Favorite Type 2 Grizzly Bear

My favorite standard grizzly creature is...

• Fresh Volunteers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Knight Errant

• Longbow Archer

• Steadfast Guard

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Cloudskate

• Lord of Atlantis

• Sapphire Leech

• Foul Imp

• Spineless Thug

• Whipstitched Zombie

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Goblin Elite Infantry

• Goblin Raider

• Mogg Jailer

• Mogg Toady

• Ruby Leech

• Deepwood Elder

• Grizzly Bears

• Nomadic Elf

• Kavu Titan

• Vintara Snapper

• Galina's Knight

• Llanowar Knight

• Meddling Mage

• Shivan Zombie

• Vodalian Zombie

• Yavimaya Barbarian

• Total voters
W

Will, the Serra Avatar

I voted for the Steadfast Guard for its ability to be recruited from the library, but I would've also picked Fresh Volunteers (recruitable), Kavu Titan (HULK SMASH!), and Meddling Mage (For the last time, NO!).

S

Sammy Dead-O

Cool...the poll is great now. Thanks!

What is a bear? Maybe this should be a whole other discussion. I see both sides; maybe I just don't like the restrictive nature of defining a grizzly as a vanilla 2/2 for a colored and a colorless.

I suppose it isn't really a question that has an answer since people use it in both senses. In support of the any 2/2 for 2 = grizzly bear viewpoint, though, we should consider that the bear designation could be seen as a tribute to a card's mana efficiency as much as an indication of its being identical to the original bears. A bear beats down nicely; we can modify the description however we want by adding "with a big drawback" or "that isn't very splashable" or "with an excellent defensive ability" or whatever.

EDIT: Oh yeah...and what the heck? Spineless Thug is tied for the lead? Incredible...

D

Duel

Nope, disagree. Morphling is mana efficient, but not a bear. Spiritmonger is Mana efficient (Is it ever!) but not a bear. A bear is a card that costs 2 and has 2/2 for power/toughness. The rest of the features are debatable. They were named so because there are, according to one dude I once read, 3 creatures. hill giants, gray ogres, and Bears.

Besides, the original bears didn't have a drawback, were moderately splashable, and had no special defensive ability. They were vanilla, but it's successors weren't.

S

Sammy Dead-O

I think you misunderstood a bit...or, more specifically, that I didn't get my idea across very well. Obviously, the term comes from the original Grizzly Bears. However, saying something is a bear has connotations of low-land-count beatdown-deck efficiency (2/2 for 2, specifically); this is as opposed to Hill Giant and Gray Ogre, which basically tell us how oh-so-average the power/toughness to cost is.

I'm proposing that the term grizzly bear is a tribute to the original bears' low-curve efficiency. (If I could word my damn idea correctly, I could probably get someone to agree with me.;)) If we keep this in mind, it lends a bit more freedom to the use of the term.

Now...off to get some Goblin Legionnaires...:D

D

Duel

I caught what you meant, but I don't think I was clear. Trained Armadon isn't a girzzly bear either. Or Mogg Fanatic/Rogue Elephant. Bears must fill the 2 slot, but I see your argument about power/toughness. Muscle Sliver, for instance, is only a 1/1, so it, technically, isn't a bear (the fact that it might as well be a 2/2 is seperate). River Boa is also excluded, even though it's a better-than-bear in my opinion.