Duels of the Planeswalkers for XBox, PC, and PS3

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oversoul said:
Do you disagree? Because for you to disagree with me and think that there is a time to cast Giant Growth on your opponent's creatures must mean that I think there is not. And I don't.
I don't understand that at all :confused:

Oversoul said:
What I was saying was so bad about this Giant Growth example is that the AI will sometimes cast Giant Growth on your creatures when it actively harms itself by doing so. That's why it was the first thing I remembered. It was memorable when it happened (and it happened several times too). I'd be attacking with some creatures, and the AI would block so as to kill one of mine, then Giant Growth, saving it and killing one or more of the blockers. This is not just a bad play. It's a play that makes no sense.
Now that's all well and good and makes the case for an improved AI, but again, as it seems to be a recurring theme in this thread, these specifics were not mentioned in the first post where you mentioned the Giant Growth example. All you said was that the computer cast Giant Growth on your creatures during combat, which could be done under any number of circumstances.

I have the original Shandalar, maybe I'll see if it works on my computer after it gets re-imaged with Vista. I just know that it didn't happen all that often, but it did happen.

Ransac said:
That's fine, because I love disagreeing with Spidey, especially over his choice of spandex when he decides to go out on the town.
You're just mad because I won't join you in wearing neon pink spandex out and about. :D

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman;287226 said:
I don't understand that at all :confused:
You said that you disagreed, then immediately explained your own thoughts, which I agree with. We can't disagree if we think the same thing. Even if you want to. Sorry. That's just how it is.

Now that's all well and good and makes the case for an improved AI, but again, as it seems to be a recurring theme in this thread, these specifics were not mentioned in the first post where you mentioned the Giant Growth example. All you said was that the computer cast Giant Growth on your creatures during combat, which could be done under any number of circumstances.
Yeah, because I wasn't writing a treatise on the subject. Why should I have?

I have the original Shandalar, maybe I'll see if it works on my computer after it gets re-imaged with Vista. I just know that it didn't happen all that often, but it did happen.
Orgg has pointed out the thing about different versions, which I hadn't thought about. From what he's said, I'm pretty sure I have the same one he does, at least as far as AI stupidity is concerned.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You said that you disagreed, then immediately explained your own thoughts, which I agree with. We can't disagree if we think the same thing. Even if you want to. Sorry. That's just how it is.
Well, I'm glad it turns out we agree, but I think this all would have gone much better if you had said in the beginning something like "I don't see why the AI casts Giant Growth on my creatures. I mean, I can see certain situations for it, but not in this case."

Yeah, because I wasn't writing a treatise on the subject. Why should I have?
Um, because yet again, I was initially replying to your statement, not apparently the specifics that were in your head when you were writing the statement.

If you just say, "The AI shouldn't be casting Giant Growth on my creatures", I will reply to you every single time, "But I can think of certain cases where the AI might want to cast it on your creatures." Plain and simple.

If you say, "The AI shouldn't be casting Giant Growth on my creatures after it blocks and make it so my creature will kill his blocking creature", I will reply, "I agree, that needed to be improved." See the difference?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman;287280 said:
Well, I'm glad it turns out we agree, but I think this all would have gone much better if you had said in the beginning something like "I don't see why the AI casts Giant Growth on my creatures. I mean, I can see certain situations for it, but not in this case."
Man, I don't think I ever talk like that. :rolleyes:

Um, because yet again, I was initially replying to your statement, not apparently the specifics that were in your head when you were writing the statement.
Didn't have any specifics in my head. Just a general impression.

If you just say, "The AI shouldn't be casting Giant Growth on my creatures", I will reply to you every single time, "But I can think of certain cases where the AI might want to cast it on your creatures." Plain and simple.
And I don't get the benefit of the doubt that I'm not talking about those cases? If it only happened when it should happen, I would hopefully not consider it a mistake, right?

If you say, "The AI shouldn't be casting Giant Growth on my creatures after it blocks and make it so my creature will kill his blocking creature", I will reply, "I agree, that needed to be improved." See the difference?
Yes. One is needlessly specific, given the context. That's the difference I see. I know how to write a scientific paper, I just don't write like that all the time. In fact, I don't know of anyone that does.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Dude, I'm not saying you should change the way you talk/write (although it apparently would help here). All I'm saying is that when you write something, my reply is based on what you write at the time, not what might be in your head and what you're thinking of when you write it. If you reply to my reply based on what you're thinking and what I'm not privy too, then we're approaching the discussion at two different angles to begin with.

Heck, even if your reply included something like, "I can see why you [Spidey] might think that, but this is the actual case I was thinking of [stating the blocking scenario], my bad/does that help in clearing things up", that would have been helpful so that this discussion didn't go over 15 or so posts needlessly.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman;287305 said:
Dude, I'm not saying you should change the way you talk/write (although it apparently would help here). All I'm saying is that when you write something, my reply is based on what you write at the time, not what might be in your head and what you're thinking of when you write it. If you reply to my reply based on what you're thinking and what I'm not privy too, then we're approaching the discussion at two different angles to begin with.

Heck, even if your reply included something like, "I can see why you [Spidey] might think that, but this is the actual case I was thinking of [stating the blocking scenario], my bad/does that help in clearing things up", that would have been helpful so that this discussion didn't go over 15 or so posts needlessly.
My reply? I mean, this all started because of post #11. Right? And that wasn't a reply to you, really, although I did echo your sentiment, pointing out the old game in the first place and the Giant Growth example in particular had nothing to do with what you said. I said it because my feeling was that Magic video games seem to have a bad track record when it comes to proper interactions. Granted, I'm going off a sample of two games, one of which I haven't actually played (now that I think about it, I once played a Playstation Magic game and I also played some game on a console where you had an avatar that could summon little dudes and cast spells and neither player's avatar could cross over a line in this arena, but I hadn't thought about those and don't remember them well anyway). But whatever. Maybe I'm wrong about that. Maybe not. But that wasn't what you addressed. What you did was jump on the Giant Growth example. Giant Growth was not my main point in post #11, and re-reading the post just confirms this, as far as I can tell. Not that you don't get to nitpick, but I'm not even sure what it is you're nitpicking here.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm glad you guys are amused :)

Oversoul said:
What you did was jump on the Giant Growth example. Giant Growth was not my main point in post #11
You're correct in noticing that that's the only part I replied to, because I didn't have anything to say/disagree with about the other part of the post (that whole list of card chain). I was just taking issue with your Giant Growth statement because based solely on that statement, the AI wasn't necessarily wacky as I could think of several examples where the AI might want to cast Giant Growth on your creatures.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
So you assumed that I couldn't tell the difference? I mean, I have played Magic before. It's not like I would be pointing out that the AI was Giant Growthing my creatures during combat if that was actually somehow beneficial to the AI rather than me. Right? I mean, I get that much credit, don't I?

T

theorgg

*hits Spiderman with a lead rabbit, then looks around for William, The CyberBacon.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oversoul: I have learned a LONG time ago not to assume ANYTHING from what someone says/writes. Just take what they say and stick to that.

Now why didn't my spider-sense warn me about that? :confused:

D

DarthFerret

ok, any idea when this is available? I will admit that this system is ultimately flawed (this is one of the things that got me back to my Magic playing) especially with the timing issue of the online play. My buddy and I have unlocked all the decks and have won almost every 2Headed Giant we have played online. The one that we lost was an issue with the gameplay itself. For your whole turn you have a timer (this is a good thing) however, the timer keeps running during some of the effects that can be responded to, and this eats into your turn so much that it causes severe problems at the end. Example, I was playing a deck that basically was designed to draw as much as possible into your hand, and was based around mirrodin. My buddy was playing a deck you out deck. Our opponents were playing the green deck and the same deck as I was. Our problem: We had 7 Howling Mines on the board. This meant that each individual mine had a response timer, and by the time all 7 of them went off, only half the amount of time was left. By this time there were a ton of creatures on the board, and the amount of time given to do your main phase, figure attacks, and figure blockers was insufficient. Especially counting all the life gain permanents on the board (which also give response timers). At one point, our opponents planned a mass attacked, even though my partner and I out creatured them. Green played an overrun, and we were worried that the timer was getting so low that we would not be able to assign blockers due to runing out of time. Then Green played another overrun, and the timer sunk to nothing before they could even declare thier attackers. Thus the reason why I do not play this much anymore. If they would address this issue, make a patch for it (and let you have a bit more control in designing your decks) I think this would be a great way for many of us to play when others are not around. As it stands now, it is a poor substitute.

As for the AI, you can set it to be smarter or dumber. On the "Planeswalker" setting, it wont play quite as stupidly (although it will still regenerate a drudge skeleton 6 times in one turn, even if it did not die)