Eternal Snake

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
If I remember correctly, the old metagame saw turn 4 kills with no combo thanks to Fireblast and other good red cards, in Type II, just to give you an idea...

That Shrapnel Blast card thing does make for some relatively fast kills too, but Fireblast is just so crazy...

Free damage, much like other free stuff, is great fun!

T

train

turn 4 kills were common...

bolts, balls, and blasts did the trick...

It can still be done rather nicely in extended...:D

H

Homestar

thats crazy.............i thought about the possibilities of a fast T2 burn deck that got furnace of Rath out on turn 2, killed on 3 or 4.its pretty simple and im sure you guys kno it, but ill explain e way:D

Turn 1. Chrome Mox, Great Furnace
Turn 2. Mountain/Great Furnace Seething Song, Furnace Of Rath, Shock
Turn 3. Mountain/Great Furnace, Shrapnel Blast, Sac. a great furnace,
Turn 4. Mountain/Great Furnace, Fireball

that as fast as i think of..........i thought it was cool.........

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
My casual burn deck can go...

Turn 1: Mountain, Chain Lightning
Turn 2: Mountain, Chain Lightning, Lightning Bolt
Turn 3: Mountain, Lightning Bolt, Fireblast, Fork
Turn 4: There is no turn 4!

Of course, it's not common, but it's not impossible either...

T

train

yeah - It's those burn decks I don't like because of how they make my Hatred wait it's turn...;)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Hatred is insane...

I would never play it against Burn for the most part. Bringing myself down to 2 so that I can attack for the kill is not fun if the opponent has Fireblast in hand, or worse, untapped lands...

T

train

i don't "choose" to play it against burn.. I just play it, and it happens to be burn across the table... but I can usually do a good job of timing it just right...

their options become - burn the critters or burn me... usually they choose the critters because without them hatred is useless...

that's playing the deck and not the player - smart for them...;)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
If they're playing burn and they waste their spells on your creatures, what will they kill you with?

T

train

This is me - running the normal utility found in my decklists...

Cards used in hatred for utility - Zuran Orb, Simulacrum, and drain lifes, and the creatures of course...

"Never have just one kill..."

The simulacrum fits nicely on the Isochron...;)
though, so does dark ritual...

since there aren't that many creatures it comes down to the draw, but the creatures can eat away at them, and they can't afford it...

In my red black hatred - they also can't afford to let the creatures eat away at them because of the burn in my deck...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The same can happen if you have multiple kills...

It's always been more my style to have a backup plan, but the other approach I know does work for some people...

T

train

It usually works when it is a hard lock, or really fast... I've not met a deck yeet, that didn't lock (including perpetual) or run through cards quickly, that wins a lot of the time...

Even my wildcard deck finally sets into a "lock" mode...;)