Discuss a Card : Tsabo's Web

N

NeuroDeus

I'm going to open up a new Discuss a Card Thread each week with a new card each week. I would like people to dicuss the card and give advantages and disadvantages. If this goes well, I'll make an article.

H

Hetemti

Pro: Kills port, cantrip.
Con: In my local environment, the only nonbasic that has nonmana abilites that's ever seen is Yavamaya Hollow, oohhh...regen! An ability that adds .5-1 to a critter's CCC. Ahhh!

Verdict: Fodder.

D

Duel

Advantages: Stops Ports, stops Kor Haven, stops Kelond necropolis, stops Rath's edge. No card disadvantage.

Drawback: Can be useless. Stops you from playing with the aforementioned lands. Can act as a target for your own dismantling blow, if all else fails.

Verdict: Unusable in casual play. Definately a competitor in tournaments.

Z

Zadok001

Strong in tourneys. I really like the Web on most principles, to be honest - It's cheap, and it lets you draw a card. Ignoring all the rest of that text, that's fairly strong right there. I've been known to run four in a deck for the sole purpose of drawing cards. Yes, two mana IS a cost, but it's rarely game-shattering. And it's very, very good against Port and the rest of the death-harbinging lands out there.

Killer Joe

However, my local metagame doesn't have Ports running wild, so I am considering putting them in my sideboard and replacing them with ,....what?....that's right, more counter-magic, whoopie!
The only time they were BAD for me was when I was playing some weird Fires deck (only w/o the Fires) and my Web's got Artifact Mutation'd, WTF!?

B

Baskil

If you're running U/W control and there aren't many Ports, why not use those spots for Opt or Brainstorm? They're essentially the same thing without the drawback of it being an artifact.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Pros: Cheap. Stops ports, which have been staples in decks. Draw a card for 2 colorless. Great.

Cons:Let me get back to you on that.

Ransac, cpa trash man

N

NeuroDeus

Did anyone notice it DOES NOT stops Gaea's Cradle?

I forgot to put DOES NOT

[Edited by NeuroDeus on 01-05-01 at 12:27 PM]

K

K9Archmage

I'm sorry to interrupt.Can anyone tell me what that card is?

HOipa

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Tsabo's Web
Artifact
Lands with activated abilities that don't produce mana do not untap during their controllers' untap steps.
When Tsabo's Web comes into play, draw a card.

I think this is almost exactly correct.

But you could have found that out without asking. At least you should have said whether you liked it or not, even if you didn't know! .... just kidding.

Pros: Stops Rishadan Port, Maze of Ith, Dust Bowl, Sorrow's Path, Safe Haven, Maze of Shadows, Terminal Moraine, High Market, Mishra's Factory, Forbidden Watchtower, Faerie Conclave, Spawning Pool, Ghitu Encampment, Treetop Vilage, Kjeldoran Outpost, Balduvian Trading Post, Soldevi Excavations, Heart of Yavimaya, Yavimaya Hollow, Shivan Gorge, Thawing Glaciers, City of Shadows, Hammerheim, Urborg, Tolaria, Pendelhaven, Karakas, Strip Mine, Oasis, Desert, Elephant Graveyard, Library of Alexandria, Bazaar of Baghdad, Island of Wak-Wak, Diamond Valley, Ice Floe, Bad River, Mountain Valley, Grasslands, Rocky Tar Pit, Flood Plain, Quicksand, Griffin Canyon, Winding Canyons, Ghost Town (well, not really), Reflecting Pool (when it is the only land), Stalking Stones, Wasteland, Volrath's Stronghold, Fountain of Cho, Saprazzan Cove, Subterrenean Hangar, Mercadian Bazaar, Rushwood Grove, Tower of the Magistrate, Kor Haven, Rath's Edge, Terrain Generator, Wintermoon Mesa, Meteor Crater (when you control no colored permanents), and Keldon Necropolis (did I miss any?)

Cons: sux

My levels of eloquence are fluctuating wildly.

To repeat: I talk good and bad today.

K

K9Archmage

MY GOD THAT SUX! ACtually, it CAN be useful. But i rarely ever play against people with lands like that.

Hoipa

E

Elrond

I like the card based on the fact that it's a cantrip that has the possibility of shutting down an opponent's lands. I finally got one the other day and I probably won't use it because there's only land like that in my playgroup is Heart of Yavimaya and that's not that much of a problem.

Thallid: If I'm not mistaken it also stops the cycling lands, but I'm not certain.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Elrond- That's a very good point! I think I'll post it in the Rules forum to make sure.

D

Duel

BTW, a note here.
Gab Tsang's U/W deck consisted of 4 maindecked webs. His reasoning? Well, at worst they were no card disadvantage and a possible target for dismantiling blow with kicker.