for the first time I really wonder If magic will die

S

sageridder

This one actually worries me,because people like this have no love for it.Just profit and loss,speak and spell is in sit and spin is out.Next mtg um oh yea that thing we got with pokecrap well the numbers are down lose it.I know it's more complicated than that but I felt more comfortable with someone who plays in the driver's seat.I truly hope I'm just doing a chicken little impression one this one. http://www.mtgnews.com/story/636/1/1/1/

G

Gerode

I saw that too, and also worried. I never felt the acquisition by Hasbro would be positive for WotC, for the same reason sage said.
Brace yourself, just in case WotC starts to go down with the Pokefad ship.

Killer Joe

Well, I wouldn't sweat it. At worst, Wiz Co. gets liquidated and the rights to manufacture MTG is up for sale. You know someone will buy it and if not, the game has enough of a life to carry on for years.
I won't stop playing it just because there are no more expansions, heck, I might even get caught in my collection.

Man, does this statement make me a pragmatist or what!? I'm getting old......

R

Riva Iron-Grip

dude, there is no more magic after these last 3 sets. i read it on an interview with wiz co. and richard garfield. it will suck. but i will never quite playing magic. it's too damn fun. and it never gets old

G

Gerode

Are you sure, Riva? I thought they were just ending the current Gerrard/Volrath/etc. storyline.

U

Ura

Where did you read that Riva?
From every report I've seen, after the Invasion block they're finally getting rid of the weatherlost story line and starting something new. They already even had the next trilogy set names choosen.

L

Landkiller

There will be the Odyssey cycle after Invasion cycle.

No word on the storyline or themes for that block yet.

L

Landkiller

go to mtgnews and find out.

Magic is dead...well, some 150 WotC employees are looking for new jobs. That isn't a positive development.

C

Copious Wrath

Right. Just read that piece of news.

My only question is thus: is Magic going to die, or will it not?

I personally doubt it will. M:TG has demonstrated it's staying power over the past decade or so. Even if Wizards goes down like the Titanic, Magic will probably still stay around. Why? Because of dedicated fans. Whether or not the license to Magic gets snapped up by another company, us gamers will still keep Magic around.

And if Wizards goes bankrupt, and the Magic license disappears... well, that means boxes of boosters will get cheap fairly quickly. =)

B

Baskil

Keep in mind folks, that this is only a *rumor* at this point. We'll find out tommorow if there's any bad news (if there is, Hasbro will probably give a press release).

C

Cateran Emperor

Aye, Hasbro will have to give a press release if this is true (please let it not be)

If this is all true, I think the CPA has a purpose once again. We defeated the rot that had plagued our game, then we seemed lost for a while to some members with no clear objective. Now Magic is threatened once again. I don't know about the rest of you, but I for one will not stand by and let Magic die!

We'll just have to wait for a short while to see if we need sound the call to arms once more...

C

Copious Wrath

Cateran Emperor, I think I can speak for all of us Magic players in the WHS game club when I say that we stand beside you, and, if need be, we will do anything we can to help out.

Z

Zadok001

I think I speak for the entirety of the CPA when I say we're in. I don't believe this rumor, but I'm ready to do anything if it's true.

G

Gizmo

Don`t be stupid. Magic sales are steady, it`s Pokemon sales that have slumped and so that`s where the cutbacks will be. Think Pokemon, think Fallen Empires, think horrendous overprinting, think joblosses.
Magic is a steady product and so is D&D.

L

Landkiller

I don't know...but WotC laying anyone off is a bad sign, right? We'll find out sooner or later.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I agree that it's pokemon that's going down. Here's my reasoning.

POKEMON, the show, is dropping drastically in ratings because, let's face it, anime isn't as hot as it has been for the past 2 years. Even my favorite DBZ, despite that my favotire saga is currently airing, is dropping in ratings as well. And I can tell you why. These shows are dragging too long. In Japan, these still might be the hottest shows around, but here in America, we have short patience and attention spans. We also like to adjust to new things, it's makes life interesting. So, pokemon, like Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers, are suffering from post-fame downfall. Therefore, merchandising must also be cut. And that includes the card game, since half of these kids couldn't even learn how to play the game, they just liked the cards.

Wow, a rational explanation from ME? I must be slipping.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Z

Zero

Dont worry-just think of economics.

If a product is giving you a large, steady income, you do not get rid of it.

This applies to D&D and MTG

(Yes gizmo, I know I basically just re-stated what you said, sorry;) )

A

Aku Necromancer

well, now that Mr. Adkinson left Hasbro, one has to wonder what the future holds for MTG. Although I think itll survive. MTG has proven that its a worthy and probably the best ccg on the market today.