Duels of the Planeswalkers for XBox, PC, and PS3

D

DarthFerret

FYI, the latest expansion for the XBOX actually fixed a lot of the problems we were having with this. They took the howling mines (and all other upkeep effects) off of the turn timer, so that now you still have your full turn, even in late game situations. The new decks they introduced are far superior to the original ones (even with the extra 3 cards you can unlock for each of the older ones). Now the only issue (and I am probably pretty much alone here) is that you still cannot edit the amount of land that is in each deck. I prefer the old style 20/40 split, and this new style of having 24 land in a 60 card deck is very frustrating to me.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I do... if you just want to play the AI and have access to "all of the cards" as opposed to whatever you bought/won/traded on MTGO... or you don't want to play some random person on MTGO but still want to play a game... I don't know if there's an adventure part like there was in the Shandalar game, but if there was, that'd be an additional draw...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think only DF has it other than you... I don't have time to play, unfortunately, that's why I play on the forums :)

D

DarthFerret

Actually, a buddy of mine locally has it on his Xbox. When he first got it, we set up an Xbox Live account for me and I got a free month of the Gold version. Well, that let me play online for a month, however, now it has been downgraded and will not let me join in an online game unless I upgrade to a gold account, and my financial situation won't allow that (also, I have a PS3 so...that is where I am sitting :))

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
There's a magic game in development for the PS3 as well :)

Duels of the Planeswalkers for the PC is dirt cheap, and MS won't rip you off for an online connection you're already paying your ISP for. Plus it runs on Steam; if it would run on a platform wizards developed themselves (like, Magic Online) I wouldn't touch it with a stick. Anyway, when I have it I'll let you guys now if it's worth the dough. Then we can still make that steamgroup ;)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I might consider getting this for the PC if it's supposedly decent.

Yes, if I were a resident of the United States or Canada (excluding Quebec).
Speaking of which (and while I'm spying on everyone's user profiles under the new design), I'm pretty sure I saw "Costa La Haya" on your profile before and probably just assumed that it was somewhere on the surface of the planet Earth, but it occurs to me now that I don't think I've seen that name before anywhere else in my entire life. So where is this place?

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
La Haya is spanish for The Hague. The Hague is a seaside city. Hence, Costa La Haya.

BTW, this game is stupid. It's OK if you have money to burn, but the deckbuilding is downright poor. You start with a deck with 60 cards, half of which are crap. You can win extra cards, and you can add these to your deck (or remove them). Land count is updated automatically, but you can't tweak the land count. All I have to say about this: pathetic. If you don't care about deck building, it's an okay game. The AI isn't even as stupid as some players you see at prereleases (although casting a creature with haste in your second main phase when I have no blockers doesn't really speak in your favor). I play magic mainly because of the deckbuilding though, and then this game sucks monkey balls. There's apparently also a puzzle section, I haven't looked at that yet.

BTW, there's a free demo. I'd check that out if you are even remotely interested and don't have issues with Steam. I've seen that this game appeals to a lot of people who used to play magic in the past. Their reasoning is that you can play magic on the cheap with this game. That's simply not true. For the same amount of money you could get the same decks on Magic Online. Magic Online doesn't have AI though.

T

theorgg

It's the 'thirty minute mystery' version of Magic. The main purpose is to tempt people who don't play into playing Magic from what I can see, since the giveaway also comes with a demo-style deck when you redeem the code.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
La Haya is spanish for The Hague. The Hague is a seaside city. Hence, Costa La Haya.
So on this English-language forum your location is listed as the Spanish name of a Dutch city, or rather part of that city? Is there a fun story behind this? If not, you should invent one.

BTW, this game is stupid. It's OK if you have money to burn, but the deckbuilding is downright poor. You start with a deck with 60 cards, half of which are crap. You can win extra cards, and you can add these to your deck (or remove them). Land count is updated automatically, but you can't tweak the land count. All I have to say about this: pathetic. If you don't care about deck building, it's an okay game.
Yeah, that sounds pretty stupid.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
There's no funny story behind it, other than that The Hague is one of the few cities with a localised name in every European language. I thought it'd be funny to show my location as if I were residing in some beach resort. In some way I am, but the water in the North Sea isn't at a comfortable temperature.

@orgg: still, isn't tweaking a deck a major part of the introduction to magic? It's a bad signal to newbies that you just add every new card to your deck.