Doubling Season

D

depolarization

http://findmagiccards.com/Cards/RA/Doubling_Season.html

The card just begs to be played!

Fading? Saproling Burst, Parallax Wave, TangleWire

Tokens galore? Nemata, Parallel Evolution, riptide replicators (counters & tokens)

Counters? Phytohydra, Ivy Elemental, Phantom Nishoba

There's just so much to do with this card...

My idea here is to do some fast token generation with Saproling Burst...I have so many enchantments I said to myself...why don't I play with argothian enchantress (need 4) enchantresses? Or perhaps just use symbiotic deployment or overwhelming instinct to draw cards.

I thought about sac effects with fecundity fo drawing...a la fallen angel/nantuko husk.

Sure I could use Altar of Dimentia with the huge amount of burst power, but that would piss too many people off.

I guess what I'm asking is what sort of things can I incorporate into the deck based around this card....just begs for a deck...

Or I may just default, spring for some Masters of the Hunt and just swarm with wolves because they're so fuzzy and howly. That and while I'm thinking of Legends cards Concordant Crossroads is too sexy not to use.

-depolarization

M

Mikeymike

Doubling Season is one of the sweetest green enchantments to roll through in a long time. There are way, way too many things you can do with it. Saproling Burst is kind of scary strong. I'll make 5 5/5's...oh yeah, they've got haste.

- Forgotten Ancient. Holy obnoxiousness Batman
- AEther Vial
- Spikes: Weaver, Feeder, and Triskelion (OK, not a spike, but you see the idea). Essentially any creature that gets counters when it comes into play. (If you plan to play C-Crossroads, play that Weaver.)
- Necroplasm (that card is sweet too)

Creature token goodness delivers:
- Deranged Hermit
- Spontaneous Generation (underrated)
- Siege-Gang Commander (Goblin Bombardment sub-theme?)
- Scatter the Seeds (how much do I love Ravnica?)

Other tricks:
- Temper
- Test of Faith
- Gemstone Mine (and Masques Depletion or Storage lands)
- Anything that uses Cumulative Upkeep as a positive-for-you effect (Cumulative upkeep officially uses counters)
- Powder Keg
- Soul Foundry
- Power Conduit (it should double counters as it moves them)

If you want to go in a different direction, Darksteel Reactor can definitely work.

But this thing can easily be a force for mono-green casual. So very nice.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I'm guessing that multiple copies are cumulative too. If that's true, three of this sucker makes your Goblin Bomb active whenever you win the coin flip!

N

Nightstalkers

Many ways you can abuse that. Now what if you had two or three in play?

You could even throw in a darksteel reactor or some such nonsense to make it even more scary.

S

sageridder

Or voyager staff and the right cip creatures.x2 + x2 might be a good thing.

F

Force of Will Smith

I think this enchantment just helps saproling decks after turn 4 or 5 and takes them from .. woot i have 8 1/1s to btw... i got 50..

i envision a deck that exploits a couple combos... one.. blood clock/umbilicus
or the artifact "statue" that returns a non artifact permanent of the same type..

it might go like this..
t1: forest, chatter of the squirrel
t2: forest, saproling aura (the one that gives 2 1/1 saprolings)

then mayble flashback the squirrel for another.. or toss a cradle down
for four green to play saproling symbiosis... or toss down doubling season in a couple turns..

i think it has the potential to be fast as hell..

i think you could also splash the 9/14 trampler who gives you saprolings when you play green spells.. just use natural order or pattern of rebirth,etc.

S

Striking Dragon

Sunburst? 8/8 Etched Oracle for 4, Clearwater Goblet for 10 a turn, Infused arrows for 8, SOLARION!, Opaline Bracers for 8, Heliophial for 10, Sawtooth Thresher can swing for 21.

The volvers also work well with this card.

Does 2x Heartstone + DS + 2 Spikes = + infinity counters? (take off one put on 2?)

S

sageridder

Heartstone Rules Text (Oracle):
Creatures’ activated abilities cost 1 less to play.
If this would make an ability cost 0 or less mana to play, it costs 1 , plus any nonmana costs.So I don't belive so but it could make a bunch.I think if you go at this with spikes it would be good to go G/B do all the counter swap tricks you can leaving bb1 open and drop the Spike Cannibal of massive size.

For limited of course DS has much synergy with Twilight Drover,or just nice to stop someone from dropping a hunted whatever.

S

sageridder

Doubling season + Deranged Hermit + Followed Footsteps. Fast mana from green and bounce and counter spells from blue to protect it some tutors or transmute cards to get what you need, I think this might be fun.

D

depolarization

sageridder said:
Doubling season + Deranged Hermit + Followed Footsteps. Fast mana from green and bounce and counter spells from blue to protect it some tutors or transmute cards to get what you need, I think this might be fun.
Awesome idea!

I'm just staying away from blue lately due to my overdose in the tourney scene. It's a mean mistress, but I like! I like! I may just try this out a little without too much countermagic...then with opposition instead of glare of subdual. I'm a little afraid to use things like stasis as well...just mean.

S

sageridder

How about scatter the seeds/isochron Scepter/doubling season just cause it's kinda funny.Or twilight drover/trophy hunter/doubling season.

D

depolarization

In testing, it's basically worked out like this:

Doubling Season + Saproling Burst = Good Game!

I've made the deck a little slower than it could be but it has good interactions with everything. I'm considering removing the Greater Good because by the time it's usable, the deck's done...usually. Still looking for a decent draw engine for consistency but about the only thing that could do it are enlightened tutors I think. Enchantresses took too many slots up. I thought of Sterling Groves (don't have them) as well but feel that the tutors are better because they're faster to get an enchantment piece that should be in your hand but isn't first turn.

4 Doubling Season
4 Saproling Bursts
2 Parallax Wave
3 Dowsing Shamans
3 Regrowth
4 Selesnya Guildmage
4 Sakura Tribe Elders
3 Greater Good
4 Twilight Drover
1 Nullmage Shepherd
2 Replenish (works well with the Greater Good and Recovery from massive enchantment removal).
4 Heartbeat of Spring
1 Hour of Reckoning (I know it's win-by-more, but it's so pretty foiled...to note, I've never used it FTW...ever!)

2 Temple Gardens
4 Bushlands
11 Forest
7 Plains

er something like that (don't have the deck in front of me)

Cranial Extraction loves me :p

Seems to work out to my happiness and satisfaction. It stands up rather well to aggro. Extraction can own me up rather hard and fast. Extract my Saproling Burst, the POWER's gone, but it can still stand up, just nowhere near as well. I tried playing with the city tree, but by the time I had 4 mana to use for it, I'd rather be using Guildmages. Probably the only dream card I can think of for the deck right now is a set of Savannahs...dunno yet because though they're about half the price of Underground Seas they are pricey and I'm going for that slick black dragon right now.

K

KingAlanI

Doubling Season added to my wantlist.

I have a Selesnya deck: Double Saprolings, and as a nice side effect, double +1/+1 counters from Chorus of the Conclave's effect.

I also might get one for my "regular" green deck.
That has 4 Elven Rites and 4 Spike Feeders; doubling the +1/+1 counters from those might be nice.

Combining this with Thallids would be really nice: double spore counters AND double Saproling tokens.

I've seen this combined with Graft too.

Any ideas for this card's use?