dragonstorm

N

Nightstalkers

It sure looks like Scourge™ is gonna be the same way, eh?

S

Skyrider

maybe, maybe not. Right now Astral Slide is the king in this area. I hear U/G madness rules everywhere else. I'm still not sure what kind of effect the Scourge cards will have on tournament play.

I leave the supersick combo construction to people far more geared towards that than I. Personally, I'll stick to my rogue deck ideas that are just fun to make and play.

N

Nightstalkers

are you kidding me?!?!

I just got through a tournament against a guy that blazed through a tourney with a combo of that... Got his pants lit up when he matched against my 15 minute cleric deck (named because thats how long it took to make from my limited arsenal of type II cards)

S

Skyrider

did you play B/W clerics or straight W? I know B/W is really sick with starlit and vile deacon.

Ferret

Staff member
Well, I've been doing a little playing around w/ the Onslought Block on MTGO and it's already sick. You throw in these storm cards and things are going to get bad - quickly...

-Ferret

"Casual room? Yeah, right..."

T

train

Psychatog is still strong, Slide is doing well, and U/G Madness is still a strong deck, but I personally think slide won't win Worlds. With so much enchantment control out there, I'm surprised Slide has stayed strong.

As for Tog - it has counter for back-up as does U/G.

What's showing up now is the U/G Future sight deck. That one will be hard to beat unless you're gunning for it. The W/G utility I ran beat Tog, U/G madness, and Slide, but got trampeled by Future Sight. I got one game out of 3, when I played my deck like it was land destruction, then Biorhythm-ed for the kill. Believe it or not, Oblation would've been my only other kill card.

It was being played by a player on the tour - and I'm sure he's a lot better player than I am, but changing my deck for future sight only makes it weaker against the other 3 top decks... So I figure 3 0f 4 is good enough for me...

S

Skyrider

that's interesting. I'm more pf a casual player than a tournament player really, but the people I play with casually are tournament players. That basically means two things 1) I get shown no mercy against really sick "casual" Type 1 illegal decks and 2) I end up hearing a lot about what's getting played in tournaments at the moment.

T

train

I love to play in tourneys... I love being the spoiler... though I've only won 3 lifetime...:rolleyes:

I'm good at analyzing decks and beating them if I have the right cards(when I make an anti-"deck" deck...), but I've learned your deck just has to hold it's own at anytime against deck...

In our 1.5 tourneys, Blastoderm, Braids, and tog have become really strong... and beating down everything.

So I made a deck to beat those, and it did, got rid of the Derms with Abyssal Gatekeeper, and tog and braids with swords to plowshares and diabolic edicts...

I even got Traumatized and Haunting Echoed in one game, and still won because of Words of Wroship, and Gaea's Blessing. You should've seen the opponent's face when his traumatize resolved, and Gaea's Blessing was the last card turned over...:eek: :cool:

But the deck has gone 14-1, losing only due to not getting a 3rd land for the pernicious deed... And that was the only time I didn't stack shuffle like I normally do:rolleyes:...

Hopefully someone will want to run the deck, and split the winnings with me... now if only I can teach them to play it properly:rolleyes: ...

N

Nightstalkers

Do you really want the deck list? Its some stupid thing I just put together 15 minutes before the tournament out of my two boxes of common/uncommons and a few rares...

Traded for a few right before the tournament started....

S

Skyrider

lol, I've been thinking about making a deck-out deck with traumatize, haunting echoes, dreamborns and the rack. If for nothing else then for it to just be utterly fun. The goal would be to see how quickly I could cycle through my opponent's deck.

N

Nightstalkers

Scion of Darkness x1
Ensnaring Bridge x1
Riptide Replicator x1
Doomed Necromancer x1
Pulsemage Advocate x1
Laquatus's Champion x1
Sengir Vampire x2
Chainer's Edict x2
Plains x9
Swamp x8
Barren Moor x1
Tainted Field x3
Pacifism x2
Misery Charm x2
Cabal Archon x2
Crippling Fatigue x4
Battlefield Medic x3
Profane Prayers x2
Disciple of Malice x3
Innocent Blood x1
Hallowed Healer x2
Prismatic Strands x1
Chastise x1
Disciple of Grace x1
Doubtless One x1
Floating Shield x2
Kirtar's Desire x1
Whipgrass Entangler x1
Shieldmage Elder x1
Shade's Form x1
Daunting Defender x1
Dark Supplicant x1

Thats all....

S

Skyrider

hmm with gaea's and withered wretch if I send a gaea's to the graveyard can I, in response to the ability going on the stack, tap one mana and toss it out of the game?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You can but the ability will still happen (unless you counter it too with Stifle? the new card coming in Scourge).

K

Killerbob

Form of the Dragon:
I cant really see a deck this can fit in. This is a cc7(!) RED enchantment. For duels it is far to expensive, and for in MP someone will probably burn you for the last 5, or attack with some huge flying creature. If it was blue it was nice (but for obvious reasons it cant be blue). Maybe even if it was white. But NOT as red.

Dragonstorm:
This is interresting. I dont think the dragon/goblin deck will work, but it should be possible to make a deck with some acceleration. Mountain, lotus petal, 4x dark ritual, dragonstorm must be every little boys dream. Black is ok with dragons since they give os Bladewing the Risen (or something like that). Another possibility is to play blue. Stall the game. Get lots of lands into play. Play standard blue cantribs. Play dragonstorm. Might be even better with high tide. Hmmm...this sounds ok!

Dragonspeaker Shaman:
This is a very narrow urzas incubator, which gets killed easier. I really dont like him. But a deck with 4 incubators and 4 shamans might be possible.

Dragon Breath:
Nice card. Haste seems like a really good thing with dragons! I dont think the firebreathing is that important, but it gives the deck the right flavor. Dragons HAVE to have firebreathing! But I´m not sure, that there will be any slots for it. You need dragons + something to make them castable + utility. The deck is already crowded.

Bladewing the Risen:
Wonderful creature. But the deck have to be build around it. With animation as the startegy most probably you will not wont some of the other dragon theme cards. And you have to play black. There goes firebreathing...
But hes great. He is a Legend, and he fits my Legends deck!

T

train

Killerbob:
Form of the Dragon:
Great Points - I think it will be more of an extended enchantment myself... run with prevention and Academy Rectors...

Dragonstorm:
The Blue deck is a good possibility(because blue has control of "time", and it stinks), but blue red is not so strong in current extended, or standard play, so it may also see play in a more casual setting...

Dragonspeaker Shaman:
You're right - a big target lays on this guy's head once he hits play...

Bladewing the Risen:
He just may make it into a Balthor the defiled deck(along with that re-anime...)

You have a lot of great views - keep 'em coming...;) :D :cool:

N

NorrYtt

Dragonstorm is a complete Timmy card. It's a 9 mana Sorcery that is only good if somehow other spells get played that turn. And then it only puts Dragons into play, so you can still lose to a flurry of creature removal or a board sweeper.

Compare this to something like Biorhythm, which I've been playing in my Elf deck ever since it was printed. It's an 8 mana green un-Misdirect-able Fireball to your opponent's skull for 18 or so, then you swing with a couple Elves.

I'm afraid Dragonstorm is a little too Timmy, there are better things to play in Dragons for OnBC, like Imperial Hellkite for one. It's 3 mana to morph and 8 to flip, but you get a Dragon in the process, and it's not useless until you hit 9+ mana. I feel Dragon Roost is even a better investment.

I think OnBC is very interesting. People are playing crazy things like Akroma because there is almost no answer to her. I've wondered if they make completely uncastable creatures (like 10+) with "I win" written on them how many would see action in OnBC.

K

Killerbob

You´re right, but we´re talking casual here. For a casual deck Dragon Storm could be ok. And you have access to every single manaaccelleration card ever printed...

T

train

I've wondered if they make completely uncastable creatures (like 10+) with "I win" written on them how many would see action in OnBC.
It would see play in my Sneak Attack deck.;)