Ethics of Discussion

M

mythosx

Well I say either we learn to debate properly or just go at it. Magic affords us one great attribute about settling notions of right and wrong when it comes to theory. Anything you say about the cards don't mean a thing. The cards speak for themselves. Put up or shut up. There are games running in the gaming area.

M

Mikeymike

Mr_Pestilence said:
Not to go all political on you, but this is indicative of what is happening to society at large.

People want to believe what they want to believe, and are incapable of considering the opinions of others.

About the worse thing you can call a politician these days is "moderate". The very idea of seeking common ground with people you disagree with is viewed as a sign of weakness, and won't be tolerated by your "allies".

The order of the day is to lower your shoulder, knock your opponent to the ground, and stomp him and his differing ideas into dust.

The art of debate, or even polite, genuine discussion is deader than "compassionate conservatism".
Werd!

G

Gizmo

TheCasualOblivion said:
It doesn't help either when people take the superior "holier than thou" attitude either.
This is the real problem, and it doesn't help that at least half a dozen people on here can behave like this, and there's probably many more who do it less frequently. I'm thinking here of Duke, Istanbul, TCO, myself, Ferret, and Houts.

There's too many people who confront other viewpoints with a missionary's zeal.