Fake Card: Vernal Gate, 0cc Mana Enchantment?

• Thread starter Force of Will Smith
  • Start date
E

evan d

Can my creatures come?

What would they be doing before that?

I think that you meant come into play

D

DarthFerret

Why not say, whenever a creature is summoned in this way, opponent gains life equal to 3 times the creatures toughness.

That way the player is not penalized when summoning creatures regularly. Only when using the mana from the enchantment.

F

Force of Will Smith

thats the thing tho.. if you can choose its broken as hell..
T1: Forest, gate,
Llanowar elf, add 4... 3 life
priest... (6 green), 3 life
wellwisher, (10 green floating), 11/11/? 33 life
krosan cloudskaper.

hmm... then again... you have the potential to lose heaping amounts of life...
hmm.. or give your opponent sick amounts of life...

maybe if i put a restriction that you have a choice, but you can only cast creature spells.. and to get rid of it.. you have to pay 6 green and sac it..
meaning youd have to play a couple to pop it anyway..

D

DarthFerret

That might work. I do not know if I could really give an opinion on how the card would actually do until i had a chance to playtest it. And i am generally a pretty opinionated person.

E

evan d

I really like the card art.

However, has a green palyer i would never ever play this card.

That is for three reasons:
I would kill my self with mana burn.
I dont want my oppont to gain life (this would be great for MultiPlayer Politicing)
I dont own Glimpse of nature(imagine a deck with all 4 cost or less green creatures, wow Brockeeness revealed(hope they dont see a wrath ever))

D

DarthFerret

Yeah, I think it could be abused with the right person, possibly, but that is not me. I am primarily a blue player, with a lot of black splashed with other colors. I do not do the typical green decks (elves, beat-down, etc....) and the ones I do use are very unorthodox, and very card specific. (I have a squirrel deck with 4 parallel evo. and 4 overruns that is pretty nasty, and i splashed some of the really cool Saproling token makers just for fun!)

Fav. Green Creature: Birds of Paradise!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Why does this cost zero? It should cost a whole lot, since getting four mana every time a creature comes into play under your control (which includes tokens, although excluding them wouldn't "fix" it) is ridiculously good. My opponent could gain infinite life. This thing gives a massive mana boost and costs no mana itself, which is perfect for combo (and combo decks can be built to kill without worrying about life totals).

D

DarthFerret

I never thought of it that way. Hmm...that card, with a Sol Ring and a Serpent generator, I could kill my opponent with poison counters in one turn....<shudder> that is Nasty!

F

Force of Will Smith

heh... whoops...
well i wanted to make this slightly more playable than carnival of souls...
but almost as bad..

something that LOOKS good.. but is in effect very restricted..
I just know that it needed to add G when a creature was played.
yep yep i know... i basically posted it with a loose fitting idea...

I did update it so creatures can't "come" hehehe.. forgot to export it tho.. :(

any ideas how i could make this work?
anything can change.. i would like to keep it at 0 or G if i absolutely have to.. and that creatures give green mana when they hit, or non token, or whatever..

D

DarthFerret

Might help if it was G to cast, and if it gave GG per creature cast, then you could have opponent gain life equal to the casting cost of creature. This way, your opponent gains life equal to the mana you spend from the card itself, and it would be a lot harder to abuse this card with infinite creature tokens or insanely large critters.

Hope that doesn't take away too much from your original idea.

F

Force of Will Smith

hmm... lets see...

T1: Forest, gate
T2: Forest, tap forest, play llanowar.. they gain 1, add 2, play priest, gain 2

nah... youd have like 15 mana for 6 life tradeoff... but maybe lessen the mana and multiple life gain... maybe 2x the casting cost... so 2 priests=8 life..
a blastoderm is 8

D

DarthFerret

Ok, might work. Until I get some of the newer cards (here in a few days I hope!) I will not know much more about the current balance of mana....

F

Force of Will Smith

OOOO!!! how about if you have a certain number of creatures you sac it...
idea being that you would no longer need it... then it would be like a one shot deal...
kinda like a creature based green ritual...

Vernal Gate G Enchantment
Whenever a non-token creature come into play under your control, add GG to your mana pool, and eacah opponent gains life equal to double the casting cost.

When you control 5 or more creatures sacrifice vernal gate.

non-token allows you not to abuse it with tokens or a beacon..
I dropped the creature spell restriction because it butts in between the part about opponents gaining life, and simply by joinging those 2 i can save 2-3 lines of text.

what do you think of that?

D

DarthFerret

Sounds a lot better to me. Might raise the creature limit a little bit, 5 might be too few. Most decks that would make use of this would have several 'weenie' critters out. might make it 10?....

E

evan d

IF this is its abilities change teh name to something like "fading gate"

Also please change it to you amy add the mana.

F

Force of Will Smith

if i make it may.. then you can abuse it.. if you have no control it'll burn you a little and you have to weigh if you wanna pay dearly for your creatures..

sorry, the name cant change... makes too much sense..

@darthferret: i think you're right, i'll change it to 7..

so its G... adds GG... double cost for life for opponent
and sac it if you control 7 or more creatures...

NICE! you guys rock!~

D

DarthFerret

No problem, glad to help, can't wait until you get some more up here!

D

DarthFerret

only problem is that you did not specify that the GG had to be used to summon creatures. Unless you have changed that.