it'd be fun to try to genuinely "break" an unerrataed ritual, so let's get to it!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Everyone uses cards for purposes that they weren't originally intended for...

Well, maybe not everyone, but if that were what erratas were for, we'd have a lot more erratas...

We didn't mean for Balance to be broken, so let's errata the crap out of it...

Ancestral Recall? That thing's errata makes it cost too much...

Illusions of Grandeur? Errata'd...

Pandemonium? Nontoken...

Tolarian Academy? We meant artifact creatures...

Replenish? We meant local enchanments...

Necropotence? We meant 2 life...

Mind over Matter? Yeah, it's also supposed to have a 2U cost to activate the ability...

Iridescent Drake? Oh, I guess they really did do that one...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I always thought Epic Struggle was dumb because if you can't win the game with 20 creatures in play, you don't deserve to.
It's more a combo card, with the one that shifts all creatures in your graveyard to play (along with the card that dumps your library in play). You're not going to get to 20 creatures normally; if you do, I agree, you should be winning outright at that point anyway.

One player in my group plays with this and since we know what's coming up, we either hit him fast or hope for enchantment removal :)

Oversoul: If they weren't errata'd, most likely they ARE being used for original purposes (like Replenish). Others were early cards when WOTC was still getting a handle of the impact of the game, like Balance (and even then, it took a couple of years before people figured out it was undercosted). However, Rukh Egg is a prime example of getting errata'd almost right away thanks to people using it for unintended purposes. Time Walk also would have made it since it's original wording was "Opponent loses next turn" which caused playtesters to think the caster would win the game outright the next turn.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Ironically enough, as others pointed out, they don't see Illusions of Grandeur being used as originally intended. It actually can be abused, at least more than Forbidden Ritual wiout the errata. Illusions doesn't have an errata though...

Now, I don't want Illusions to have an errata, even though others here do, because I used to play that deck a lot and think it's a very fun deck (plus it's a challenging one to learn to play with/against). But if the errata on Forbidden Ritual is justified, then I would think it would call for an errata on Illusions. Both could be used as they weren't originally intended, but one is part of a deck that works...

edit: and works well.

H

Homestar

Wow, that is an awesome card. just get stuff like nuisance engine and other token generating cards and get a whole bunce of little 0/1 pest tokens ouyt then play that and BAM!!!!!! they wont kno what hit em

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
That's barring the errata and also assuming they give you time to set up the huge amount of tokens necessary to make an impact...