Discard/Scion

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yes, but why link to the Vintage format information? One Mind Twist is okay in Vintage, and Hymn isn't restricted...

T

Terentius

Who were you talking to? This is my deck; I started the thread. Were you talking to Limited?

L

Limited

I'm sorry about the confussion about my post.. hasty posting on my part.
The 4x Hymn 'remark' is there because I verily detest that card, but Tsi's response describing his 'casual' environment merits it's use.
The link to the restricted list was a sneer to the question:
Tsi said:
I found this card, is it good?
I tend to think cards on the restricted list are good; they are restricted for a reason.

Looking back on the original post I see how it looks like I was pointing out the deck wasn't Vintage legal, but that was not intended (and you all pointed out, not true).

My sincerest apologies.

L

Limited

Oversoul said:
Because it has eaten your hand up in the past?
Because random discard seems to have the uncanny talent for picking the best cards in my hand; if an opponent gets to choose and discard some I can still hope he misses some clue as what the deck is about and might make me remove something I don't need.. But the Random knows.. the Random KNOWS!!!

T

Terentius

Ugh... I just played with this deck the other day.

Data gathered showed it does very well when Hymn to Tourach does what it's supposed to: eliminate threats before they reach the field. But I find that some stupid non-creature permanents can **** me up if Hymn misses them (a stupid defense deck with Powerstone Minefield)... I think I need to put in Duress. But do I take out Gerrard's Verdict?

L

Limited

Or maybe you could add some enchantment removal in the form of disenchant?

T

Terentius

The Powerstone Minefield was just an example. One of the toughest decks I face is a Pinging deck, and I would really like to get rid of his things like Sigil of Sleep and Charisma before he can put them out, especially becauset hey don't cost much. However, there are an equal number of non-permanent, non-creature things that if I were to discard would cripple a deck, like Patriarch's Bidding from my own Zombie deck.

Anywho, even if I did put in Disenchant, what does it take the place of? Gerrard's Verdict? Necromancy? I'd really not rather part with any of the current cards in my deck, but if I continue to have this problem of being beaten by bomb cards, something needs to change.

L

Limited

You could try dropping one Verdict and one Necromancy for two Disenchants.. and keep notes on how many times you use a Vindicate to destroy an artifact or enchantment; perhaps you could play three of each...

M

Mikeymike

Tsi said:
The Powerstone Minefield was just an example. One of the toughest decks I face is a Pinging deck, and I would really like to get rid of his things like Sigil of Sleep and Charisma before he can put them out, especially becauset hey don't cost much. However, there are an equal number of non-permanent, non-creature things that if I were to discard would cripple a deck, like Patriarch's Bidding from my own Zombie deck.

Anywho, even if I did put in Disenchant, what does it take the place of? Gerrard's Verdict? Necromancy? I'd really not rather part with any of the current cards in my deck, but if I continue to have this problem of being beaten by bomb cards, something needs to change.
Regarding the Sigils/Charisma's, if those are your biggest threats then you should be playing more instant creature kill in place of the discard. Not only do you get 2-for-1's when he casts, but when he casts the Charisma you'd likely be able to able to steal a turn from him as well.

Given that he's sporting pingers, Terror should do a good job at popping them quickly and cheaply. If you can afford the mana, Wail of the Nim can put a seriously 1-sided hurting on him. Actually you are playing white, Swords to Plowshares would be ideal. The good thing about these cards is that none of them are very likely to ever be wasted cards in casual play, and you wouldn't be hating on 1 particular player since all of the cards are useful.

T

Terentius

I can't run both Swords to Plowshares and Vindicate... it would compromise my deck. If I were to run it instead, this would be a totally different deck... and not as good. The Vindicate is supposed to work in conjuction with Hymn and Company to neutralize the threats. And it usually does, but... there are just a few decks where there's more annoying things that I can discard in the first 3-4 turns.

M

Mikeymike

You can run them together, but you're right, not without compromising the deck. If you decide to stray away from the Supplicant theme, then keep them in mind.

J

jorael

Decks that win every time are rare (actually, theoretically only one would exist:)). Winning most games, or at least doing the stuff the deck should do sounds great to me.

Make another deck to beat those charisma/sigil/whatever decks!

L

Limited

Yeah.. a deck including Aura Thiefs.. :D

@jorael: A remark of actual magic theory. You make us proud!