2x Caller of the Hunt
2x kraklin
2x Deranged Hermit
2x Treetop Rangers
2x Skyshroud Archer
4x Llanowar Sentinel
4x Seeker of Skybreak
4x Llanowar Elf
4x Skyshroud Elf (replacable by any other mana producer)

Lands:
1x Pendelhaven
2x Mishra's Factory
2x Treetop Village
4x Hickory Woodlot
11x Forest

The main point of this deck is getting a lot of creatures and one or two spidersilk armors until you get an overrun and you flatten you oppenent down with beefed up elves. The main weakness of this deck is that if someone plays a wrath of god or something in the peak of your game your finished. But all around it has good defence especially against flyers which is a problem in green most of the time.

M

Multani

Tag Guard

You want flying protection?
Wing Snare and Fermerf Archers.
Wrath of God annoying?
Repopulate.
I'd also add Exploration, Vernal Bloom, and Urza's Blueprints.
Also, Urza's Incubator is good, too.

R

Riva Iron-Grip

this deck is not have, bad. but might not hold well agianst my burn deck eh? well i hope your have fun revising it alot.

N

nodnarb24

I also have a burn deck that would kick this decks butt

G

garfobo

I think u should add a little more Mana boost like Multani said, and some COat of Arms, to really pump up your elves, and not so many SPidersilk Armors, those arent very good.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Better idea:

Green (32)
- 4 Land Grant
- 4 saproling Cluster
- 4 Rancor
- 4 Llmowar elves
- 4 Llnowar Sentinel
- 4 Howling Wolf
- 4 nesting Wurm
- 4 Skyshroud sentinel
Red (6)
- 2 Squee
- 4 Citadel of Pain
Artifact (4)
- 4 Moss diamond
Land (18)
- 4 Pain land for Red and Green (Forgot name)
- 12 Forest
- 6 Mountain

I dont know- I cant think of a way to fit in overrun, lets jsut say this deck it type II then, and can easily be MBC, were it can have a better footing. anyway, your deck will thin pretty fast so you should see rancor-and then thats game. Oh, I know the skyshroud sentinels suck, but check this out

Turn two: I play sparoling cluster
Turn 3: I play sky shroud sentinel
Turn 4: I discard all 3 sentinels to make 3 1/1's. and RANCOR on all of them (I know...im reaching...)

M

Multani

Tag Guard
Splash white or blue.
White defensive wise is better.
Ivory Mask, Story Circle, Absolute Law, Warmth, Sanctimony.
Blue helps your creatures get through.
Turnabout, Twiddle, bouncers and counterspells.
Splash blue or white but not both.

G

garfobo

Casey! Thats an entirely different deck! But it is better! Oh well, good luck thats my input for this post!

A

Apollo

Rancor: that's a completely different deck. He wanted help on his, not an entirely new one.

Multani: Wing Snare and Femeref Archers aren't any good. And the problem with Wrath is that all of your creatures in play disappear. Having them in your deck (Repopulate) doesn't help because you need them in play. He still has plenty of creatures in the deck if they Wrath, he doesn't need to shuffle more in. Vernal Bloom and Exploration don't help don't help because he has plenty of mana elves and no really expensive stuff. Urza's Blueprints, well, aren't that good. With all of the Elves, if he really wanted card drawing he could play Collective Unconsious and draw 8 cards in one shot instead of paying echo and waiting 8 turns to do the same thing.

Now then, my notes: take out the Skyshroud Elves for Fyndhorn Elves. I'd lose Archers and Seekers and maybe use more Hermits and Priest of Titanias. Also consider Skyshroud Poacher, as you can search for Hermits and quickly swarm them with squirrels. You can also use fewer Spidersilks unless your group plays a ton of flyers because they really aren't that good unless you plan on seeing 3-5 flyers every game.

Apollo

F

FoundationOfRancor

haha, sorry if that seemed totally different....I was trying to follow your theme of getting alot o cretures out, and i thought the pack hunt cretures did that better..sorry.

M

Multani

Tag Guard

Apollo: I really don't like having my advice taken apart word by word. If you don't like the advice, keep YOUR mouth shut!

As a counter to Apollo: Wing Snare and Femeref Archers are good spot removal. Femeref deals 4 damage. Not all flyers can surrvive that. Also Hurricane could kill all flyers.
Repopulate is useful, in conjunction with massive card drawing. If your Collective Unconciousness is better than the blueprints, use the Unconsiousness instead.
As for Vernal Bloom and Exploration: Summoning Sickness and Exploration nets you an additional land each turn. Also, it take mana to summon the elves in the first place. Vernal Bloom is a mana flare for green. If you think it's not needed, replace it. Also, with all the mana producers in this deck, it seems a shame not to add some fatties.
Give it some thought. :D

I

Istanbul

Collective Unconscious and Repopulate don't work together, because there'll be no creatures after the Wrath, so you won't draw any cards.
Hurricane is better than the Archers; creatures are inherently more vulnerable, and Hurricane can push those last few points of damage through for the kill.
Vernal Bloom really isn't necessary for this deck. It has plenty of land, AND elves, AND ways to get that land out.
Exploration works nicely with Land Grant, though; put two in.
As for fatties...well, that's why ghod made Hunted Wumpus and Blastoderm. Both 4-mana drops that can be utterly overpowering.

M

manchot_13

I had a nice long deck list here before my computer crashed, but i've decided to condense it to a few key ideas:

try adding

coat of arms
recycle + quiron ranger work great.. return a forest, untap a priest, play a forest draw a card
that thingy that lets you play creature cards with casting cost 3 or less free... also works great with recylce... goodbye deck

concordent crossroads, if you have any

minimize lands as they can impeed the above combo...

just the contents of the box of soap i though i was standing on...

A

Apollo

Multani: I'm sorry if you don't like me going against what you said. He put this up because he wanted help, and if I believe your advice will hurt rather than help him, I will say so. Of course, this is my opinion. Instead of telling me not to go against your advice, you should say why you made your recommendations and let him decide who is right. If you go to CPA Issues and look at On Restriction and Banning you'll see an argument where everyone is trying to pick apart the other's argument. Everyone is very civil, and just trying to share their opinion and the reasons for it and why they disagree with the other person's. Instead of taking offense right away, you should say why you disagree with my assessment.

That said, I don't think he should use Repopulate. You don't gain any card advantage. In fact, you lose a card and don't gain any. He has tons of creatures in his deck, and none of them are essential to the deck, so it doesn't really benefit him that much, even if they do Wrath. He said in his original article that the deck did well against creatures with flying, so I don't see why you are telling him to add more defense against them. Vernal Bloom is a mana flare for green, but he has no really expensive spells and it costs one less itself than the most expensive card he has. He originally said that the point of the deck is to play tons of weenie Elves and Overrun, and you're going around telling him to add fatties, which goes against the basic premise.

Apollo

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
See, we even agree sometimes ;).

I agree with you on the rest of what you said too. I've never liked Repopulate, personally. It's only real use is in a long game, and with a weenie strategy you need to win fast. It might be OK in an Elf/Fattie deck, but in my experience all I've ever done with it is cycle it.

OTOH, the subject deck includes 2 Krakilins. Vernal Bloom and/or Exploration might help those cards come out bigger, but is that really what you want to do? I don't really think Krakilin is that strong, but in a casual type deck including 1 could be fun. I'd skip the other cards though.

The rest of the deck has a few more fatties/fattie effects (like the Citanul Flute) and a bunch of elves. It seems to me that there are better elves (like Elvish Archer, Elvish Lyrist) that could go in there, and several effects (like the Flute) that aren't really necessary. Granted, you could fish out a Sentinel with the Flute, then cast it the following turn and end up with 4, but is that really worth it? When you could be casting a Deranged Hermit, then the following turn Overrunning for a lot instead?

And, if this is a T1 deck, why don't you have a Regrowth in there? A Sol Ring? Berserk? On top of an Overrun, a Berserked elf or Squirrel might just put you over the top. And where are the Cradles? You've got 27 creatures in this deck, with the potential for many, many more, not even counting the man-lands. You gotta run 2 Cradles minimum, to take advantage of that.

Anything less would be uncivilized ;).

M

Mikeymike

Skyshroud Poacher, grab any elf you want for 3 mana.
Rofellos, Legendary Elf, tons o mana
Priest of Titania, ugly amounts of mana (think Kraklin)
Hurricane or Squallmonger, kills flyers AND damages players, kept that in mind for the finishing blow w/ all that mana you'll have.
Coat of Arms, might as well have an army of 10/10s instead of 2/2s
Dense Foliage, Sideboard card against Masticore, bounce, Direct Damage, and Terror hungry people. Works nicely in your deck b/c you have many universal effects.
If you want card drawing, run Collective Unconsiousness. If you don't have any run the old reliable Jayemdae Tome.
Manchot_13 made a good call on Aluren too, its risky but if its out the games are always interesting. Ugly if Titania's Chosen is in play.

Don't drop the Spidersilk's just cut it down to 3, they are too valuable against flyers and Masticore. If you run Rofellos, drop the Hickory Woodlots for Forests. BTW, finally someone plays with Titania's Chosen. Its a great, underrated card. Either it gets killed the turn its played or else it gets big very fast.

Also, I want to stress a paragraph by TomB (hope you don't mind)
"And, if this is a T1 deck, why don't you have a Regrowth in there? A Sol Ring? Berserk? On top of an Overrun, a Berserked elf or Squirrel might just put you over the top. And where are the Cradles? You've got 27 creatures in this deck, with the potential for many, many more, not even counting the man-lands. You gotta run 2 Cradles minimum, to take advantage of that."

I

Istanbul

Why does everyone assume that a casual deck should run things like Berserk (a $30-$40 card) and 2 Cradles ($10 apiece)? Come ON, people. I've never put a Cradle or a Berserk into a deck, and I probably never will. These are *CASUAL* decks. If you start adding in money cards, they become more powerful, but also a lot harder to make. Not so casual anymore.

Repopulate and Vernal Bloom just don't make the cut, we're all agreeing on that.
Krakilin can stay, but it needs a lot of mana to make it worth your while. Drop the Treetop Rangers and Skyshroud Archers for four Priests of Titania.
Rofellos also fits nicely into this deck. Drop two Elvish Furies and the Citanul Flute for two Rofellos (and another Overrun, to improve your chances of drawing one).
Finally...and I know Mikeymike will disagree with me on this...drop the Titania's Chosen and Callers of the Hunt. Why? Snake Basket! If you're gonna swarm, SWARM!

M

Mikeymike

You have hurt me and Titania's Favorite Child (JK). The Chosen and the Caller of the Hunt work with the Elf theme. Although I do have to admit having 20-30 snake tokens slithering around would be cool, but it steals from the theme.

I just want to say that my point of quoting TomB had more to do with his mentioning of the Sol Ring and Regrowth (which should be staple cards) although without an explanation that isn't evident. Besides that point, why shouldn't he run Cradles or Berserk. Other than casual play, name one format where you can play Beserk. Type 1, no way you'd get squashed like a bug if you're playing green.

I

Istanbul

Okayfine, leave the Chosen in, take out the Callers for two Snake Baskets. (Callers of the Hunt aren't really any more in-theme than Snake Baskets.)