February MML Game

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Killer Joe said:
Of course, but we don't "make" the game theme, we vote on it. Also, several of our 'new' players are Combo players so there's that, too. :rolleyes:
Just like we didn't "make" GW Bush president, eh?

All I'm saying is if you play with fire, you might get burned. And 40-card decks are like kerosene. Keep them away from open flames. Also, keep them away from your multiplayer games.

You could play some sort of Stax variant or something. That could be resistant to combos in multiplayer, to a point at least...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Oversoul said:
All I'm saying is if you play with fire, you might get burned. And 40-card decks are like kerosene. Keep them away from open flames.

What if I main-deck COP: red?

Ransac, cpa trash man

Killer Joe

There's a Green/White Bush deck? KEWL! :p

I voted for Peasant Magic, as I always do, and that's a good indicator to the others what NOT to vote for :rolleyes:

As for "metagaming" that is highly discouraged as it means you are targeting a specific person and/or deck (that's not the same as anyone just playing a combo deck). But really, the "spirit" of the game lies in what each player prefers to play, for me, control, for others, creature decks. Combo players are quite new to our circle but they should not be penalized and/or targeted because they do play combo decks. Weird, huh? But that's the code.

The other thing is that there are many who now are playing combo so it's nigh impossible for one player to CONTROL all the combo decks and that job would be left up to me. I'd rather just play my land and get killed on turn two than to totally dedicate my deck to anti-combo and I know the other players won't want to play anti-combo either. Our strategy has to rely on the combo players not getting a good draw but by turn "7" the extra card draw effect kicks in and then it's over for us anyhow.

The member who is now the Chairsperson for the MML wanted to BANN combo decks and I fought hard not to let that happen even though I don't much care for combo decks now. His reasoning was this:

"There are some of us who work really hard all month to get a good deck built only to be knocked out on turn two and that's not fair."

Not a good argument if you ask me. However, I mentioned this as a half-hearted alternative; only one player may be eliminated from the game per turn.

That's worse than banning combo decks so I withdrew the suggestion. :eek:

Nope, we'll have to deal with it as one person once wrote on these boards:

This too shall pass

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know, if everyone gets eliminated before turn 7, that doesn't help... :)

But hey, it's your group :)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I'd play the anti-combo deck anyhow and then maybe the non-combo players would learn to protect you.....

Killer Joe

Okay, I'll build one for March, here's what I was thinking: Hard Lock

I'll back everything up with Force of Will

Turn 1:Chrome Mox/Lotus Petal, Island, Erayo, Soratami Ascendant.
Turn 2: Chrome Mox/Lotus Petal, Sol Ring, Island, a one mana spell, Arcane Laboratory.

~LOCK~

Erayo, Soratami Ascendant 1U
1/1 Flying
Whenever the fourth spell of a turn is played, flip Erayo, Soratami Ascendant.
---flip side---
Erayo's Essence
Legendary Enchantment
Counter the first spell played by each opponent each turn.

Arcane Laboratory 2U
Enchantment
Each player can't play more than one spell each turn.

Think I'll get their attention? :eek:

Killer Joe

4 Chrome Mox
4 Lotus Petal
3 Rule of Law
3 Arcane Laboratory
4 Erayo, Soratami Ascendant
4 Sol Ring
4 Force of Will
4 Force Spike
4 Whispers of the Muse
1 Rod of Ruin
1 Thran Foundry

4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Flooded Strand
4 Adarkar Wastes
4 Tundra
4 Plains
4 Islands

Win condition: Rod of Ruin :D :D :D

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Trickbind is really good for anti combo

Trickbind Instant 1U Time Spiral (Rare)
Split second (As long as this spell is on the stack, players can't play spells or activated abilities that aren't mana abilities.)
Counter target activated or triggered ability. If a permanent's ability is countered this way, activated abilities of that permanent can't be played this turn. (Mana abilities can't be targeted.)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Killer Joe said:
4 Chrome Mox
4 Lotus Petal
3 Rule of Law
3 Arcane Laboratory
4 Erayo, Soratami Ascendant
4 Sol Ring
4 Force of Will
4 Force Spike
4 Whispers of the Muse
1 Rod of Ruin
1 Thran Foundry

4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Flooded Strand
4 Adarkar Wastes
4 Tundra
4 Plains
4 Islands

Win condition: Rod of Ruin :D :D :D
That's what I'm talking about. It's not "anti-combo." It's just fast enough to shut everyone down, including the combo players. You obviously can't counterspell everything by yourself, but a control (or prison) deck with good, proactive disruption can at least give the combo players a run for their money.

Being a combo-lover myself, I tend to agree with your sentiment, but multiple players running fast combo decks in disruption-poor field will get very repetitive unless something changes. The easiest change is more disruption that can stop combo decks.

D

DarthFerret

If you have that much mana acceleration, and that quick a lockdown, do ya really want the Force Spikes? Wouldn't Mana Leak be more advantageous. Also, yes, if you can add the tutor!