Ertai, the Corrupted card text! Dragon Lairs?????

C

Cateran Emperor

Hang on, we have some updates from MTGNews this time!

Planeshift card names

Tahngarth, Talruum Hero
Ertai, the Corrupted
Lord of the Undead
Skyship Weatherlight
Diabolical Intent
Planeswalker's Favor
Mirrorwood Treefolk
Planeswalker's Mischief
Ertai's Trickery
Silver Drake (included in IQ # 70)

Additionally, we have the official text for the former Darigaaz's Lair!

Darigaaz's Caldera
Land
~ counts as a Lair in addition to any other land types.
When ~ comes into play, return a non-Lair land you control to its owner's hand or sacrifice ~.
T: Add R, B, or G to your mana pool.

Additionally, we have Ertai's official text:

Ertai, the Corrupted
2WUB
Creature - Wizard Legend
U, sacrifice a creature or an enchantment, T: Counter target spell.
3/4

This is all a rather odd twist of events. Just how significant Lairs are I don't know, and whether Weatherlight can destroy Predator I don't know.

I do know that Planeshift's gonna be one unusual (in a cool way) set. :cool:

A

Apollo

PJ: So you did. I must have missed that. My apologies.

And that Gaea's Cradle trick is still legal, but the new text pretty much ruins it as an Undiscovered Paradise, or with Fastbond. As is, they don't seem too impressive.

I

Istanbul

E-GADS.

You think Nether-Go is strong now? Four Dromar's Lairs and two Ertais later...perpetual counterspell, anyone?

D

Duel

I like ertai... He offers me a quick weismann lock.... There are so many ways to abuse that card....

Looks like planeshift will be fun.

N

Neil Rigby

Why does the rarity of the lands seem to affect their usefulness. You all keep saying that as commons they are good as uncommons the are useful but as rares they are lame. Surely the rarity is only of relevance to their availability not their playability :p
I think the lands pretty much suck, how many people played with jungle basin and the like? Wow these don't come into play tapped, may make a bit of a difference but not loads.
Ertai in his original form was better counterspell wise but obviously power/toughness has improved. I would have liked to have seen him with a non tap ability :D with maybe a bit more mana intensive cost, something like UU2,sacrifice a creature or enchantment:counter target spell. Might be a bit to good but hey! he's three colours and a legend.

D

Duel

Rarity does affect usefullness somewhat.

Rishadan port would have been less useful as uncommons.

I LIKE these lands. They essentially act as if you simply tradeone mana for another. Plus you can, say, tap out and then play the land for an additional mana.

N

Neil Rigby

Rishadan Port would still be a pain in the ass if it was uncommon, it would just mean that more people had four of the damn things to p*** you off with.
You can tap out then play a basic land it works just the same :p.

D

DÛke

...I was really hoping that the new Ertai is B/U ONLY! I have many B/U decks I want him, but WotC had to put in some White. <sigh> He's weak! I mean, he still counters? What the ---- ! Why does he require B and/or W? JUST TO FOLLOW the story line? Whatever happened to card balance? If a card has B in it's casting cost, it better do something of THAT nature. In this Ertai, it could be the "sacrifice". The U part is the "countering"...and what is the W part? It's doesn't fit! I'm confused, sue me, or don't...whatever.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

i didn't see the new ertai text on mtgnews just the dragon lairs

C

Cateran Emperor

The only time I can think of rarity being an issue here Neil, is in Limited.

P

Purple_jester

The lands would be extremely useful in limited play. Three colors? Oh, yeah! A good draft choice, I would think? Not that I play much drafting, mind you.

The potential of Ertai with a Nether Spirit is a potentially fearsome prospect, though it would be dangerous if some spell were to get through the counters and kill both Ertai and his Nether Spirit ammo. There's a lock here somewhere, waiting to be abused... Luckily, he's a legend, three colors, and taps. Of course, for 5 mana, he's 3/4, and he's black. How much removal can off him? Mostly white, I would say, and those spells can be countered. 4 toughness... Wow. I would have been happy if he was a 3/3 or 2/4.

Now, onto the cards... The Weatherlight is now a legendary artifact! The collection value would be great regardless of the card's statistics. I hope it has some cool bounce-related text. After all, the Weatherlight is prominently featured in the art of both Capsize AND Distorting Wake.

And an Undead Lord? Are we actually going to see a card that gives Skeletons and Vampires a +1/+1 and Swampwalk? Something that would outdo the Zombie Master? Or is he going to be a legend like Baron Sengir? I think it would be a nice twist if the Lord were actually female, don't you think?

D

DÛke

And an Undead Lord? Are we actually going to see a card that gives Skeletons and Vampires a +1/+1 and Swampwalk? Something that would outdo the Zombie Master? Or is he going to be a legend like Baron Sengir? I think it would be a nice twist if the Lord were actually female, don't you think?
...yes, I agree with you. For real though, why do all "Lords" have to be males? I mean, what's wrong with a female Lord? I would luve one...especially if she was Asian. ;)

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

they have the pic of the lord of the undead on mtgnews, it is also the pic on the planeshift novel cover, it is male, whatever it is

D

Duel

Wouldn't they be ladies then?

How weak does "Goblin Queen" sound? Really!

not sexist but considering hasran ogress, would you really want to play with one?

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

He'd unfailingly regenerate, every turn, so he could tap it.

But seriously, it doesn't affect me either way, because I might not even get the card anyway.

D

Duel

Yeah. Lords are traditionally letdowns. Except for atlantis. He's cool.

I

Istanbul

Hey, don't dis Goblin King. He'll go all Mogg Bomber on yo' @ss.

Elvish Champion is groovy as well.

D

Duel

I'm sorry but atlantis is the only effective, undercosted creature of all of 'em. 2 for a 2/2? AND abilities? AND it's BLUE? Hell yeah!