Fantasy Football 2018

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Rumors of mine aren't...The next couple weeks are going to be brutal for me...:mad:

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
And so, just as when Icarus flew too close to the Sun, I too am brought crashing back down to earth and have succumbed to a horrifying weekend in Fantasy Football. I am in 4 different leagues, in which I had been riding 5-6 game winning streaks in three of them. I have lost and lost bad in all four leagues this weekend. In our humble league, I put up the lowest weekly score of the entire season and lost to the 8th ranked Takklemaggots (who had 4 players either on bye or just score zero).

Just wanted to share the horribleness of this loss.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Dude, I was only four points ahead of you and Inaction in Action was three points ahead of me. It was a bad week for several of us (and outstanding for others....)

Ferret

Staff member
This sounds neat - unfortunately, I'm not a fan of the kNeeling Felons League these days...

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
We've had it going for a quite a few seasons now, political statements not withstanding. It's really the only reason I have personally for trying to keep up with the players in the league that aren't on my team.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Um, yeah. That's a WHOLE can of worms that can be discussed in the Current Events forum (and for the record, I totally disagree with that generalization).

As TomB says, this has been going on almost as long as the CPA itself (2002?) and keeps my competitive interest alive as I don't root for any on NFL team anyway.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
We are heading down the stretch and a few things are clear regarding the playoffs:

Silmarils has clinched yet another playoff spot.
Assuming Golden Tate doesn't catch 350 yards and 5-6 TDs, I will also clinch a playoff spot.
With The Takklemaggots victory this week, Dwarven Miners have been eliminated from playoff contention.

Tonight's Eagles/Skins game has a couple of implications:
If Moosejaw Charge wins (meaning Zach Ertz gives him the edge over Carson Wentz and the Philly Defense), then Moosejaw charge SHOULD clinch a playoff spot (since Dread Reapers has lost and Inaction is unlikely to come back tonight).
HOWEVER, in the event that this comeback does not occur and the games results play out as expected, we will have these standings:

1. Silmarils * 10-3
2. Ransac's Maniacs* 9-4
3. Moosejaw_Charge 7-6
4. Dread Reapers 6-7
5. Inaction in Action 6-7
6. The Takklemaggots 5-8
7. TomBStoners 5-8
8. Dwarven Miners 4-9

Next week's games are as follows:

Maniacs vs Charge
Miners vs. TomBStoners
Dread Reapers vs Takklemaggots
Inaction in Action vs Silmarils

Mathematically, Takklemaggots and TomBStoners are not yet eliminated from the playoffs, as they can potentially finish 6-8 and tie the Reapers and Action should they both lose; however, they are both significantly behind in the points tiebreaker (400-500 points behind in tiebreakers) that this scenario seems improbable. Still, there is technically hope for turgy22 and TomB.

Realistically, the last two spots are up to Inaction in Action, Dread Reapers and Moosejaw Charge. Mooseman has a clear path: Win and you're in the playoffs. Even if you lose, you are enough ahead of Inaction in the points tiebreaker (250-280 points by the end of tonight) that you should be safe anyways, but there is still a chance you're not.

That puts the pressure on Dread Reapers and Inaction in Action. Dread Reapers will have about a 170 points tiebreaker advantage after tonight, but we've certainly seen huge and minuscule points totals this year and it's not out of the question that (even if you both win or both lose) the points could flip the advantage. The onus is on Inaction to make some noise this week, but can still take a playoff spot if he upsets Silmarils and Dread Reapers is knocked off by the Takklemaggots.

Getting time for the writeups again. Y'all excited for some playoffs?!

Ransac, cpa trash man

Edit: Holy crap, Ferret has returned!?!?!? We need to jump you in next year!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I love these!

I think this may be the first where a team with a losing record gets into the playoffs.

I've had such a disappointing season... :(

Melkor

Very excited for the write ups. Less excited for my teams inevitable chokejob in the playoffs.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
With a decisive win the Charge and the Maniacs go at it 2 weeks in a row for round 1 of the playoffs.
Monkey poo to you......

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Not to be a downer, but there was a lot of bad play at the bottom of the bracket this year. I mean yuck, guys

The Golden Toilet- #8 Dwarven Miners vs. #6 TomBStoners: Honestly, guys: what the hell? Spidey has been absolutely pitiful this season. Oh, for sure, it looked like he still had a chance after Week 9, when he pulled out of a 2-5 pit to reach 4-5, a stone’s throw from making a run for the playoffs. But, no….. Spidey decided that November and December was the perfect time to underperform, failing to reach 270 points the final six games. What’s worse, HE ENDED UP MAKING TOMBSTONERS LOOK GOOD! The same TomBStoners who started the season 2-9, only to way the final 3 games of the season to spoil his colleagues fun. Oh, and out of those 5 total wins, TWO OF THEM WERE CLOSE AND PITIFUL WINS AGAINST THE MINERS!!! Ugh… this game makes me sad every year. Spidey has 4 all time championship and TomB has 2 in the past decade. Back in 2009, these two met for the championship; now, they’ll meet for the right to not be the worst of the year. Wait, what? Analysis? Actually looking at the matchup? I guess, if you really want it. Spidey’s team has a few interesting matchups: Brady at buffalo has a chance to be not as big as one would think due to the Bills very good defense, Watson may end up in a shoot out against Philly’s own Saint Nick Foles, Pettis may be the primary option against the Bears tough defense (who may try to lock down Kittle from doing anything crazy) and Lindsay (who may be most unsung breakout in recent memory) may feast on the meager Raiders. Also, keep an eye on Robert Woods in AZ. TomB’s team starts off exciting with Lamar Jackson, but the rest of the team feels rather tepid (especially if he doesn’t replace Aaron Jones by Sunday. Assuming he throws Gordon in his place, this matchup has an 18-point difference in Spidey’s favorite (as of this writing). I don’t see many places on Tomb’s lineup where you can get a huge breakout. Maybe Vance if he catches a couple TDS or if Diggs streaks off another long TD, but that’s what I see. I’m disgusted to even consider this as a pick, but since I can’t pick both of you to lose….
WINNER: Dwarven Miners

The “Byes, Byes, Byes” Trophy - #5 Inaction in Action vs. #7 The Takklemaggots: The biggest accomplishment these two teams achieved this year was not losing last week and avoiding the last place matchup. I may have actually thrown up a little seeing how many bye week players these two combined to start. Rokapoke started off with promise, running off to a 4-0 start, only to win 2 games the entire rest of the season. AND HE LOOKED GOOD! 322, 362, 336, 370 points scored in that first month. HE BEAT THREE 300 POINT OPPONENTS!!!!! AND THEN….. and then…. and then he left bye week players in his starting lineup. WHY WHY WHY?!!??! You finished 1 game out of the playoffs mainly due to not updating your lineup. You easily could have score another 300-400 points off those missing spots and won 1 more game. But, this Inaction allowed Dread Reapers into the playoffs as the 4th seed. This allowed Dread Reapers the ability to upset top-seeded Silmarils. This has allowed Dread Reapers to go into the weekend as a 12 point favorite to win the title. Inaction in Action is on full display this year more than ever and may be the single most important catalyst to the result of this season. As for turgy? I’ve been shocked that his team didn’t carry him better, or at least I would have been had his bye trend not been nearly as egregious as rokapoke. The scoring totals were up and down all year, but nothing out of the ordinary and certainly could have been better with more consistent play. I mean, I ripped Spidey a new one in his match, but he at least worked to start players. *le sigh* But, I digress. This matchup is actually interesting. Both players are starting an IR player as of now, but that may just be poetic to represent their seasons. But, outside of that, this matchup has stars EVERYWHERE! Rivers, Mahomes, Hopkins, Hilton, Zeke, and (maybe) Carson ALL ON TAKKLEMAGGOTS!!!! I’d give that the automatic win on a normal week and here two, if I didn’t see Stafford, Cousins, Julio, Michael Thomas, Thielen and Gurley looking equally as monstrous. YEESH!!!!! These teams had so much potential. Begrudgingly, I am thoroughly interested in this matchup. And, to buck Yahoo’s prediction, I see too much skill position explosiveness on the underdog’s side and brashly chose…
WINNER: Inaction in Action

The “Horseshoes, Hand Grenades and Nuclear Bombs” 3rd Place Trophy - #2 Ransac’s Maniacs vs. #1 Silmarils: What happened to us, Melkor? Seriously? I mean, you and I were tearing through the entire league and setting up the hilarious obvious conclusion of us vying for the title for the third straight year and the 4 time in 5 years. We were both soooooooo close….. except we weren’t. I got manhandled by Mooseman each of the past two weeks, and your team decided that last week would be the perfect time to collectively sh!t the bed. You went from 400+ points one week to under 250 the next. That’s some bad mojo. Your Dak/Amari combo was doing AMAZING things when the two of them were in sync and got punked by the Darius Leonard led Colts. Not to mention Gronk deciding not to really even show up. I really can’t speak either, though. My smart self decided that I could try to win without even putting Justin Jackson in my lineup until it was too late to actually do so. I still would have lost, but I let Thursday creep up on me and rob me of a chance to save face as least. But no…. such is our lot, it seems. How many times are we to meet in week 16, Melkor? Hmm? Maniacs vs Silmarils to close the season? This is the 5th time in 6 years we face each other in the last week. Are we copying off each other’s notes? Are our coaches leaking plays strategies to the other in a effort to keep this constant narrative afloat? Alas, it matters not, for all that glitters is gold and that gold either lies for Dread Reapers/Moosejaw_Charge or the bottom of the bottomest toilet. How do we project? OH! You have me beat. My bench is riddled with so many injured half backs that we are contemplating naming our half back locker room after Reggie “Mr. Oft-Injured” Bush. Oh sure, perhaps Wilson can pull out some magic to lift me up and maybe Mayfield will continue to look great. And maybe my fleecing the system of being able to put a HB in as a TE will finally pay off. But you got Saquan and McCaffrey, Luck and Dak, Antonio, Evans and Amari. I mean, come on. This should have been your season, but it slipped up by one week. You’ll probably get me this year…. just like every year we meet and it’s not for the title. ;p
WINNER: Silmarils.

The Rupert Dillinger Blakeley CPA FFL Trophy - #4 Dread Reapers vs. #3 Moosejaw_Charge: “If you gave me a chance I would take it. It’s a shot in the dark but I’ll make it.” I had Clean Bandit in my mind all day thinking about this matchup, thinking about Dread Reapers and his shot this weekend. His record indicates that he kind of backed into the playoffs, securing his spot with a win in the final week after losing two straight. However, looking at the broader picture, DR has scored 290+ 4 out of the past 7 weeks and is projected to do so once again. Meanwhile, Marty Mooseman have actually been the most impressive non-Silmarils team this entire season with his consistency, having score less than 265 points only once all season. THINK ABOUT THAT!!!!!! Only once did his team have an off week. AND, 9 TIMES HIS TEAM SCORED 290+!!!! These two finalists split their two regular season meetings, so it’s fitting that the projections has them as a close matchup. I’m keeping an eye on the NO/PIT game in particular this week, as Brees, Big Ben, Kamara, Ingram and JuJu are all represented amongst these two. Other potential studs include Ty-Streak Hill, Travis Kelce and David Johnson for DR and Goff, Ertz and Derrick Henry for the Charge. This one may eventually push into 350 points per team. For Mooseman, this would be his first championship since before Peyton Manning won a Super Bowl and his second overall. Dread Reapers is chasing his first title since joining the league in 2015. Who do I have? I really REALLY want to pick Dread Reapers for his being at the right place at the right time situation; it's a fun narrative and it's a great way for DR to finally properly introduce his presence to the league. But to be honest, it’s hard to pick against a team with a HB who can truck his way to a 99 yard TD…. and that HB’s owner is…
WINNER: MooseJaw_Charge
Wow! After a quick reread, there’s a lot of negativity this time around. This was a weird season overall, but still a fun one. Here’s to you Spidey! Another year where you have at least a tie for the most titles!!!! ;)

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Congrats to League Champ MOOSEMAN AND MOOSE_JAW CHARGE!!!!!!!!!

Analysis was pretty close this year! I was 13 points away from all 4 picks being right.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Great writeups!

Honestly, guys: what the hell?

Sadly, I totally agree. :( This season was a wash for me. I have no idea how I even won 4 games - I sat players who did awesome while on the bench, got several injuries and no good replacements, just average players overall. Ugh. I can't believe my players "showed up" for the last game and actually scores 300+.

and then he left bye week players in his starting lineup. WHY WHY WHY?!!??!

This should be obvious, rokapoke wasn't playing this year at all. His draft must have been awesome and carried him through those first three games but the bye and injury weeks showed that he wasn't active. Like here on the forums :(

Congrats Mooseman for the 2018 championship!