Door to Nothingness

H

Homestar

LOL, thats the funniest thing ive heard all day. i am actually starting to think the door stinks cuz, i think i might have said this b4, i dont like cards that say "you win the game" or, "your opponent loses". i like to earn my victory. and its kinda hard to activate

T

train

then wouldn't you be "earning" the victory if it takes work to activate...

C

chocobo_cid

Originally posted by Homestar
i like to earn my victory.
The best way to earn a victory is to utilize an often overlooked card that really sucks and win with it.

Reducing the opponent's life to zero through combat damage gets really boring after a while.

N

Nightstalkers

Meh... You kids these days...

I just think that a good strategy that utilizes something a little difficult to control is okay. I've seen too many people using a black control deck, or a green stompy, and quite frankly I'm getting a bit edgy about it. Any kid with a father who's ready to shell out a few dollars can throw together a stompy elf deck that'll beat the pants off ya, but it takes another sort of person to throw together something completely off the wall and suicidal.

Come on, I play a blue donation deck (with only a psychic vortex, 2 donates, and 3 illusions of grandeur) and I enjoy switching out 15 cards every game to see how much harder it is to get my strategies to work.

Hopefully, noone that I refer here knows who I am so can't use that fact to their advanted :D

(Although, I'd like you all to try... Seth, Jesus, & Anthony :p )

T

train

Here's where it varies - pulling off a combo - not work...

pulling off a combo when dealing with something that easily stops the combo - work...

C

chocobo_cid

I'm sorry, train, but I'm confused by that last post. Please clarify.

T

train

It's not hard to pull off Aluren creature combos... but trying to do it when facing an arcane laboratory means having the right utility in the deck to deal with it, and if not having the utility, then playing around the arcane...

C

chocobo_cid

What did you mean by "work?" If I understand your last post correctly, then that means that you got 'em switched.

C

chocobo_cid

Right.

As per the example of arcane lab, a boomerang would work.

Train hates it so...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I think the idea is that the opponent also has stuff to deal with the Boomerang...

Note that if one had Ertai, Wizard Adept or another such countering ability out along with the lab it is a tough lock to break. You have to actually cast spells on both player's turns until they run out of countermagic and have a tapped out Ertai on your turn, while you still have a spell available, THEN use it to deal with the Lab...

It really has happened...

...but not when Ophidians were attacking on the side of the Lab player...

C

chocobo_cid

Then, I assume, the win condition could be by any common blue method: i.e. Donate Illusions, etc.

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by chocobo_cid
Then, I assume, the win condition could be by any common blue method: i.e. Donate Illusions, etc.
Yeah right... most blue decks now-a-days go for either milling or damage.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, the Donate bit is lots of fun, but it is two cards and they aren't particularly useful until you have them both and the opponent is locked down...

Morphling works pretty well though, along with some other choice attackers blue has to offer...

Or artifact creatures. One of my favorites is a certain Urza's Destiny creature that can deal with any potential Ophidian blockers... PING!

Of course, if you're using Thieving Magpie instead of Ophidian, which I don't, but others have, then you don't even need another card to win after locking them down...

T

train

I think this thread has pretty much named all the cards that make blue suck... except island...

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by train
I think this thread has pretty much named all the cards that make blue suck... except island...

It doesnt' suck... its just a little on the powerful side with some cards (just like green, black, red, and even white). What I suggest for casual players to do is to build a deck with at least one weakness in it, and try to cover that weakness up during the game instead of in the deckbuilding stage.

I know its a crazy idea, but the research did conclude that 86% of all M:TG players are already insane to begin with.

T

train

So the other 14 percent of Magic players is sane...

Is this like the middle, top, or bottom 14 percent of the Magic player?...

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by Oversoul
What percentage of statistics are made up on the spot?
Exactly 48% of all percentages are made up on the spot... 22% are tainted precentages made from equal amounts of star dust and pixie extract, and the other 30% are actually true.

C

chocobo_cid

I beg to differ in that regard. Tainted percentages are made from pixie dust and star extract. Even then, they are not of equal amounts, but instead directly related to the global market for such trinkets.