Flute what?

N

Nightstalkers

what is the point of such cards as that apocalypse flute or what not? you know:

tap: Sacrifice [this], destroy everything from homelands expansion.

its rediculous. why can't there be something to change that into some other set? how can this be used? why do we have none?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure why the creator's made it, but Mark Rosewater said those types of cards (that destroy an expansion) were a mistake and won't be done again. Which is probably why nothing has been made to be able to change it to another expansion, ala Magical Hack or something.

W

WickedBoy6

Actually, one time I used an Apocalypse Chime for no reason in a game a LONG time ago, and it helped me win, as it prevented my opponent from using Baron Sengir, a card that would tear my weeniedeck up. Once he'd drop It, I'd Chime it away. Sometimes, these cards can work in mysterious ways.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's a real hoser if you're playing Homelands as part of a block constructed/draft/whatever :p

T

train

and if you're playing homelands draft - you've got problems...:p

Ferret

Staff member
Don't knock Homelands! It's the only set to have a card that says "Summon Ferrets" on it!

-Ferret

"...and Autumn Willow - don't forget Autumn Willow!"

B

bryson430

If only it was "Destroy all cards from the Homelands expansion...no really, tear them up, burn them and flush them."

Castle Sengir, my a**e....

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not knocking it, I think it was a decent expansion. There were hardly any power cards to use in tourneys which is why I think most people dismiss it.

N

Nightstalkers

It just seems that in the beginning WotC had more imagination than they do now. Bring on the Sengir Vamp. again and we will have a new set! Wow, the unoriginality of it all.

Ferret

Staff member
It was almost a Tribal set - although, the tribes they chose were kind of under-developed and needed help from cards from other expansions to make it work. Most colours were left out in the cold - except for black and green....

-Ferret

"Imagine: a deck filled w/ Vampire Legends"

T

train

I personally think there are a lot of usefule things in homelands... for casual play - it beats out antiquities and dark...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking at what few Dark cards I have and can see using some in a casual deck. I think because a lot do damage to yourself that people are less inclined to use them, that's all.

Ferret

Staff member
The Dark did have a lot of cards that were pretty unplayable, but they had a few that could really make a huge difference in play.

Take Maze of Ith, for example: you could use it to turn away some of your biggest problems, React to an oponent's Giant Growth, or use it to have your Bassilisk do nasty things to people...

...but other than that, The Dark was pretty empty on the good cards.

-Ferret

"Except for Sorrow's Path - everyone loves that!"

N

Nightstalkers

now if only they would remake them... what a world it is where WotC doesn't have a sense of humor

N

Notepad

It was just one of the themes back then, Nightstalkers. Not exactly a good one, but sort of fun. No purpose needed, sort of like the color laces. They were there simply to be there, though I guess the laces had a little more use than the chime.

I actually remember such dumb quotes from fellow players as:

"If I get both elemental blasts in a deck, and chaoslace and thoughlace, I'll have a red-blue deck that can counter or destroy ANYTHING!!!"

Wow, card disadvantage to do what the two colors pretty much do anyway.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, if you work at making a casual deck, you can probably make any card work, especially since there's been tons of expansions out since The Dark.

Take Wormwood Treefolk or whatever deals you 2 pts of damage when you give it forest or swampwalk. You could use Pariah on some other creature (or itself) to get around the 2 pts of damage (aside from CoPs), use Blanket of Night to give everyone swamps, use Blue to turn land into forests or Gaea's Liege... any of The Dark's cards are usuable. Like I said with Homelands however, it didn't have a lot of tourney cards so people seem to automatically dismiss the set.

N

Notepad

any of The Dark's cards are usuable
Red flag there, Spidey, as Sorrow's Path was part of The Dark. ;) :D ;)

Personally, my favorite bad land/bad cards combo is:

Guantlets of Might + Desert + Desert Nomads.

Retarded, but I'm dealing 2 free damage to you every turn, plus I just scored a good land of yours for my useless Desert. HAH! And all it cost me was 10 mana and a card. DOUBLE HA-- wait, huh?
Yes, I actually do play this combo. :D

Better than Sorrow's Path, though. Beat that, Spidey. :D

T

train

Island of Wak-Wak and flying carpet...

So I pay 4 to put the carpet out,
Then I pay 2 mana to make your creature a flyer when attacking,
And use a land to just make it stare at me...

;)

N

Nightstalkers

never really thought about using a regen. critter with periah... always figured I'd go with my protection everything deck, and use a creature with protection from that source. Wait, it deal's damage or does it redirect??? *Grumble* wheres that short guy.