For all the multicolor decks... more duals...

T

train

The only thing that wouldn't convert to an electronic pulse is my oink...

"there's nothing that can help it...":eek: :p

N

NorrYtt

The Ice Age depletion lands are fetid steaming piles of dung. Just forget them.

If you require more counter production, play 4 Mirrodin's Core. If you still need more, they get much worse, but you can try the underpowered storage lands from Mercadian Masques (Subterrainean Hangar?), which are powered up versions of the Fallen Empires storage lands (Bottomless Vault?).

If you need even more, play Seedborn Muse with all of these.

T

train

Well - the idea was to have a dual mana producing land - and remove the counters so I could use it every turn, and beef something else up...;)

N

Notepad

If all you want is automatic counter generation, won't CU counters work just as well? Plenty of them that are good and powerful.

In case you can't, Ebon Praetor is always a blast! :D Can't go wrong with an evil rabbit in hell in the artwork. ;)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It's not evil...

It would just prefer that the stupid thrull is sacrificed to the Praetor than itself...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Rooser
But...but....this is the CPA - clearly our playgroups can transcend a little dorky errata. Why do we have to honor the errata if we'd rather use the conduit for tricks?
I guess the problem I see is that "you guys" are not being consistent. You're willing to use the cumulative upkeep counters which is basically errata there but not the depletion lands errata since they lose them. It's the same argument I used with Waylay way back when: no one wanted to use it pre-6th when it "sucked" but boy, find a loophole and everyone's on it. Then try to get it errata'd so it behaved the way it did pre-6th and you get groans and moans :)

Anyway, I think by picking and choosing which errata and rules you want to follow and which ones you don't, you end up with lots of confusion and the old cliche about cake :)

T

train

What I'm looking at is actual inconsistency though - I'm not being anti-errata... I'm being anti-errata for depletion counters... Other lands use different counters - storage for example, and these seem to have been errataed to match the tempest lands - if so, why make lands that use counters later on?... Depletion counter even sounds good for something that runs out of them - like Gemstone Mine...

"Mines get depleted all the time...":cool:

People always forgot about the tempest land restriction, and would accidentally untap it... Depletion counters would have stopped that...;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Since WOTC is "getting a better handle" on things :) now than earlier years, I would go by what they are trying to do now. So if later versions of whatever lands don't use counters, I would try to match them instead of the other way around.

Is the land really "depleting" or just not untapping? I agree about the Gemstone Mine example or Fallen Empires-type storage counters.

T

train

Here's a more recent example - with depletion counters... It could match the mine...

Peat Bog
Color= Land Type= Land Cost= None MM(C)
Text (MM+errata): ~this~ comes into play tapped with two depletion counters on it. ; {Tap},Remove a depletion counter from ~this~: Add {B}{B} to your mana pool. If there are no depletion counters on ~this~, sacrifice it. [Oracle 2003/07/01]

granted since the ice age lands are not depleting, and they are just "not untapping" they could use a dirfferent wording - but something needs to mark them somehow... time counters maybe?...

I'll state ahead of time, "comes into play tapped" shouldn't have any counters... (for sake of invasion lands... and others...)

The masques lands institute both actually...:eek: :cool:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
What, like a "no untap" counter or something? ;)

Yeah, I'm looking at Mogg Hollows from Tempest

Add R or G to your mana pool. Mogg Hollows doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
So it doesn't use counters so Ice Age was probably just errata'd so it's consistent. It's really the whole "not untapping next turn" thing, with creatures and stuff. You don't have counters to mark them either...

T

train

I understand the not untapping bit - but to make it more uniform to start with - they could have made the tempest lands "depletion" lands...

I'm glad things are more uniform now - but that would have made sense then...:cool:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I agree, but like I said, Ice Age was way back when Magic was first designed, if not soon after Alpha/Beta, depending on specific cards. I don't think they had things down yet.

Should that have made the Tempest lands to match Ice Age lands? Perhaps - maybe you can Ask Aaron Forsythe the questions since he has access to the developers file ;) I'm guessing by Tempest, they figured they either had too many counters (at some point they just wanted +1/+1 counters only, maybe it was during here) or figured this was an inappropriate place to use a counter - people could remember not to untap it :)

T

train

I think a goo ol' visit from me to WoTC headquarters will straighten everything out just fine...;)

T

train

If you got size, martial arts and firearm training, and a pair of Texas cajones - you might as well use it all right?!...

;) :D