for the first time I really wonder If magic will die

N

NeuroDeus

All of the CPA should take up Arms and prepare ourselves for what will happen to the game that makes us stay awake during the nights thiniking of it! If anything will happen I WILL NOT STAND HERE LOOKIN LIKE A FRIKKIN MORON!

D

Duel

ALRIGHT!

I have a cause!

The only problem? It's nonsense. Hell, I seriously doubt that Hasbro will cancel magic. If they do, the rights will go on sale and someone will buy them.

Besides, it has a stable audience (I assume you guys are stable....) Wait for more evidence before we go charging off to destroy the corporate giants, eh?

G

Gerode

But killing corporate giants is fun!

I didn't know that 150 employees was only 5% of the company. I wouldn't think WotC had 3000 people.

G

Gerode

Apparently, it is big.

Do those employees include the WotC Game Stores?

C

Cateran Emperor

Well, in light of recent developments, it seems Gizmo and Ransac were partially correct, most cuts did come from Pokemon.

BUT

Several of the positions did come from Magic. Which ones they were and what it means I don't know, but I think our game should have very few changes made, if any.

Good call there. :cool:

F

fuzzy510

Magic is safe. Pokemon isn't. I can't think of anybody who still plays D&D. Some of their other games (MLB Showdown, WCW Nitro, Doomtown, etc.) fall under the same category as Pokemon. I went into a store, bought the last two Invasion packs, and noticed that they were selling Pokemon packs for $2.29 each. There's a reason for that.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

it would seem that (given sageridder's original impression) many of you think that the people at Hasbro have some sort of grudge against Magic and would cancel it at the slightest hesitation. I disagree with this. For example, they wouldn't cancel those stupid Beast Machines pieces of crud just because the numbers are down (as they probably are - fortunately I'm trusting that none of you will be willing to determine the validity of that statement by going to Hasbro's website and searching :) ). I'm not saying those things are as good as Magic, but they've had that product line (in one form or another, remember it was originally Transformers) for a long time, and I'm guessing they don't hate Magic enough to write it off as quickly as sageridder imagined, considering that it is a long-standing product with a fair amount of clout, one that doesn't cost them huge amounts of money. Instead of the Hasbro execs being averse to Magic or something, they probably just don't care about it. Trust me, there is a big difference between apathy and aversion (I should know).

Forget paragraph structure!

(Side note: John, that's because you don't know anybody at any card stores.)

D

Duster

Duel made a great point; M:TG won't go out because it has such a stable audience.
The pro-tours, etc. are just testaments to how popular it is, Hasbro would be making a big mistake to drop it. There is not a doubt that it's extremely profitable, think about it; 15 pieces of cardboard doesn't cost too much, and even employment doesn't cost that much when it comes to such a huge product. There is no doubt that they're making crazy money, and the only thing that could bring Magic down is if Hasbro got greedy and tried to make more money, turning a lot of players away from the game.

It's something to not worry about, at least for a couple years, as there are already plans and money into future expansions.

S'all,
Dustin

S

sageridder

I guess rereading my original statment I could understand you thinking I thought there was a grudge.But surely that was not my thought,it is the apathy it self that scares me.That it would or could come down to declining profits.I felt more comfortable,(altho often irritated with them)with the game in the hands of people that love to play the game.If hasbro will take there golden boy pukeman out to the woodshed and kill those jobs(a little close to christmas as well)how will we be handled with a bad quarter?I DO KNOW THE THAT'S NATURE OF BUISNESS,and I know what will be will be.I just felt more secure with a happy go lucky madman who would propose to his wife with a card,and not just give it to her but play 5 games till it came up.I realize this is just [color="336699"]whining[/color] and it can't be reversed.I guess it was just seeing the harsh buisness world ethics applied to a game I have come to love.

D

Duel

Ah, here's where "enlightened self-interest" kicks in.

So, assuming Hasbro has no love for the gaem and cares only to keep it in the black, right?

They make no money by canceling the game. None. Whatsoever. They make money by promoting it and spreading it's use around. They make money by seeing to it that more people play the game than before. They need us.

Hasbro will not cancel magic after a bad quarter for the same reason a jockey won't retire a horse after a bad race: if it has a good record (and Magic does) chances are, it will still turn a profit.

S

sageridder

I hope you're right.The costs added for magic are not there for sit-n-spin.No turny play,no pro tour,no operators to handle question problems.the other products just spit a blob of plastic into a form.Guess I am going all Norman Rockwell on this Oh well I guess I'LL just use my be a jerk card on this and spin the wheel.