Eternal Snake

R

Rooser

Here it is, my latest blue-green masterpiece. Oh yeah, also this is my first post in long time :D.

EDIT: Geez, I practically wrote an article here, didn't I? Should I submit it as such, Spidey?

Eternal Snake

Land (24)
Yavimaya Coast x4
Treetop Village x4
Forest x4
Island x12

Creatures and Threats (12)
Eternal Witness x4 <----- Fifth Dawn Alert!
Mystic Snake x4
Call of the Herd x4

Hilarity (24)
Curfew x4 <----- Look it up.
Aether Burst x4
Counterspell x4
Fact or Fiction x4
Condescend x4 <----- Fifth Dawn Alert!
Temporal Spring x4

Strategy:

This deck is extended legal. I built it for fun, but it performs so well that I'm thinking of taking it to a tournament. No ideas yet for what should go in the sideboard - (I'm open to suggestions on this one).

For those who do not immerse themselves in each new set, the new cards in this deck are Eternal Witness and Condescend.

Eternal Witness - 1GG
Creature - Human Shaman 2/1
When ~this~ comes into play, return target card in your graveyard to your hand.

Condescend - XU
Instant
Counter target spell unless its caster pays X.
Scry 2 - (Look at the top two cards of your library, put any of them on the bottom of your library, and put the rest back on top in any order).

Also I am using a lesser known card from Urza's Saga, (But one that I think is highly underrated), called Curfew.

Curfew - U
Instant
Each player chooses a creature they control and returns it to owner's hand.

Anyway, the basic strategy is to treat this deck like Aggro-Control. Try to keep their half of the board as empty as possible, but remember to play threats when appropriate and that ultimately this deck wins with superior tempo so don't be afraid to tap out and try to win.

Eternal Witness was put in here as an afterthought, but it turns out that it's what makes the deck go. Straight up it adds a lot of depth to your control structure, giving you a second use out of a counterspell, or maybe speeding you out of a hole by giving you a second go with Fact or Fiction. Where these guys really shine, however, is with the bounce spells.

An Eternal Witness and a Curfew is enough to create a recursive loop, (They bounce a creature, you get your Witness back in hand, then you recast the Witness and put the curfew back in your hand). You get the same loop, but with more control, once you come to your second Aether Burst, (Target one of their creatures and your Witness. It's the same trick, but now you can choose which of their creatures to bounce). The recursive tempo swing becomes even greater when you come to your third or fourth Burst.

Alternatively, if you have two Witnesses and your second Burst, you can return both of your Witnesses, recast them, get your Burst back, and get another card out of your graveyard too. The last of these loops does require a lot of mana, but it's an end game strategy anyway.

Here's a strategic rundown:

Early Game: Play control. Try to limit their board development as much as possible.
Mid Game: Play more aggressive. Put some threats on the board and try to look for big tempo swings. Call of the Herd and an Aether Burst followed by Mystic Snake on the next turn can spell game over.
Late Game: Play smart. If you can't finish 'em off after 10 turns, then you might want to change your strategy. It depends on the situation. You might just want to throw as many creatures at them as you can if you feel that your control elements won't be able to stop them in the long run. Conversely, if you have a steady recursion engine going then patience might be the best bet - you'll proably wear them down eventually.

Multiplayer:

A deck that plans on playing Curfew over and over again is going to be fairly solid in multiplayer most of the time, but sometimes your irritating presence can make you a target. This is a good deck for multiplayer, but not the best. If playing multiplayer, be less agressive, and remember that other control players will probably end up inadvertantly helping you out by countering the big threats and casting mass removal spells. Don't appear too threatening as this deck can easily be overwhelmed by multiple players in hurry.

Strengths and Weaknesses:

This deck is great against other agressive decks, and has the goods to deal with both combo and control. However, in the end this deck is only geared to deal with small groups of threats. If they can manage to get out a lot of creatures at once, you will probably lose. If they are running Decree of Justice or are able to resolve something like a Squirrel Nest, you are in big trouble. Also, any deck that can out counterspell you might prove to be a heavy threat, and any deck that can attack your graveyard will likely prove more dangerous than usual.

Ideas:

I'm thinking Engineered Explosives might make a good sideboard - (Being able to hit it for 0, 1, or 2 will likely be anough to deal with most weenie hordes.) Also, Gaea's Skyfolk would fit nicely in this deck, but right now I can't make room for them.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Looks cool, but I don't understand why Condescend? It's basically a Spellblast. Isn't there better countermagic in Extended?

R

Rooser

:rolleyes:

Yes ... It's basically ... spell blast?

It's basically Power Sink, with the built in Mana Short replaced by built in Scry 2.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Okay, I had the card described to me incorrectly by someone else. Sorry, I am not very familiar with newer cards...

It's still not very good, but I guess it's okay. I'd rather use Power Sink...

But what about other Extended countermagic like Mana Leak?

T

Tabasco

Don't forget that the Snake is a counterspell too!

I would sideboard the springs and maindeck Skyfolk just cause they' re so nice!! A cheap 2/2 flyer will give them more worries than you would believe.

As for the other 11 cards in the SB I don't know Washout maybe??

4 Temporal Spring
4 ???
4 ???
3 Washout

R

Reverend Love

I ran against a deck like this before...very frustrating. Try using:

Plow Under
Memory Lapse
Fallow Earth

Painfully annoying!

I would even look into splashing enough red for:

Guided Passage

An all time favorite tutor-like card of mine.

Really it's a loose/loose situation for them.

The creature options are:
Eternal Witness
Mystic Snake

:/

Noncreature nonland options are:
Call of the Herd x4
Curfew x4
Aether Burst x4
Counterspell x4
Fact or Fiction x4
Condescend x4
Temporal Spring x4

Big :/

And land cards are well...the land in your deck.

Consider it Guided Passage to read:
Target player lets your tutor for:
Mystic Snake (no way they'll grab a witness)
Condescend
Your heavy land

Good deck though Rooser. I always make a point of checking out whatever decks you post.

R

Rooser

Oversoul: It's a simple mistake, but I did go to the trouble of providing the card text for you, :D.

Hmm. It changes the play strategy slightly, but I think Tabasco might be onto something by swapping out the Springs for the Skyfolk straight up. My concern with this is that a two-drop commits me to aggressive play earlier than I would like. Turn two I'm either holding back fora counterspell, a condescend, ora n aether burst. Further- the eventual recursion engine makes temporal spring more attractive because it can be a late-game draw lock. Early in the game its still some quality tempo-stealing tech. Also, Spring is the only way I have of getting a problematic non-creature cards off the table. Hmm...

In playtesting, I've also found that running into two FoFs early can be annoying, as can running into two Calls, so it might be safe to drop down to only three each of those.

Okay, so quick poll, which configuration do you guys think I should go with?

1) 4x Call, 4x FoF, 4x Spring - (In other words, no change).
2) 3x Call, 3x FoF, 3x Spring, 3x Skyfolk
3) 3x Call, 3x FoF, 2x Spring, 4x Skyfolk

Reverend: Yeah, I've become a fan of Guided Passage, but I just took apart my URG deck to build this thing and if I splashed red my conscience just couldn't justify not running with Flametongues, Prophetics, and Fire/Ice, at which point the deck changes dramatically and the double-green on the Witnesses becomes more of a liability.

Sideboard ideas.
Okay, well the first four cards will be the leftovers from my Skyfolk reconfiguration.
Also, I do think that Engineered Explosives has the potential to be huge in this deck.
Wash Out is also a good idea.
Hidden Gibbons would probably be very solid against certain control match-ups.

So I get -
4 Skyfolk fodders
4 Hidden Gibbons
3 Engineered Explosives
3 Wash Outs

Which leaves one random card slot...

T

Tabasco

I like number 3.....

You still get the utility bounce of the spring, You get a bargin aggro creature...with flying, You still retain the FoF....love that card.....you really only need three of these anyway, and You got 3 Copies of Call of the Herd....it has flashback!

the sideboard look pretty good except if you do go with option three, your going to have

2 Springs
3 E. Explosives
3 Washout
4 Hidden Gibbons
3 Daze

the explosives in here are GREAT!!!!

0 for token horde
1 and 2 for weenie problems

I think three Daze in here would work...most of the time people will tap-out to play spells even if you are tapped out you can return and Island and the spell goes bye-bye.

Killer Joe

Tradewind Rider
Erratic Portal
Equilibrium

These make Mystic Snake/Eternal Witness come back to your hand very well.

Curfew, nice.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Rooser
Oversoul: It's a simple mistake, but I did go to the trouble of providing the card text for you, :D.
Yeah, clearly I missed that part. It would have been weird if I made the mistake AFTER seeing what the card did... :rolleyes:

Still not a fan of the card, but at least I understand your running it now. Before I was like this...

"What is going on? :eek: Why use Spellblast?"

Anyway, I think Guided Passage is a silly card. Much like Elemental Augery, it might be nice if it were not three colours...

H

Homestar

why not Counterspell instead of Condescend?? is there something im missing about these counter's with X in them?

but, thats it, cool deck man.

T

train

I'm not a fan because it's blue... but the idea runs amongst traditional blue bounce...

If you're going to have enough early control you could easily tradewind, or capsize...;)

*shudders at the thought of the trade-snake idea... because unlike most creatures, snake gets played as an instant, so with no cards in hand, you can bounce him, then play him to counter... ouch...*

T

train

HS - if you only knew all the good ideas for Blue that exist in my head...

It helps me though because my utility decks are built to stand against almost all of them...;)

H

Homestar

heh, yea i havent had any experiance with the super cheap side of blue since i started on mirrodin...i mostly get to see the cheap side of red..(i.e burn, big red etc. etc.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Train: Well of course, being the ultimate antiblue man, one would expect you to be the master of of antiblue tech.

Homestar: You think Mirrodin block has the cheap side of red? I'd rather deal with that stuff than: Lightning Bolt, Mogg Fanatic, Goblin Cadets, Jackal Pup, Fireblast, Ball Lightning, Gorilla Shaman, Rack and Ruin, Shattering Pulse, Price of Progress, Chain Lightning, Fork, Wheel of Fortune, Goblin Grenade, Flame Rift, Goblin Lackey, Hammer of Bogardan, Covetous Dragon, Seal of Fire, Sonic Burst, Keldon Champion, Goblin Welder...

T

train

Well of course, being the ultimate antiblue man, one would expect you to be the master of of antiblue tech.
Soon - You will no longer be my Padawan...

HS - There's a reason a lot of cards are not re-printed... and it's not because they'd be wasting space... As oversoul pointed out - there's much more power in the old red... the fast red...

What you see in the current block is a really simplified version of red - designed to make the games last longer...;)

H

Homestar

i gues ur right...but, ya kno, i started on mirrodin so i havent seen those old cards in action....even tho i dont need to to kno that they are cheap........