Denied!

M

Mikeymike

Instead of Rhystic Scrying I would run Prosperities w/ Foil back up. You can generate tons of man obviously, you guys both draw, Daze or Foil what they try to drop, and help out your Mill theme. Stroke of Genius instead of the Prosperites isn't a bad idea either. Whoever suggested War Tax, that's a great idea in here.

S

Seeker of Truth

FoundationOfRancor:

I like that Soothsaying idea. I wonder if I could run two Soothsayings and two Stroke of Geniuses or something, or would that lower the chances of drawing Soothsaying too much? There really isn't enough room to play four Soothsayings and four (or even two) Strokes, as far as I can tell, so it comes down to being able to draw the right card one at a time, or drawing a whole bunch of cards that may not be useful.

Mikeymike:

I was debating whether Misdirection or Foil was a better pitch counterspell. Now that I think of it, there really isn't a whole lot of kill cards that Misdirection would work against, so Foil may go back in after all.

Now I'm wondering between Soothsaying and Stroke. Which would make more sense in this deck? If anyone has an opinion either way, don't hesitate to let me know! :)

F

FoundationOfRancor

WHy not use prosperity like Mike said? Its cheaper than Stroke and also decks your oppenet. It also fills your hand for FOIL.

M

Mikeymike

I'm a big proponent of Soothsaying, but I personally would rather have card drawing than library manipulation in this deck. The more I think about it, the better prosperity works in here. You get to draw X cards, so does the opponent helping to deck him. Plus with the Millstones and Denying Winds you'll always have the bigger library.

Also, if you Prosper after a Denying Wind deck rape, you'll know you what you have to save those counters for.

My vote goes
4 Prosperity
4 Foil
3 War Tax
3 Power Sink

B

Bladefall

Well, you need creatures, and you said you would like to have some bouncers. Solution..

WATERFRONT BOUNCER!

A creature with a bouncing ability. Also, even better....

ROOTWATER THIEF!!!

Adds to the milling theme!

Think about it. I just gave 2 creatures, which you need, to support your strategies.

L

Lythand

Rootwater thief would be cool to use in this deck but it is not "milling" . Milling referes to the old artifact Mill Stone where you remove cards from tho top of your library to your graveyard. Rootwater thief renmoves them from the game. But yes, it is still library munipulation of your opponant.

C

Cateran Overlord

What does blue use for spot creature removal? It bounces!
Unsummon
Seal of Removal
Withdraw
Snap
Rescind
Bouncer
Temporal Adept
and so on...

Conversely, Caltrops would also be a good sideboard vs decks with lots of cheap weenies (which is quite a few).

S

Seeker of Truth

OK, all this time I was wondering why everyone kept suggesting Prosperity when I had specifically stated that I wanted to run a Type II deck, and then it hit me that Prosperity IS Type II-legal.

But anyway, Prosperity may be a good idea after all. Another benefit of Prosperity is that it can't be Misdirected like Stroke can. Do any of you think it makes a difference that Prosperity is a Sorcery while Stroke is an Instant? Besides the fact that Prosperity would cost about $5 less to buy as a single.

Mikeymike:

Thanks for the idea. I thought that Foil's ACC is kind of awkward to try and pay, but the mana engine and Prosperity should help me afford those counterspells, shouldn't they?

Cateran Overlord and Bladefall:

Thanks for the suggestions, but if at all possible, I want to try and keep this deck creatureless. The last couple of times I used this deck I played against creature-based strategies and did pretty well, so I don't want to commit to using creatures unless it's proven that this deck just won't work without them. I thought War Tax was a pretty good idea for creature control, so that's about all the control I have for now outside of counterspells. Of course, if you think this is just plain crazy, let me know about it. :)

M

Mikeymike

To answer your question, I think its being a sorcery shouldn't hurt you too much. As long as you leave at least 2 mana open, you will probably draw 1 or 2 counters. Prosperity will work best after a Denying wind though.

Also, don't be afraid to pay Foil's cost in the late game if you don't want to use the ACC. But I've found through playing w/ it in a few decks that with heavy card drawing, I almost never mind paying the ACC.

You can also play the cool Portal version of Prosperity too.