Ertai, the Corrupted card text! Dragon Lairs?????

C

Cateran Emperor

He's back, and he still's a walking Counterspell!

From Mag2:

Ertai, the Corrupted
1WUB
Creature - Wizard Legend
U, Sacrifice a permanents, Tap: Counter target spell.
3/3
Illus. Mark Tedin

Now, for one of the freakiest lands I've ever seen:

Darigaaz's Lair
Land
When Draigaaz's Lair comes into play, return a land you control to its owner's hand.
T: Add R, B, or G to your mana pool.

Why's it freaky, there are a series of five of these lands (for each Dragon obviously), but they are all COMMON. Yep, COMMON. Black expansion symbols. 11/15 chance for one in a pack.

Thoughts?

A

arhar

I don't care what anyone says, those are FAKE, along with Silver Drake. Someone just had fun with Photoshop but forgot he had to make those cards rares, which they'd undoubtedly be in case they were real :)

O

Ogg

Actually, if you think about the storyline, they're quite likely to be real. And BTW, there's nothing on those signifying rarity (or is that from the site they're from?). Especially Ertai.

Oh, um, didn't read the last part of that. Well, the lands are common? *cough* *cough* *bullshit* *cough*. I find that extremely unlikely. I mean, doesn't that make the tri-lands from Invasions almost worthless?

[Edited by Ogg on 12-20-00 at 02:37 AM]

W

Whimsical

The Dragon Lairs are at the very least going to be legendary lands! And rare to boot. Anything that produces more than one type of mana is rare. Now maybe if the danged lairs were a psuedo-painland which produced 3 allied colors ... they'd still be rare. <laughs> And legendary.

If they were common ... they'd totally throw the value of Planeshift off the scale. They make the taplands of Invasion so much cardboard with pretty art. They'd make the sac-lands from the same set that much more worthless.

Rare at the very least. And legendary.

Note on the Evil Guy with the Formerly Fruit HairDo. 3/3 for 4 mana?! Okay fine. It's a really aggravating color-spread ... but still. I can just see a W/U/B Draw-Go revolving around Absorb/Undermine/Evil Ertai in the near future...

Any word on the much-ballyhooed Doomsday Specter?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Um, it isn't 11/15 chance of getting any particular common. Those are your chances of getting a common period. The chances of getting a particular common are, let's see, 143 cards in the set, 42 commons in the set. So the odds of getting any particular common is 11/42.

Whew I thought too hard about that.

As for the cards, these cards may be real, they may be fake. I don't know. And I won't know until the spoiler comes out.

As for the Doomsday specter, I wouldn't be suprised if is real, as I am anticipating it.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Z

Zadok001

Just to clear this up... Those 3 color lands are HORRID, IMHO.

Think about it. Look at the CIPT Duals in Invasion. When I draw an opening hand for my Machine Head deck, the more duals I get, the better the hand. Therefore, I play with four of the relevant ones. (I play with painlands, too, but that's another story.) The problem with the Lairs is clear - If you draw two of 'em as your mana sources, you're screwed. Draw two of them and a land, and it takes you until the FIFTH turn to get three mana. Yikes.

They'll see play, yes. But never more than one or two in a deck, simply because you can't afford to draw more than one. Btw, anyone got a link to the images for us? Where's Mag2?

U

Ura

Just an odd quirk, but if Ertai was supposedly corrupted to evil by the forces of phyrexia, then why does he have W in his casting cost?
This doesn't make any sense story line wise since he was originally just blue and getting corrupted would technically just add black as far the color tables go.
It either means that something really huge happens in the storyline that no one has noticed, (could be in the planeshift novel) or that this card is just a big FAKE.

I'll agree with miss Whimsy on the lairs though, they should be legendary and rare to boot.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

i don't trust sources that don't exist or well that the author refuses to tell you anyway, that W in Ertai's casting cost is crap, why the hell would he have white in his casting cost

T

Teferi

i remember when mtgnews got the invaison spoiler from mag2 many people doubted it, then they found out that it was 98.222333386764539% correct...

R

Riva Iron-Grip

i agree with Ura. The ertai thing is CRAP. ertai was only blue to begin with. but when he is turned to phyrexia, he is added to black. that would make him UB. but, some people think that he would defy phyrexia. but i dont think that crovax would allow that, seeing that he only needs to kill to become stronger. i think that ertai is the end or Urza Planeswalker. just my thoughts

_________
Death and Apocalypse is forshadowed

D

DÛke

...is totally FAKE. Totally. The new Ertai will have an upkeep, trust me...an upkeep with Black mana, life loss, or something of "Blackish" nature.
Oh, and why does he have "White" in his casting cost? Since when does Ertai replenish himself with White mana? What a bad lie.

Since both, the land and Ertai come from the same source, I would guess that Ertai is clearly a bootleg, so is the land. Although the land looks real, I doubt it. Ertai is fake....and coming from the same source is the land, which I guess is fake, AND by the same "author" who created the fake Ertai.

Z

Zero

Well...the ertai with the W in his cc is stupid, but understandable. If he's a legend in planeshift, he is probablly going to die. And if he's going to die, then he is probablly gonna sacrifice himself to save gerrard or something along those lines. Hence, he would turn good.

D

DÛke

...is somewhat right'bout Ertai. Supposing that the land is real, I don't think it's that powerful, heck, it's not powerful at all, it's just good!
If someone draw 2 of these in an opening hand or draws 1 and then soon draws another, then they are really screwed. I wouldn't put more than 2 or at the very maximum 3, of these in my decks. They don't develop your mana base, they just make them better: giving you more options: kind of like Brainstrom: doesn't give you cards, but it gives you options. So a common it is...
Good job Dawn...babe...

C

Chaos Turtle

They are weaker than Reflecting Pool, which was another card that was considered useless if two of them were the only lands you drew in your opening hand.

A note, though...
Assuming the posted wording is correct, (and they don't come into play tapped) you are not totally screwed, as you can play the land and tap it for mana before its triggered ability resolves.

F

FoundationOfRancor

The much esteemed Chaos Turtle is correct, they are still quite useful if they do not tap when they enter play.

As Zero pointed out, as horrendus as Corrupted Ertai casting cost is, it can make sense story-line wise.

If these lands are real, im excited.

If Ertai is real, im dissapointed.

P

Purple_jester

I guess tri-color legendary painlands was too much to hope for. Bah. The tri-lands don't totally suck, but they DO delay you more than simply coming into play tapped.

A tap-dual opening would typically be:

Round 1: Play Coastal Tower. (mana pool 0)
Round 2: Play Island. (mana pool 2)
Round 3: Play Plains. (mana pool 3)

A tri-land opening would typically be:

Round 1: Play Island. (mana pool 1)
Round 2: Play Treva's Lair. Return Island to hand. (mana pool 1)
Round 3: Play same Island. (mana pool 2)

Since you could tap the land for mana before playing the tri-land, then these lands would suit more aggressive, non-control decks. The typical mana pool of these decks over three rounds could then be 1, 2, 2. This limiting ability would prevent usage of more than 1 or 2 in a deck, and only then in a deck with either at least 22 lands or really low average cc.

UNLESS, you make a deck that's meant to abuse returning lands to your hand. For example, I might consider playing 3 of these lands in a Rising Waters deck.

Thus, my conclusion is that them being common is not too much of a far-fetched idea. At worst, they're really uncommon. As rares, they'd be dismal unless the wording were actually different.

A

Apollo

Round 1: Play Island. (mana pool 1)
Round 2: Play Treva's Lair. Return Island to hand. (mana pool 1)
Round 3: Play same Island. (mana pool 2)
Round 2, you could tap the island before playing the Lair. Then, tap the Lair and you have 2 mana available, not one.

That said, they still aren't spectacular, but they can be an Undiscovered Paradise (play it, tap it, and bounce it).

And it would be fun doing that with Fastbond. Channel:)

I

Istanbul

I think the purpose of these lands is pretty obvious: put a few into two-color decks, and play with Dragons.

Heck, it'd be worth playing with Dromar's Lair in a W/U or B/U deck, just so I could use both special abilities of my Stormscape Apprentice!

P

Purple_jester

Apollo: I know that you can tap the to-be-returned land for mana second turn to get an additional mana. I seem to have mentioned it on a lower paragraph.

"Since you could tap the land for mana before playing the tri-land, then these lands would suit more aggressive, non-control decks. The typical mana pool of these decks over three rounds could then be 1, 2, 2."

I seem to remember that tapping for mana in response to its own triggered CIP effect is illegal? Or is that nasty Gaea's Cradle trick still allowed? If it still is, then you COULD use it as a really twisted and weaker version of Undiscovered Paradise, couldn't you...

Regarding Ertai, he can't be real. That would make his ability so lousy. For 3 colors, you've got to be something close to spectacular... Stupendous even! Besides, if the ability is accurate, then the Mogg he's draining is the "sacrificed permanent." Gruesome. :eek: